->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:09 pm 
Enlightened

(Extracted from the Business Standard)

The UIPC, a joint venture between IL&FS and the state government, has already submitted a detail plan for approval in this regard, top officials said.. An investment of Rs 550 to Rs 600 crore is expected in these projects.

Among these projects, four hydel projects are located at eastern Ram Ganga valley in Kumaon region with the potential to produce 28 Mw. Three projects are located on Saryu river in the region with a total capacity of 28.5 Mw.

While, one project of 12.5 Mw would be developed on Kosi river, two more projects are located in Dehra Dun district with a capacity of 1.2 Mw.
“We have already submitted a detail plan to the government,” the official said. The bidding process in this regard is expected to start next month.

The UIPC was recently in news after it successfully completed the bidding process of Nayar Valley hydel projects. WWI-RRE, a Delhi-based
consortium, would pay an upfront premium of Rs 1.27 crore per Mw, considered to be the highest in the country, as it won the contract for building four hydel projects with a total capacity of 23.25 Mw in Nayar Valley.

The consortium is led by R R Energy (RRE) Ltd and Worlds Window Impex (WWI) Pvt Ltd, which together had bid for 17 Mw Nayar dam, 2 Mw Santudhar-I, 2 Mw Santudhar-II and 2.25 Mw Biyali Gaon — all on Nayar river which is a tributary of the river Ganga in Pauri district of the hill state.

Nine companies were selected in the final bidding process but WWI-RRE won the contract for paying the highest upfront premium. The state government will get rich by over Rs 29 crore in this regard.

An investment of Rs 200 crore is proposed in the four projects, which can together generate 98 million units.

The letter of award for the contract has already been sent to the consortium.

THIS IS THE SITUATION ON THE BREEDING RIVERS.

I NOW REPRODUCE CERTAIN SECTIONS OF A STUDY

Present status and prospects of mahseer fishery in Garhwal Region of Central Himalaya. (by A. P. Sharma and Ashutosh Mishra)
Department of Fishery Hydrography, College of Fishery Sciences
G. B. Pant University of Ag. & Tech., Pantnagar-263145, Uttaranchal, India
THIS IS FROM THE CONCLUSIONS in this report.

The golden mahseer is the most important game and food fish in the Central Himalaya. It contributes greatly to the commercial fishery in the foothills. The fish migrates considerable distances upstream in the search of suitable spawning grounds (Badola and Singh, 1984; Nautiyal and Lal, 1984; Singh, 1988). However, once found in abundance, the stocks of the Himalayan mahseer are depleted to the extent that it is now considered as an endangered species (Singh et al., 1991). The decline of mahseer fishery has also been reported from the other Himalayan waters such as the Ganga river system (Chauhan et al., 1992), Brahmaputra river system (Dey, 1992), Govind Sagar reservoir (Johal and Tandon, 1981), Kumaun lakes (Sharma, 1991) and some other waters.

The present investigations also reveal that the population of golden mahseer has greatly declined in the waters of Western Central Himalaya. It contributes significantly to the fishery only in the spring-fed river Nayar where it comprises 32.8% of the total catch. The second best contribution (9.7%) was in the river Song. In other streams the contribution ranges only between 0.8 and 3.1%. The brooders, yearlings, fry and fingerlings of golden mahseer were observed in the river Nayar only. The average seed density was between 300-400 no/m2 at the confluence of the rivers Nayar and Ganga at Vyasghat (Fig. 1).

Himalayan mahseer population undertakes contranatant migration from the foothill sector of the Ganga, often ascending into the rivers Bhagirathi and Bhilangana. These major tributaries serve as the only routes through which the fish can have easy access to the spring-fed placid streams providing congenial environment for the fish to breed (Nautiyal and Lal, 1984). However, the present observations reveal that only Nayar is a potential mahseer spring-fed stream in the Western Central Himalayan region. However, the size of the catch was also very low from Nayar (25 to 1 650 g) as per observations during the period of investigation.

The factor that has brought Himalayan mahseer to the brink of extinction is indiscriminate killing of juveniles and brooders.

Mass slaughter of fish through toxicants and dynamite is common, particularly in uplands. Fishing by fixed gears is also a common example of indiscriminate fishing. Intensification of fishing effort during the pre-monsoon period, when water level in rivers is low, adds to the problem. Changes in the habitat due to construction of dams, barrages and weirs under river-valley projects adversely affect the biology of this fish.

The conclusions are quite obvious.

Can anyone provide any form of assistance at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Thought provoking article. We are in quite a precarious position in India - having to balance the need to conserve our ecosystems with the demand for economic development. I appreciate that this trade off is quite politicized and not all interest groups can be kept happy. But I like to sometimes blank out the complexitites and ask myself a simple question - What would India be like without the Royal Bengal or the Mahaseer or any indigenous flora or fauna for that matter? Can't image North America without the Bald Eagle, Canada without the Moose or even Britain without the Red Squirrel ! I believe that as far as environmental consciousness is concerned as a society we are decades behind these other countries, that we otherwise try so hard to emulate. There are some fantastic example of animals brought back from the brink of extinction. The Siberian Tiger, Californian Condor and the Bald Eagle, just to name a few. I really fail do see any reasonable explanation other than the lack of consciousness and mis-prioritized agendas, as to why we fail to follow suit.

Bagiganga, I am not placed in anyway to help you in this regard. But I wish you all the best in whatever it is that you seek out.

