->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:41 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:28 pm 

Hi All

In the wake of the recent oil spill disaster near mumbai, there are news that its spreading fast to Alibaug and the mangrove regions.
Is there any one knowing the long tem consequences. I'm very scared and doubtful about the complete containment process by Indian authorities. I feel Indian politicians are not that concern about the oil spill.
Also those who are living near Alibaug please let us know the ground realities I pray for our fish friends who needs to take this abuse everytime from us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Haven’t heard in international NEWS, is it a big spill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

The news indeed is really a very bad one .It looks like we going to have a disastrous consequences of this on the Mumbai shores .It is definitely going to effect the marine system in and around Mumbai shores until some miracle happens and it will going to have a very adverse effect on the inshore fishing near and around Mumbai. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:20 pm 
Fishaholic

I will be in Alibag from 26-28...will let all know in case I see something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:15 am 
Fishaholic

It is indeed a disaster. I being a beginner of shore fishing have seen some of there amazing fishes jumping around the shore line and can not imagin what the future Will be. Will ever get a chance to land those beauties in Mumbai or for every cast i Will have to travel 500+ km. I wish our already polluted shores is not damaged any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:59 am 
Fishaholic

Our Country is Run by ASSHOLES......The guys have no idea on the magnitude of this disaster the vessel is also carrying pesticides and God knows wat,the blame game will continue by then the ship will break up and the deadly toxin will wipe out the marine life.How can two vessels collide in clear visibility ,what where the Harbour pilots doing....guess in the galley collecting there Jam,sauce and cheese tins....honestly thats what these guys take after leaving the vessel.I say Shoot emm all let GOD sort emm out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:19 pm 
Fishaholic

" Our Country is Run by ASSHOLES " I agree to this.

My Dad's suggestion is to shoot both of the Captains. These ships are equipped with sophisticated radar system and will give you all the detail of the surrounding.
How the hell can they crash. :x

Post subject: Re
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Its very sad to break this news. The damage has already been done today i went to visit my local fisher friends to buy some fresh fish and God bless all of us for what i saw. No place to keep your feet the beach was coverd with oil and dead fish of all sizes from mullets to big croakers say almost 4 kg. Its realy bad God bless those who relying on the sea for their lively hood. In the after noon i was at Vasai the same thing no oil but cat fish, prawns, mullets etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

raj wrote:
" Our Country is Run by ASSHOLES " I agree to this.

My Dad's suggestion is to shoot both of the Captains. These ships are equipped with sophisticated radar system and will give you all the detail of the surrounding.
How the hell can they crash. :x

bro the right idea will be to shoot the ass hole Harbour pilots as they are suppose to be responsible for navigating the ships in and out of harbour area . I will also like to shoot the Mo.... fu... who are responsible to monitor all the ship movement like ATC in harbour area . I think it is just a perfect example of a complete lackadaisical way our country work specially all the bloody Govt bodies.

BTW they are still going to take their own sweet time to find out whether those 31 containers are still on board or they have gone into the sea already as Neil have pointed out the really damage would be catastrophic if those have already gone into the sea . I will most probably wipe out the entire marine life in the vicinity of Mumbai for a long time to come if at all
i wish we were in the old west and we could solve some problem with our own guns :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Here are some Pics that I received from my shipping agent, in and out movement of all the vessels have been suspended :evil: :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Sadly this is a disaster which could have been averted if Disaster management tools were designed, to tackle such situations, in advance. It took our authorities to move, three days :!: :shock: .

The complete implications of this accident are scary. The only sufferer will be the marine life and the poor fisherman who survive on his daily meager catch. I am also sure, lot of money will change hands in name of containing this oil/ pesticide spill and nothing much will be done :evil: .

May god bless us all.

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I'm sure this could be controlled...

LAZY AND IRRESPONSIBLE IS WHAT THESE GUYS ARE...

the oil has reached thal...

regards...
pranav...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:05 pm 
Fishaholic

And your good client has made a big mess :evil: :evil: now for some time the poor fishermen would be harvesting milk packets and biscuits caught in the nets :P sadly the marine life is bearing the brunt of human follies :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 am 
Fishaholic

Good clients make mistakes too. We all are humans in the end. Some mistakes have too big consequences.......... I think our expectation of our intelligent solutions like underwater rigs and big ships carrying enough damaging material with them is questionable.... I think there is no system where we are fail proof and we should consider our failure as a part of our design considering the consequences.
My 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:34 pm 
Fishaholic

We have been using MSC for our export for a long time sending thousands of tons of cargo. They are as good as any shipping company operating from India. They are a professional company, Although it is a very unfortunate incident and will cause lot of damage to the ecosystem, but without knowing the truth its immature to blame anyone.

Point to note, not only the fishermen that are going to suffer. Other industries / businesses, transporters shipping agents, exporters & importers of perishable goods and thousands more that dependent for work in export or import sector are going to suffer If the docks don’t open soon.

Post subject: blame game .... NAH
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:11 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Although it is a very unfortunate incident and will cause lot of damage to the ecosystem, but without knowing the truth its immature to blame anyone.

Very true Santosh. It is definitely not right on our parts to point fingers. Instead the need of the hour is to know the extent of damage caused and how it can be reversed or contained. The culprits will be booked (perhaps) for sure. But lets not break heads about who is guilty without knowing what went wrong. But for sure we can try and understand that the disaster has already struck might as well find solution to control the extent of damage caused.

