->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Anglers Hypocrisy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Sandeep is doing a fantastic thing organization the cleanup he has. While he has taken this admirable step, we all need to do our little bit as well. I am not suggesting going to the extent Sandeep has, all of us cannot do it but there are simple things like carting and discarding your own garbage in a responsible manner. Prevention after all is better than cure.

I am astonished to see so many anglers who complain about pollution and garbage, how dirty the city is, do not do anything to prevent it themselves and in fact contribute to the mess. Before one goes about complaining you need to introspect and ask your self what are you doing to prevent messing things? I have seen anglers, even very recently dump empty plastic bottles into the water, plastic bags, knotted fishing line or line they break off just thrown where they were fishing without any thought or conscience. In the city the do not hesitate to litter and then complain about how dirty the city has become. This is what I call Anglers Hypocrisy. Contentious as this may sound, how many of us on this very forum must be guilty of this?

While people like Sandeep are going to one extreme, the rest of us must make a contribution by not contributing to the mess and at least trying to educate our friends and family about such matters.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi all,

I think Bobby has raised a valid issue. I see hoards of city folk(educated and rich) who go to JLR's property at Bheemeshwari and litter the place.Parents don't even correct their children.

Let each and every one of us on IA take a silent oath to carry back the non-biodegradable waste each time we go fishing or camping.

Let us follow the principals of "Leave no Trace" wilderness tourism. L n T.

Thanks Bobby for bringing this up.

Sandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:48 am 
Fishaholic

Well said, Bobby, Sandeep.
Every time someone talks about it, someone else listens and little by little something gets done.

It only takes a small change in attitude to realise we are responsible for our own actions. By changing our own actions, we influence others.

Keep up the good work, in five days time, I'm coming to do an inspection :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:18 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys most people have a look at garbage on land,but i who earn my living underwater its very pitifull to see the stuff lying around on the sea floor,most people have the mentality out of sight out of mind.Unfortunately India has pollution control rules but very poor implimentation.I was born in a village in Mumbai, called Poinsur,on the western railway, a small river flowed through that area fed from the moutains surrounding the national park.I swam and fished in that river we caught small indian tarpon,vaaras-small barramundi,the locals would sit on the bridge and watch the egrets and pond herons.Today that river is a sewage canal so much for development.But everymonsoon that river burst its banks in fury and submerges the surrounding areas,maybe its natures way of hitting back, teaching us a few lessons,i honestly think that the TSUNAMI was natures way of telling us folks something-THE SEA CANNOT BE CONQURED IT CAN ONLY BE SURVIVED,protect your enviroment and live :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

Well said Niel, I have fished that river as well with Rolly..I thought there were Walleye as well in there..I did not know about the Tarpon

I can still picture Rolly Yanking those buggers and the fish flying over pellmell into the bushes behind..

I remember we used to hunt water fowl further down that same river..memories Aah!!

Last edited by Bobby on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

I agree totally. Mother Nature will keep finding ways of getting back at us.

Leave no Trace. Carry back everything with you. And everytime you go back will be like the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:53 am 

Its really nice to see a clean river bank. I had a great time at bhimeshwari this time.
Maya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:59 am 
Fishaholic

She's back.... from a fishing trip.... did you catch anything? Are you going to start a new thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:01 pm 

I wish I had a nice long angling story to tell.... but one of my friends fell very ill with a bad stomach and we had to return the next day :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:22 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Maya,

Hope you all learned a lesson from that, that will make your next outing more enjoyable.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:49 am 
Fishaholic

"Leave nothing but footprints. Take nothing but photographs."

I think that was the phrase used buy one of the US outdoors groups a few years ago and it seems an appropriate mantra for anglers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Maya,

You saw a clean river bank because some of us go and clean the mess up.

You are welcome to join the volunteers and keep CWS free of plastic. Our next trip is scheduled for April14th ,2007.

BTW did anyone catch fish?

