->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:06 pm 

Hi All,
Request info as above.The markings are in french and the max lure wt is mentioned as 100g.

Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:30 pm 
Fishaholic

A light 4 piece Beachcaster is what it is Arif, don't go anywhere near it unless you are planning to move to Freddy's balcony.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:57 pm 

Carted it all the way from Karachi Owen-twas gifted...would appreciate more info if you can...Freddy's balcony-seems good, seeing that most times he off to parts unknown!
What can this rod be used for? hopefully catch a few fish? :shock: or do i pass it on to the maid for cobweb cleaning :wink: will post pics later
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:23 pm 
Fishaholic

I started out fishing for mahseer with a 3 piece beach caster, which still lies in my store room. The one you have seems to be much lighter, so you could try using it with a medium / light spinning reel. It should do ok on rivers, but would be a bit heavy for lake fishing i think.
Can you post a picture of it ? Need to get a look at the guides to get an idea of the kind and size of reel that would match it.
Don't forget to call me when you are in Bangalore.
Heard from Pat that you guys are planning a spot of Rohu fishing. Get stuck into one mate, and you are hooked for life.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats a beach caster . Can think of a few uses for it apart from Spinning from my balcony

Here goes

1) Push Off pole
2) Cobweb cleaner
3) Clogged Drain cleaner
4) Flagpole
5) Mango picker

But jokes apart ...Like OMO ( Ole Man Owen ) says depending on the fishing you intend to do- you need to match the reel ..

My 2 bits .

Spinning - try the Penn 650 SS spinfisher series or the Daiwa BG
Lake --- Ask OMO
River --- Ask OMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:16 pm 

Thanks Owen & Fred,
The maid is unhappy at the thought of losing out on major automation!
Will post pics later, Did pick up a 18-30lb rated chinese reel to go with this rod.After a grand tally of 3 fish, I am being optimistic...OB, if I can catch up with Pat , it'll be Christmas & Newyear rolled into one, early to boot!
Great show with the snaps and the fishing OB,
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

I have Gavin in his ballrags if you guy's want a peek!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Nope ill pass ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:04 am 

Aha, Just when I had lost hope, The rod can be used for fishing too!Great, will take it out dayafter and see how the Chinese JF 650 does on it...worst case scenario, -blankety blank- in any case , wont have too much of an audience see me make an ass of my self! :cry:

Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:11 am 

PS-The other reel I have is a Pflueger 10 lb, more suited to my 12 lb Ugly stik.
Need some brain work on this Guys-LIGHT spinning reel on a rod thats 2 feet longer and is heavier than my Ugly stik?
Help! Does that mean the Chinese 18-30 lb reel pictured above does not suit the rod?and I was going to load the trilene 25lb-er line on this reel!
Whats so special about beach casters?
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:56 am 
Enlightened

Hi please be so kind to make a new photo of the reel with a lighter placed close to it ... just to learn about the real dimensions. I think your Browning rod should be a normal strong telescopic rod, not really a beachcaster.
How about the action? I don't think it'll be too stiff.
So it should be suitable for river and lake fishing.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

Would also be nice to see a picture of your first 3 fish eljefe irrespective of their size. A little birdy told me they were Rohu ???
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:09 pm 

Thanks Dibu,
Shall post comparitive snaps later today *( smacks his head in total disgust!) :oops:
OB,
will post one of what another member, Dev hooked-my first, was a few min later and released very fast,and was smaller than that!
Yes the other was , I'm told, a Rohu.I am learning fish recognition on this forum and also drooling over fish :lol: Snaps were taken by a friend and I'm meeting him tomorrow to collect the cd-am pretty eager to post those snaps here and also,to get him to join-he's an angler of about 50 years experience and will be a welcome addition here.Yes, that damn fish, in siliser lake, near sariska, damn near tore off my arm and rod/reel.We got 4 that day and they weighed upto about 15-16 kgs in total -all for the table for the waiting mob, so hopefully dont find fault with my handling technique!!
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

The 2 fish in the pictures look like cats, and the first picture is really quite funny dude, looks like the fish is being blessed before the last supper, along with your rod and reel for bringing out the blighter.
The brick below seems to be in the best possible position to perform the last rites.
Well done matey!
P.S that rod and reel you are holding looks like a nice set up for murral spinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:22 pm 

OB-
Thats my friend and fellow IA member, Dev with his father...-the spot is our noida fav-'Toxic greens' and my cat was smaller!! :oops: The pics were with my camera phone-ok enough to post, what?
There's a pic of my grim visage cross threaded below-check it out-you may need a couple of stiff ones before sleeping though :wink:

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?p=7919#7919
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:34 pm 

OB and Dibu,
some snaps for your info and advice!
Thanks
Axx
Left-browning + chinese 18-30lb reel R, Ugly stik & 10lb Pflueger
Handles compared
Guides on the Browning-5
Reels reversed

Last edited by eljefe on Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry about the mixup old boy, yeah the pictures are fine, but where is the rohu ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:42 pm 

HI OB, See new post in Images section.
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Axx the rod and reel looks fine and balanced .. Telescopics are usally lighter compared to the 3 / 4 pieces ... and that the reason why they are also weaker .. .. Im ging by the thickness of the tip top and the rings ... anyways my mantra ... if its there and you hook it ... then fight it and land it .... with what u have .... bcoz in the sea ... u never know whats on the end of your line till it decides to show itself ... so forget about all the specifications and just ...... Fish for fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:49 pm 
Enlightened

Hi eliefe,
now I'm sure my feeling about your Browning rod was right. It isn't the same as a standard beachcaster -normally in use for seafishing, to cast a 200gr lead plus baited hooks out to the horizone-.
Your rod is more like a tele pike rod as they're regular in use over here. Your reel should be very matching for this rod and if loaded with some 20-30lbs line it'll be good combination for catching big Indians carps like rohu and catla or small to medium size mahseer.
It'll be the right rod for ledgering with a ball of ragi/atta or even to lay out a chilwa lifebait for mulley or other medium size catfish species. I think it'll be of small value when light float fishing is on the cards and it'll definetly be too heavy and bulky for spinfishing.

Hope my opinion about your tackle is helpful in any way.
Nice thread about the "family side" of fishing. I also try to get my kids into fishing, my daughter really loves it.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:03 pm 

Dibu/OB/Fredfish,
Your post is music to my ears-even if Im missing out the tocattas...
Hokay OB, will go home and load up some 25lb mono I got a couple of weeks ago.And I have a Halco 20g wobbler which i'm dying to try out.Kind of seemed a bit heavy for the Ugly stik, but perfect for this rod.
I have planned for a day long outing later this week and hope to get the rods wet.
Actually Fred, I was a bit bashful about saying this, :oops: but damn, I would have taken that rod out and tried it out someway or another, fish or crab or whale-If it broke, so be it!Your post only gave me more panache, shall we say?
Dibu-Small to med catla is more than enough.Mahseer is still a while away, unless they want to jump on, like the fish did in my family outing pics :twisted:
One last question guys, if the mod doesent mind too much.You can post answer here or in a fresh post in appropriate area:
Eljefe's stupid question of the month-Whats ledgering?
Thanks and God Bless
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Ledgering is a term used by one of those accountants who has lost his job and taken to fishing instead of bookkeeping ... but honestly im just as naive but ill take a try ... i think ledgering is the process by which you present the bait to the fish without using a float and getting the bait to sit on a legde in the water .... OMO ( Ole Man Owen ) help ... am i right ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:12 am 
Fishaholic

Well put very simply, that's the way it is eljefe.