->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Catfish on Spinners
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:29 pm 

Can one catch catfish on spinners, what other lures can I use to catch catfish.

Second question, besides worms what bait should I use, any tips on casting, reeling back in, depth, float or no float...sorry for all the questions but I need to land some fish this weekend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Catfish do not take spinners as they are more attracted to the smell of the bait. Chicken Guts (intestine), worms or normal bread paste with vanilla would do the trick...Chicken guts are their favourite....

Try to use a carolina rig where the line can move freely irrespective of the weight and than do bottom fishing.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry to disagree with you Christopher but catfish can be caught on spinners. Catfish will often feed on small fish so a replication in the form of a lure will often do the trick if it is placed in the correct zone.We have caught Mulley on the cauvery with a silver mepps aglia size 2. In south Africa mangur are often targetted with lures such as rubber shads and large rubber grubs so I imagine the same will work in India.

Undoubtedly a smelly bait such as Christoper suggests will do the trick particularly if you are unsure of the location of your target fish. Once located lures could be employed in that specific area.

As for technique with bait...Use a simple sliding leger rig or a paternoster and fish with a tight line with a policeman to indicate bites. These rigs will place the bait on the bottom which is the main feeding area for most species ofcatfish. if using a float make sure you meaure the depth of the water correctly so your bait is sitting hard on the bottom.

hope this helps, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:47 pm 
Fishaholic

I think Christopher is referring to just one or two species of catfish. Catfish are a major group, Scott is spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:30 pm 

Thanks Gentlemen (fishermen)

Chris any idea what sub-species are caught at Vemagal? additionally besides cat does Vemgal have tilapia, rohu or any other fish?

Hope you are joining us? PM me if you need to

Clive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:29 am 

sorry bob and scot i dont know about ur location but in india chances of stink bait is very much high compare to rubber shad,rubber fish lure etc..as per my experience i am not able to caught any fish by using plastic fish lure in muddy water which is very common in india...i prefer stinking bait such as 1. chicken internel (must be red in colour), 2. heart,3. red flesh like thing just next to intestine i dont know it name and make sure it must flesh color(red) and mix with some hing...i used 3rd one and it gave me very good result ..please dont use chicker liver and intestine because they lost colour in drifting water..rubber or plastic lures may work in river or big channels ..

saud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:50 am 
Fishaholic

Cat fish are also caught on wobblers
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Christopher Rodrick wrote:
Catfish do not take spinners as they are more attracted to the smell of the bait. Chicken Guts (intestine), worms or normal bread paste with vanilla would do the trick...Chicken guts are their favourite....

Try to use a carolina rig where the line can move freely irrespective of the weight and than do bottom fishing.....

Catfish will happily take lures... if the lure is used in the correct manner...

Spinners and plugs work brilliantly up north for Singhada (Sperata Aor), Mulley (Wallago Attu) and Goonch (Bagarius Yarrelli).

Smelly baits pull more turtles and very few catfish!!! Add to that the icky factor!!!

Cheers,

IG :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 am 
Fishaholic

indiangypsy wrote:

Catfish will happily take lures... if the lure is used in the correct manner...

Spinners and plugs work brilliantly up north for Singhada (Sperata Aor), Mulley (Wallago Attu) and Goonch (Bagarius Yarrelli).

Smelly baits pull more turtles and very few catfish!!! Add to that the icky factor!!!

Cheers,

I liked the Icky factor best. :lol: :lol: :lol:

best way to catch catfishes, except Mangur, is spinners, spoons or lure. They will readily take artificial baits.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject: To Clive's post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:24 am 
Enlightened

Clive,
I don't think there's any mistake asking question as everyone are in a process of learn.... no one is an expert ..... yes all baits mentioned Chris's are fine, it depends on where you are fishing...... for muddy water lure would not do any favor.... though you can try live baits ...good luck..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

indiangypsy wrote:

Cheers,

Tell me about it. Them damn toitles made the year 2009 a complete disaster. But now they have been left behind.

Or have they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Never say never until you hit the pumps in the summer !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:24 pm 
Fishaholic

OH! Et tu Brutus.