->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:10 am 
Enlightened

Hi All,

After my vacation to Mudumalai Wildlife Santuary last week, would like to bring some info to your attn.

I had spent my early days in this santuary from 1980 to 1991 as my father was a range officer here.

During that time the fish was a plenty and you can catch the carps,fresh water eels and some other species just like that even the tribals fishing all the day along the 12 km stretch.That time there was a strict rule that no one should use nets or poison barks.Should use only hand lines.

Heard from one of my Guru last week that in the past 10 years, poisoning the river to get the fish is very frequent and the mortality rate is 100% if we use the poison in particular .

The tribes block the river on certain areas by using mud/tree bark/stones to arrest the water inflow and mix someparticular tree bark or nuts grinded into the pond.After some time all the fish will come out and they will catch even they donot know that fish is also having little bit of poison on them.

Over this 12 km stretch , 50 % of the length having big pools where they can't do anything, but the rest of length is 2-3 small streams split into and easy to block.

Inside the santuary also there is plenty of small streams which has lot of butter fish and small size of murrel family.Some of the people poisoned this streams also.

Presently I had visited some of the prime spots for the fresh water eel and there is none.As advised, because of the poisoning the fish population become lesser and lesser everyday.

The tribal people also not aware of what they are doing to the nature and to themselves.

WE WILL SAVE IT FOR OUR NEXT GENERATION.

Awaiting your suggestions to stop river poisoning and to increase the fish population.

Thanks

Saravanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ranger,

My suggestion would be to allow sport fishing on the Moyar river, within the limit of the park. Guys like us on this forum could pay a fee to the Forest Dept to fish a stretch. A portion of the money could go to the tribals who poison the river, to encourage them not to do such harmful things. Also recreational anglers could pay the same tribals a 'guide' fee so they make an income off the fishing. This way it makes more 'economic' sense to the tribals to protect their river.... Also all fishing can strictly be catch and release. Maybe they could even have a tagging program..... the list is practically endless.....

Just some of my thoughts on a very relevant topic. I'm sure there'll be more posts with very helpful suggestions.... Going by the attitude the Forest Dept has regarding fishing in the Nilgiris, I really don't think much can be done regarding the future of fish stocks, native or otherwise.

Are you aware that there are/were some decent Mahseer in the Moyar?

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:07 pm 
Enlightened

Mighty Marlin wrote:
Hi Ranger,

My suggestion would be to allow sport fishing on the Moyar river, within the limit of the park. Guys like us on this forum could pay a fee to the Forest Dept to fish a stretch. A portion of the money could go to the tribals who poison the river, to encourage them not to do such harmful things. Also recreational anglers could pay the same tribals a 'guide' fee so they make an income off the fishing. This way it makes more 'economic' sense to the tribals to protect their river.... Also all fishing can strictly be catch and release. Maybe they could even have a tagging program..... the list is practically endless.....

Just some of my thoughts on a very relevant topic. I'm sure there'll be more posts with very helpful suggestions.... Going by the attitude the Forest Dept has regarding fishing in the Nilgiris, I really don't think much can be done regarding the future of fish stocks, native or otherwise.

Are you aware that there are/were some decent Mahseer in the Moyar?

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Hi MM,

Thanks for the suggestions . It looks very simple/easier/practically possible.
But it should be done with the help /approval of the forest dept and also we are not sure howmuch they are flexible with this idea inside the santuary.

Also for the fishing, we have to go by walk which is not recomandable as there was a plent of wild elephants.

1/5 of the river stretch only on the road side and the bal all inside the forest.

Mahseer is available on this river little further down stream and heard from some one that its all big ones.The approach is only by winch which belongs to power station at Moyar. Strictly no publics or fishermen allowed.

Awaiting other suggestions from the members.

Thanks.

Saravanan