Outrigorsandeep

Post subject: litter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:39 pm 

This is a good thread. I always take any rubbish I find on the banks home in England, and will be doing the same in India. It`s disgusting and anglers should Know better. Anyone found littering on my waters back home has an instant life-time ban. If I had my way it would be execution by groundbait catapult!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

To all ye anglers carry a tablet called DEPENDOL take two at the first sign of a loose end and then one four hourly and the next day cut it to one six hourly and lo by the 2nd nite you have plugged the loose end. :oops: [smilie=smack.gif] {give me one} [smilie=smack.gif] . Carry some electrol. Bobbee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you Dr. Plumber..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah Bobbee right .... the use of Dependol had to be on conservation and enviorement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:38 pm 

Hi Bobbee,
Whats the name again? dependol? Sounds familiar , I have heard of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:58 pm 
Fishaholic

A lesson for Maya, always trust the and DEPEND on the Ol(d ) the the wise. Carry me along. :oops: [smilie=headfuck.gif] [smilie=hearts.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Jim " Bobbee " Morrison strikes again ... Rider on the storm ... im lost ... Hey OMO .. im sure you guys did Pot in the jungles ????????? Bobbee still up there and wont come down ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: [smilie=bunny.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Chaos theory!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Sandeep I am free after the 5th. Why dont you start the eco tourist bit at the lalbagh lake. Muster your birdwatchers and some of the cupa and peta members and teach them of cleaning the lake free from plastic, chow-chow, bottles, garlands, coconut shells etc. this is closer home. Then we could also teach them of eco-friendly fish like the carps and the various aglae cleaning fish, to clean the already poluted water. Teach them the lalbagh authorities will never permit netting becaause of two reasons, firstly the lalbagh lake is highly contaminated with nitrates and secondly the carps are keeping the tanks clean. There is nobody in the market willing to buy the fish from this lake. Let us further impress your friends that the fish taken out will be used as manure and there are large shoals of the `jellabee` fish cleasing the carps of the lake. You will soon see a fish kill at lalbagh. We had spoken to the authorities that with the monies they accure from the fishing permits they will add on aerators and a few water spouts. Instead your friends the non violent religous sect and the birdwatchers have poured water on our schemes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 am 
Fishaholic

beemorein wrote:
the lalbagh lake is highly contaminated with nitrates and secondly the carps are keeping the tanks clean.

OOh Nitrate contamination!! Looks like this lake is overstocked with Fish or there are Organic Pollutants directly dumped into the lake.

I have reef tank, and corrals are very sensitive to Phosphates, Nitrates and Nitrites, to achieve success you need to keep a nitrogen cycle going and keep the above to a minimum. And prevention is better than cure, you have to feed correctly and not overstock your tank, even 1 extra fish could screw the balance.

See the Nitrogen cycle I have posted below, it is third in the chain after Ammonia.

One way to control this would be to encourage the growth of underwater plant life, the downside to this would be that given the amount of Food in the form Nitrates/phospates available the plantlife could choke up the lake and as the plants die contribute in turn to the Nitrates keeping the vicious cycle going.

I reiterate, Nitrates mean organic pollutants and you guys need to find the source and catch it right there. My 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:38 pm 

With even with the best of altruistic intentions, NO ONE can catch /stop the contaminants there Bobby-major drain around the corner, plus all the cupa/peta AH's trying to save life-by letting it die due to overstocking!

HONK IF YOU HATE PETA :twisted: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

One way to do it will be to take some mangrove plants and plant them near and around the drain outlet if you can, the problem will take care of itself, but make sure the plants are the Mangrove type. Of course if sewage is being dumped into deep water then some botanist should be able to recomend a suitable plant.

Does any one know Carter Rd? Have you seen the Mangrove forest there?

When I was little we used to go the dig worms for fishing from there, at the time there were only small mangrove plants there, with the population explosion in Bandra, the drains were overloaded with sewage and contrary to polluting this place it contributed to the Mangroves. They boomed and from the small little plants that they were then the grew into towering trees.

They now attract birdlife and is also a major spawning ground for fish if one takes the time to walk through the mangroves you may be quite surprised to see what you will find in those little ponds.

Biological warfare is the way to go here mate. Just take a few mangrove plants 5 – 6 should be enough, they will just take over. :lol: :lol:

I had done something similar to a nasty neighbor who used to confiscate our cricket balls that went into his garden (which he took good care of) a few strands of cuscuta took care of that. He spent every Sunday weeding since and finally just gave up :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:09 am 
Fishaholic

Hear!! Hear!!!!

Regards
Tathagata