->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:16 pm 
Fishaholic

After 14 years of absence, the Mahseer fish is again going to swim free in the Indrayani river, thanks to the efforts of a concerned NGO.

Friends of Nature Association (FONA) and Shashank Ogale, from Talegaon Dabhade have decided to breed the fish in the river.

Businessman and FONA founder Mahesh Mahajan and his team, along with Shashank, are also going to be provided funding from the Central Institute of Fisheries Education which has been sanctioned by the National Fisheries Development Board.

Mahseer fish, also known as the Himalayan Mahasher or Golden Mahasher disappeared around 1985-86 from the Indrayani River which flows through Maval Taluka.

Shashank Ogale, a senior fishery scientist, along with FONA, came up with the idea of breeding the Mahseer.

“In the early days, there were no dams and water was scarce. The toxicity in the water didn’t help either and after 1985-86, no Mahseer fish were found in this riverbed,” says Ogale who had been working as Head of Corporate Social Responsibility and Environment at Tata Power Company Ltd.

He knew that the Indrayani river had Mahseer fish, and he always wanted to restore it to the river. In the meantime, various dams had been constructed which helped to increase the water levels.

Shashank then got together with FONA and decided to start breeding these species.

Talking to Mirror, Mahajan said, “We got a lot of support from Shashank and he explained the technique of breeding to us. We applied to the Central Institute of Fisheries Education in February 2010.

We gave them a proper presentation as to what it was that we wished to take up. On September 27, 2010, we got a sanction letter from them. They agreed to provide us funds of Rs 1.39 crore for three years.

They have also shown interest in the possible extension of this project for two years.”

Ogale is chairman for the project while Mahajan and FONA members Mandar Kharmal, Prenita Chavan will be assisting him.

When Mirror asked Ogale about his experience working with FONA , he said, “The best part of FONA is that it is full of young people who want to bring about change.

They are aware of their responsibilities and are very enthusiastic.”

Process of breeding
Speaking on the technical points of breeding Ogale said, “This species is found in Himachal Pradesh and in the Kaveri river as well as in Nepal. We will get the eggs of the fish from Himachal and some small as well as big fish.

The eggs will be fertilised to produce more offspring. We are going to build artificial tanks and will feed the fish in them.

They will be kept in the tank for a while so that they get acquainted with the pressure and temperature of their surroundings.”

“After they are comfortable with the environment, we will keep them in cages which will be immersed in the river. In spite of being in the river, we will be feeding them artificially in the cages as well.

This whole procedure will take around one to one-and-a half years. After being habituated with the difference in the environment, we will set them free.

Simultaneously, FONA will carry out an awareness drive for the residents and the fishermen. “We will explain the scientific side of the matter to fishermen and tell them how to fish without disturbing the reproductive cycle of the fish.

We will tell them the period when fishing should be carried out to help and maintain the life cycle of the fish,” Ogale added.

Boost for Angling
Angling is a sport which is being mostly played with Mahseer fish. This sport is very popular in western countries as well as in Himachal Pradesh. The catch-and-release technique is practiced in this sport.

The player plays with fishing hooks for a given period of time and then sets the fish free, so that they survive, thus avoiding unintended depletion of the population.

Ogale and Mahajan are planning to start the sport in the Indrayani river as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Looks like a good break for the mahseer. However I am a little concerned that they are planning on releasing Tor Putitora (Northern mahseer) from Himachal. The Deccan Mahseer is normally found in Maharashtra.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:44 pm 
Enlightened

While this is a well intentioned venture, there is little scientific understanding behind it.

The selection of genetic source for introduction to any environment is crucial. Each genetic source has evolved over a period of time and has adjusted to its environment to survive.

The salmon research over the last 80 years has shown that random selection of genetic material and introduction to river systems can create havoc.

Water chemistry of rivers and genetic differentiation in mahseer has to be studied.

There are significant parallels between revival of salmon in the last 50 years and efforts to revive mahseer in indian rivers.

Such projects require more understanding of what the other countries have done with revival of fish.

I would suggest that the persons concerned research these issues ref salmon experience so that they are aware of the issues involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:14 pm 
Fishaholic

It must be stocked with the Deccan Mahseer, no question. When we talk of bringing the Mahseer back it can only happen if all the riverine environment is OK to complete the food chain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

The artificial fertilisation of eggs of the true mahseer (Tor khudree) was successfully carried out on a large scale for the first time in 1970 by CV Kulkarni (1971) at the Tata Power Company's fish farm at Lonavla, District Pune (Maharashtra). Since then considerable knowledge has been gained and practical knowledge has been achieved in recent years on the spawning season and habits, methods of artificial propagation, hatchery management, rearing of fry, fingerlings and broodstock, and most importantly, on the success of hypophysation (induced breeding) of pond-raised stocks of all the major species, i.e. Tor khudree, Tor mussullah, Tor tor and Tor putitora in that order .