Regards,
Vikram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Sad to see another case of wildlife and associated countryside lost to a dam development that in all probability will not produce the amount of electricity they claim.
The dam will cause other problems that will need to be paid for, like loss of fertile land downstream, potential for inducing earthquakes and the fact that the dam will silt up long before its time and have to be cleaned regularly at huge cost etc.
Still, the state Government will have made a tidy sum out of it. Wonder where that will go?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:10 am 
Enlightened

One of the options being considered is to declare the species endangered - this is because of significant decrease in the numbers and of course the decimation of the habitat.

The data supports the threat to the species.

What do people think about this ?

If the species is declared endangered, then the habitat has to be protected. This can save some of the rivers from dams.

Our proposal aims to declare the complete Nayar river leading into the Ganges at Byasghat and down to Kaudyala as Protected. This would save a lot of big fish in the Ganges.

The same level of protection would apply to Saryu/Ramganga leading to the Kali up to Boom. This would protect all the fish from the Lohaghat, Ladia and the Surnaya rivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I believe we can do our bit by releasing this species (be it juvenile or not) if hooked. Does not necessarily mean its a compulsion but if you think on maturity grounds we on this forum are anglers and our priceless possession is landing a big fish and releasing it to fight another day. We can also educate non members on the benefits of catch and release. Or better I should say the "Joy of releasing the catch". Please do not expect our government to take initiative on such matters as they do not have absolutely any control of who does what to the environment. It is definitely not the government responsibility its our responsibility. We have 1133 members as of now and if everyone does a bit of educating the rest who do not have privilege of accessing this beautiful forum. Perhaps at a later period when we are capable of having tournaments we can use mass media to educate a lot of them about what we think of catch and release. Saving our wildlife and our environment is our personal issue now its become more of "I" than that of "WE". Think of what "I should be doing" instead of "What we should be doing". Ever heard of the word "CONSERVATION". Well if YES, what have you done about it? To be frank enough, I have not done anything myself but I will always strive towards conservation. Let us not wait for Governments and NGO's to initiate conservation movement.

Think AND ACT over these things:

* Never Litter. This includes responsibly disposing the discarded line or hooks or any other material that could cause harm to your environment.
* Never Waste Fish. Keep what you want. Release the juvenile or the fish that you don't intend to keep. Please don't be bothered to carry more fish to share with your neighbor or your watchman (I know someone who is going to comment on this :)
* Know and Follow Fishing Regulations.
* Report Violators.
* Protect the Area Around the Waters.
* Continually Seek New Knowledge and Skills.
* Share Your Knowledge.
* Participate in Resource-Enhancement Projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 am 
Enlightened

See the movie by StumahseerUK ... in the Mahseer section.

This is one of the breeding rivers which has been sanctioned for a dam.

This means that all those fish caught and released from this stream will eventually die out like the lovely 40s in the film ...

For some of us its no longer about catching fish ... thats the easy part, keeping them in the water is the challenge now.

Once you see a big mahseer do a dolphin jump or just glide in the pool with its large golden tail doing a whale kind of move ... now thats worth protecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

if im not mistaken for yearly migration of salmon in USA where dams have been constructed
they provided some sore of link...
through which salmons can move easily and can cross the dams.....
is this a possibility in india???
and if so then why not to have a balance between progress and environment....
i will rather push for the above said.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 am 
Fishaholic

Crossing dams is only possible if the dam has a fish ladder. From what i have read and heard no dam or bund or barrage built after independence has a fish ladder as part of the original design.

But the beautiful thing is that nature finds a way. The sad thing is that this comes at a tremendous cost like the Kosi river in Bihar showed us last Monsoon.

Last edited by Mahaseerken on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:07 am 
Enlightened

Fish Ladders - there are various designs for fish ladders and long terms studies are available for their efficacy with regard to various species.

The problem with the Himalayan mahseer is that there has been no long term study of their migration or tagging program conducted to study this part of their behaviour.

All the research whether at the Tata center or other institutes in India have been restricted to breeding for commercial or breeding in captivity levels to create stock.

The best research available for Mahseer through a different route are the studies conducted on Asla+migration of asla by the Nepalese.

As no previous research is available on migration, the design of the ladder becomes more complicated. There has to be a in depth comparative analysis of all designs and their impact on the species in the specific rivers before any can be suggested for spawning rainfed streams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:27 am 
Fishaholic

Hear!!!! Hear!!!! for Fish ladders. We (I mean human race, I hope I don’t start a unnecessary arguments and have this post guttered.) are killing them and denying them space to breed is a real shame..

IG good thought, please pass the file when you finish. It will be a very helpful manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:11 am 
Fishaholic

I am really aghast with the things as they are as far as mahseer goes . I also totally support that we should be releasing each and every one of them we catch. But unfortunately overall in this country no one gives a damn about the wild live and conservation of it .

You can see every thing is politically motivated. What can the local people do the pressure of population and poverty is some thing they don't have any control and absence of any kind of education or knowledge that they are digging there own graves and it leads up to what we are facing here. Government just talk about it look at the condition of each and every tiger project .

Thanks god some how in Himachal and some other places leopard have survived and also mange to increase their population but at the cost of being again target as dangerous animals so we are back to square one unfortunately its a vicious circle.

Crocs attac is reported but what about the ruthless urbanization of the forest and land around it. In the name of modernisation they have been claiming the habitat of wild life for a long period of time it's the same story.

I just hope that what MKen says that nature will find its way continues to surprise us and what ever we can do to maintain a code of conduct to help it . other wise we are destine for doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:17 am 

Hi, just watced a particularly interesting programme on the national geographic channel,its called( great white sturgeon:hooked monster fishing) gives a clear insight into the impact of dams on migratory fish; highly relevant to mahseer. very well researched and presented.being repeated on thursday night in the uk. 1900 hrs, channel no 526.