FYI.. There's no fun in Crashing Vessels that HUGE. There is definitely no intent in that. Its negligence. Who, what, where, how is what needs to be probed and definitely not by any one of us.

Just my 2 cents - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobby Chill mate ! I have my regards for you

I wrote, now they have made a big mess , nobody said you made a mess
About some thoughtful comments :- here they are
TV footage of 20 seconds doesn't give one exact picture of the grim situation
I have seen the distruction first hand myself and its far and wide around 200 kms of shoreline has been affected badly, mangroves have turned black, oil soaked birds struggling , some shores have become a carpet of dead fish { mostly egg laden fish }, drifting containers have reached as far as Alibaug shores , aluminium cans of fumigation chemicals and pesticides are washed ashore on Alibaug beach and elsewhere
and yourself being a mumbaite can understand what it is to see your backyard ruined , I know several old villagers who have no one to support them gather shells and hermit crabs from the shore to use as bait and sit half the day on some rock praying for good size fish which they'll sell to neighbouring restaurants
and as it is rightly said by fellow anglers --(1) not only the fishermen that are going to suffer. Other industries are going to suffer as well If the docks don’t open soon.
(2) with all the modern day radars and gizmos How can two vessels collide in clear visibility,Our Country is Run by ASSHOLES,
I say those illfated ships were manned by bigger assholes

Last edited by lionheart on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:29 pm 
Fishaholic

May I ask who runs the country?
If its the leaders, who elects them?
If they are Assholes, then what are we?

Anything & everything just cant be blamed on the people who run our country, right?
Of course there has been a huge negligence to cause the collision of two cargo ships. it could be that on part of the captains or some wrong radio communication between the ships / MPT / JNPT. That will be known someday to general public (hopefully).

Till then, lets get back to fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
May I ask who runs the country?
If its the leaders, who elects them?
If they are Assholes, then what are we?

Absolutely! WE ARE IT.

We will still vote the same people. We will still do nothing once the slick has disappeared. I think we are all just waiting to forget. That's how we survive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes, each of us is to be blamed. We vote & pay taxes to forget & survive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 am 

Both the shipping Co's need to pick up the tab for the clean up....Exxon did it in Alaska and more recently BP in the Gulf Coast for the mess they created...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:05 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,

It was an accident and I believe it was the Chirta that ran into the other vessel, however for the money these guys make they must be held fully accountable for things like that.

Apparently some of my friends in the Marine industry said that both vessels had a history of problems.

I inquired about liability and the estimated fines will be anywhere in a range of 2 million - 30 million and that will be split between the two owning companies as the percentage deemed after the investigation, I think for the losses this has caused I was a bit surprised how small it is. I also asked a couple of guys how large would the fines be if this were to happen in the US, they said they would not know exactly by it would be within $100 Million more likely between 30 - 60 million. Apparently, the scale of this disaster is "considered" to be small and if some of you guys have seen huge impact damage vise this has caused, one can only imagine how devastating some of the larger spills could be. I hope all losses and inconvenience to the people, damage to the ecology both short term and long term are taken into account when the ruling is made.

Lionheart,

May be I mis-read and misinterpreted your comments, I have edited/deleted my posts. My apologies.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

Finally the truth about the collision came out , both the vessels were more than twenty years old and as per international maritime law vessels older than 20years should be phased out and yet they were operating and at the time St Kitts-registered MV KHALIJIA III was entering the Mumbai Port Trust (MBPT) harbour with a failed rudder ,it had informed the port authorities about the failed radar and its inabilty to manouver the vessel properly whereas the Panama-registered MSC Chitra had just departed from Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) could not be reached on the common VHF frequency hence was not alerted in time
Both the ships were operating on different frequencies which is forbidden by navigational rules governing the piloting of ships in and out of the common channel shared by the two ports
An amatuer video clip showing the actual collision was aired on IBN7 news last night at 11.45pmIST
:-)
Bobby wrote:
Lionheart,

May be I mis-read and misinterpreted your comments, I have edited/deleted my posts. My apologies.

Regards,

Bobby

@ Bobby
no worries Brother :-) I am glad that ALL IS WELL
GOD WILLING hope to fish with you someday and gain some gyan {fishing} from you

Regards,

Sayed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Its extremely sad what has happened off the coast of Mumbai but this is not the time to start blaming people or abusing the government. Both of which are going to amount to nothing.. We have a prime example in the verdict of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy, however even with the hue and cry, nothing is going to happen in the near future also...

Back to the oil spill.. While most people blame and curse the captains, the ships and the government, I feel that it is worthless. Rather than cry over spilt milk, we should look at maybe trying to help the situation in any way possible.. Those that are near the coasts and have access to the shoreline should try and do a bit to help the environment.. Simple things like cleaning the beach or perhaps helping the sea-birds clean the oil of their feathers and anything else that they can manage will go a long way..
There's no point in bitching about the situation as there are already a million and more people doing the same and it will not make a difference just talking about it, however if just a handful of these people do something about it, THAT would make the difference...

Just my views, guys....

GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry guys...was not able to go to the beach as planned...the radisson property was some distance off - approx 5 kms we were told...and after all the team games and drinks I simply could not move out. However, these guys did not serve any seafood and on enquiring we were told that this is as per the directive received from "authorities" post the spill.
So, I guess the impact has been significant.