->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:17 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Everybody !

Here are few pics of last weeks catch. We caught around 70kgs of them.

around 25 kg was fried at the location. Rest was stored in the ice boxes.

Hope you guys will like it.

Cheers,
Salim & Team !

Green treat for your eyes

Few of our non angling friends who accompanied us. Lunch was dal, rice and fish fry.

One of our frnds

Catch

Me

Tariq bhai

Iqbal Bhai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:15 am 
Fishaholic

Great catch. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Was it a river or a lake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

River & backwaters !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 am 
Fishaholic

Good Going Salim Bhai,

Some lovely catches.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Mulley galore!
Congrats.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice mulleys and pics Salim bhai :D

Congratulation to the team and thanks for sharing...

The jeep in the last pic is looking awesome!

Thanks and Regards
Arish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:54 am 
Fishaholic

Great pictures and great fishing! Congratulations! If we can access good lakes near our cities then fishing for catfish/ snakehead would probably give great sport on light tackle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:45 am 
Fishaholic

Very nice catches! Good pics!

ashokpkl wrote:
If we can access good lakes near our cities then fishing for catfish/ snakehead would probably give great sport on light tackle.

Your right! Its super crazy to have one of those marrals on light tackle or even better or extra light tackle!.... Just that the latter if not experienced like me! you loose a few spoons! can get expensive! but then again on another post by the same team! there is a spoon! which can be made, Its real easy to find the raw materials!.... Thats something that can help people learn and not waste their money....

Good on you mates!

Thanks for sharing Salim Bhai

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Congratulations on the fishing..... but tooooooo many fish destroyed. I see that you are a rather senior figure, and therefore maybe you should consider what kind of example you are setting, by taking so many fish which you must have undoubtedly given to friends and family, who can well afford to buy their fish from their the market. Pls consider the effect of taking so many breeding fish out of any water. Its just not sensible !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram !

Please suggest me what should be done.

I understand your perspective.

I know where you're coming from.

Let me tell you that we released more than 70-80 fishes that were of 1 kg size or maybe little less.

Here are few thoughts that were running on my mind as i was reading this post.

Are these fishes endangered ? they are spreading like forest fire.

We don't get fishes of this taste anywhere in Hyderabad, whether someone affords to buy it or not.

We eat fish at least 4 days a week.

We fish to kill and kill to eat ! There is not doubt about it.

Fishermen breed rohu and catla and they say, these fishes are a threat to these fishes.

Any new thoughts i will update on this post.

If you suggest i will release the fishes of sizes till 1.5kg.

If this makes sense then let me know.

Cheers
Salim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:02 am 
Fishaholic

I second you salim. there are some species which are a pest to the waters and are better not released. But it depends from area and location to location. Like say for example you might want to catch and release a carp that you caught but the same fish is a mess in the lakes of Mississippi in IL.

I am certain Salim will show responsibility in releasing the fish that needs to be released.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:11 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Salim,

You are thinking on the right terms, regarding the pest species such as and common carp, tilapias and magurs. Mulley though is not a species that is actively cultivated. On the other hand it is native to our waters and therefore a part of the original water systems. It is mulley that in fact would also be keeping a lot of the pest species that have invaded these original water systems in check as they are a predatory fish. It is in fact possible that the mulley are on the increase as they get more of these invasive species to eat. It is nature's own system of pest control and you are destroying the medicine !!! Even though they might be plenty of those fish in that particular locality, it is definitely a fish which is on the decline in a lot of places such as Assam where i am from, especially due to OVERFISHING. There a good mulley is a prize rather that a pest, due the rarity of it. Big stocks of such fish (which you are lucky to have found), usually find their way into connected watersystems and are responsible for maintaining a healthy population not just in a 100 km's radius but far beyond that.

While fishing to kill and killing to eat is a saying that holds true for oneself, but not when 4 or 6 rods fish for 20 people. Two 3 kilo fish is enough to see a family of 4 or 5 people through two weeks. I know because i am a huge foody and love fish myself. And FYI i have also taken mulley home and will continue to do so, but just not in the quantities that far exceed MY household needs.

Anyway, i hope you and Deez see some sense in what i say. But you are the elder and i cant tell you what to do or not to do, but its just my thought.
Tight lines and all the best.

Vikram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

vikrambora wrote:
Hello Salim,

You are thinking on the right terms, regarding the pest species such as and common carp, tilapias and magurs. Mulley though is not a species that is actively cultivated. On the other hand it is native to our waters and therefore a part of the original water systems. It is mulley that in fact would also be keeping a lot of the pest species that have invaded these original water systems in check as they are a predatory fish. It is in fact possible that the mulley are on the increase as they get more of these invasive species to eat. It is nature's own system of pest control and you are destroying the medicine !!! Even though they might be plenty of those fish in that particular locality, it is definitely a fish which is on the decline in a lot of places such as Assam where i am from, especially due to OVERFISHING. There a good mulley is a prize rather that a pest, due the rarity of it. Big stocks of such fish (which you are lucky to have found), usually find their way into connected watersystems and are responsible for maintaining a healthy population not just in a 100 km's radius but far beyond that.

While fishing to kill and killing to eat is a saying that holds true for oneself, but not when 4 or 6 rods fish for 20 people. Two 3 kilo fish is enough to see a family of 4 or 5 people through two weeks. I know because i am a huge foody and love fish myself. And FYI i have also taken mulley home and will continue to do so, but just not in the quantities that far exceed MY household needs.

Anyway, i hope you and Dezz see some sense in what i say. But you are the elder and i cant tell you what to do or not to do, but its just my thought.
Tight lines and all the best.

Vikram

Hi Vikram,

As per what little I read it says this species is "Destructive to other more valuable food-fishes" and that it doubles up in 15 months and is only. However, it also states that "Lower risk - near threatened status in Western Ghats, India". It is not threatened due to less cultivation but more due to over harvesting.

And as I said Salim is definitely a matured human being to understand that we have to sustain the fishes so our generations can enjoy this sport as well. So to Salim, on a subtle note, take what you need not what you want as you know human wants are never ending :)

And when you say 25 kgs of wallago attu Do you mean you actually weighed the fish because I was wondering the appetite of all of the guys present there :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I agree with both of you. I've been fishing the Manjeera river right form backwater of singoor to a stretch of 220km till pochampad.

The nos are definitely going down but the number is still very big.

All of our team members release the fishes of size 1kg and below. We also release some big trophy size fishes like 10+kg.

We try for Murrel/snakehead for first few hours 530 till 8am ..then we cast for mulleys form 8-11 and close the day.

I agree with your guys...i want our children to enjoy catching these fishes when they grow up.

Cheers
Salim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

flyhigh wrote:
Hi,

I agree with both of you. I've been fishing the Manjeera river right form backwater of singoor to a stretch of 220km till pochampad.

The nos are definitely going down but the number is still very big.

All of our team members release the fishes of size 1kg and below. We also release some big trophy size fishes like 10+kg.

We try for Murrel/snakehead for first few hours 530 till 8am ..then we cast for mulleys form 8-11 and close the day.

I agree with your guys...i want our children to enjoy catching these fishes when they grow up.

Cheers
Salim

I had this thought of mentioning the same before but vikram did!
After reading these posts all I can say is well said Salim!
This line....
says it all! you are grown up and mature enough to know what your doing! be it catching or releasing or eating!
More over many people might take home a lot more and say they were released etc.
I truly appreciate your honesty! having said this I must also say not everyone will....
THIS FORUM PROMOTES "CATCH AND RELEASE"
Samajhdar ko ishara kafi hai!
I bet my money! you are Samajhdar! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Best Regards,