Both Mr Kulkarni & Ogale have vast experience in breeding mahaseer's at the Lonavala breeding centre. They have been suppling Mahaseer fry to Fisheries all over the country. So I guess they have a good chance of succeeding in restocking the Indrayani River.

Regards
Cavalier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

The artificial fertilisation of eggs of the true mahseer (Tor khudree) was successfully carried out on a large scale for the first time in 1970 by CV Kulkarni (1971) at the Tata Power Company's fish farm at Lonavla, District Pune (Maharashtra). Since then considerable knowledge has been gained and practical knowledge has been achieved in recent years on the spawning season and habits, methods of artificial propagation, hatchery management, rearing of fry, fingerlings and broodstock, and most importantly, on the success of hypophysation (induced breeding) of pond-raised stocks of all the major species, i.e. Tor khudree, Tor mussullah, Tor tor and Tor putitora in that order .

Both Mr Kulkarni & Ogale have vast experience in breeding mahaseer's at the Lonavala breeding centre. They have been suppling Mahaseer fry to Fisheries all over the country. So I guess they have a good chance of succeeding in restocking the Indrayani River.

Regards
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Hay it’s a very Great news…! Mahseer near pune ! I sincerely wish team FONA and others every success in this Nobel task. The river Indrayani and the great Marathi saint sant Gyaneshwar holds a very holy and respectful place in the heart of Marathi Manus (man) . I had not seen the river Indrayani in my child hood ( as was living 800 odd kms away) but still remember the humming of holy song by my father – “Lagali samadhi indrayani kaathi “( attended spiritual state of samadhi at the bank of rever Indrayani ). Now I was lucky enough to daily pay respect the holy river while going to my office at chakan. In fact Indrayani river and sant Gyaneshwar are inseparable . The same way the river and fish should have the relation. Let the Mahseer and Indrayani live long life of 1000 years and many more years to come .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

sanjaysomkuwar wrote:
place in the heart of Marathi Manus (man)

Man Marathi Manus it almost sounds like a new species :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote]Man Marathi Manus it almost sounds like a new species

it may sound new to you but it's quit old one :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 am 
Fishaholic

am reviving this post ...was in touch with the above mentioned ngo.. when the fry were in the tank stage.. am still in touch... now the first batch is in the hapa stage.. soon there will be a release ceremony... ofcourse the fish are too small for angling.. but they have requested an experienced angler and self to meet with them to discuss and formulate rules and regulations and methods to conserve for future.. the project is not out of the red.. once the fish are released ... only time will tell how well they will survive.. and what kind of toll the water quality and weirs and nets will take.. we hope for the best.. fingers are crossed. pune anglers .. i hope y'al will forget any differences and step forward. to do your bit.. when called upon.. (not monetarily ..but in service) to make this effort bear fruit...

project murrel ( a friends and selfs personal venture is on hold.. difficulty in rearing the fry.. .. will keep trying..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice info Darryl, thanks for sharing, Please do let me know where I can buy a lethal weapon like a gun to shoot netters around Pune!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi daryl,
Nice to know that things are being dont still to conserve an old friend of pune... when it happens do tell me...

Hi Omesh,
We can use an airgun to deflate their floats, and it doesnt require a license...that guy... now I am thinking netting is more related to greed than to a pappy paet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:22 am 
Fishaholic

hey ommy.. raka.. sorry can t help with that.. i suggest dont even think that way.. ( as they say .. lene ke dene hojaega)

somehow in the not so short time ive been fishing here .. ive not had a problem.. infact most places i go i make friends and contacts in the area.. from the bhois to some gaonwalas too.

rakesh .. speaking in your mother tongue helps to break the ice.. ( in your case father tongue ..hehe) so do pick it up..

lastly see it from their shoes.they see it as .. any one who can come all the way from pune to fish for time pass with (phoren chaddi ani phirki) as loaded.. we would do the same if we were in their place..

and truly it is for them pappi pet ka sawaal..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes I they need to be made aware of the scene here in pune... most of them would not even know which are the endangered species etc...we also do make some friends with the local anglers and some fishermen who talk to us and tell us info...In fact Its either I dont talk at all or I am full on frank...man, I can speak little marathi and understand everything, but my mallu accent and a little mallu words like "aiyo" and stuff screws the conversation. :(... I think When I am gonna start earning, I will do a thing that will surprise and confuse them, and at the same time make them think about catching and selling something which is rare or endangered...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:18 am 
Fishaholic

if you mean give them money .. and buy the fish to release .. thats a mistake.... they will only catch it again to have someone else or you pay to release it again .. and what happens when your not around.. plus it will create problems for other anglers..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:12 am 
Fishaholic

Buy it, revive it, and Relocate it to a better place...
Problems for other anglers ? How ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm 
Fishaholic

and where in or around pune would that place be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

hehehe... I don't know yet. still haven't explored all the areas around pune. most probably will be a dam. or a place that comes under some national park and is in jurisdiction of the forest office. like my village. this is a future plan. for now lets forget about this, and stick to what we are good at... fishing !