->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:45 pm 
Enlightened

Since there is a growing concern among members for the survival of the mahseer would it be possible with the help of Bops to get together a core group to ascertain the causes of the decline in numbers of the fish, particularly 50lbs and above and evolve a solution to the problem. I have my own reasons but members are free to put forward their own when the group is formed and meets formally.

Owen and Jeen have agreed to join.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Don,

Count me in. I am already doing my bit for the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary.
The recent stats on the release of water from Karnataka to TN may be co-related to the fish caught.

Sandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Sandeep

How was your trip? Will you be joining us at 10am tomorrow at Lalbagh?

Bops

Post subject: Protecting the mahseer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:09 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks Sandeep, your assistance will be invaluable to the cause.

I will be fishing off the Chennai coast from Feb 12 to 14 hoping to strike big kings and maybe if luck a sail.

Don

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Don Smith wrote:
Since there is a growing concern among members for the survival of the mahseer would it be possible with the help of Bops to get together a core group to ascertain the causes of the decline in numbers of the fish, particularly 50lbs and above and evolve a solution to the problem.
Don

I would like to add my 2 cents here:

Unless they are regularly introducing fingerlings into the Cauvery and you are experiencing what you have stated above, they there is a problem.

However, if there is no introduction of fingerlings and you are experiencing this. It is a very good thing, especially if you guys are catching a lot of small Mahseer. If it were the other way round, believe it or not it would mean you have a serious problem on your hands. As crazy as this may sound it is correct.

This is an accepted trend of thought and any respected fisheries expert should tell you the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:40 pm 
Fishaholic

There are a lot of small ones in the river this year Bobby. I think the last year was a bumper crop, and i was happy to see quite a few baby mussullah instead of the predominant kudhree. It means that things are heading in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:33 am 
Fishaholic

Yes Owen, that is good news indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:35 am 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
There are a lot of small ones in the river this year Bobby. I think the last year was a bumper crop, and i was happy to see quite a few baby mussullah instead of the predominant kudhree. It means that things are heading in the right direction.

Hi Owen,

That's one thing I noticed as well and was really happy to see. We had a small chilwa rod out at all times as the conditions were perfect for live bait. The only small fish we caught were mahseer. We landed small mahseer at Kengal, Moslehalla, and the rapid just above Galibori. At points was quite frustrating as we just couldn't get bait. All the small fish we landed were mussullah and were 5 to 7 inches long. Guess the fish are from last season, which shows there was a sudden spurt in their breeding which is great.
The only other place I've caught so many small fish is at malvalli in malvalli and at Balamuri, but I don't think the locals give them a chance to get any bigger :evil:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,
On the first and second day of our trip in December we caught a lot of baby carnatics at Haira, then the day after came all the baby mahseer.
An interesting way of catching the chilwa is to use an umbrella net.
It is not the circular casting net, but a small one that has to be fitted around a metal frame like that of an umbrella.
Sprinkle a little ragi inside and let it down. Once the chilwa are inside, you close the umbrella and bring it up. Keeps the guides busy, and you don't have to worry about taking a chilwa rod out. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Don,

Any progress on this conservation move that you had initiated??

We need to do something before the next season.

Sandeep