->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

There are always few comercial folks that do netting at the mouth of the backwater (for Mullets) where it opens in the sea. A guy from Sri Lanka said that it was illegal to net at the river mouth in Sri Lanka as it affects the ecosystem largely and also told me that it is possibly banned in India too. I heard from Pro guys here that neting at the river mouth in Kovalam makes it very hard to catch other species like Barracuda, Barramundi and Giant Trevallys by sport fishermen in that area as the neting activity disturbs the entire area heavily.

I am not sure if it is legal to net at the river mouth area in India. Also any input on this topic is very much welcome.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Every river mouth is netted I have seen it in Maharashtra Goa and Gujarat costal area. I don’t think anybody cares how they are chocking the ecosystem.

Regards,
Tathagata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:20 am 
Fishaholic

Well why should any one care... :evil:

India is a poor country and the people who net river mouths are poor people. asking them to stop doing it is " garib admi ke pet pe laath". Thats what the local corporators say.

Fish was there earlier and fish will be their later. " Chota machii net se nikalta hain na? Toh kya tension? Dont worry".

I have no idea what our Forest Dept. has to say on this.I belive the rivers are not under their dominion and if they are; they are interested in earning more revenue from areas much more frequented by anglers.

The solution i think is to arrange fishing trips with a huge group to these places and get permits from the local FDO for angling. This will make them look up and try to keep these places clear of nets.

OR.

Do something like Medha patkar and go on an indefinite fast with media attention. :?

Cheers.
Ruler of sun.