->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Help with raft repair
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:16 pm 
Enlightened

I have a 4 man inflatable raft which has opened up. The problem as you can see in the picture is that its opened up on the seam joining the two halves. I tried using a patch but because of the area of the hole ( ie on the seam ) it keeps opening up. Any suggestions on if there is any heat treating method that can be used to fuse the two halves just like the original seam?....
Thanks
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Belli .. whats the raft made of ..... material ... can then ask a friend of mine to suggest a compound that will fix your mattress - its looks like one ...can u post a long shot of the raft ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Belli has the cat being doing its biz on your raft man ? It looks in pretty bad shape. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:15 pm 
Enlightened

Owen...not cats around...it the glue stains from the patch I had put earlier...quite messy .....looks like you see a lot of cat poo to recognise it :lol:
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 pm 
Enlightened

Freddi....thanks for your help...I will get the type of material and post the full pic of the raft shorlty...
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah my grandma had dozens of the felines :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Belli waitng for ure pics mate .. I have this mate that makes industrial Glue and will make the raft usable again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:42 am 
Enlightened

Freddi..here are the pics....the raft is inflated using a foot pump....I did not inflate it fully as I was puffing and panting at the stage the pic was taken .. [smilie=graytard.gif] ...The seam between the upper and lower join has opened up and putting a patch dont think will help..

Thanks
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Contact Ashok of Ozone at 9845024911. He should be able to offer some advice as to where to get it fixed.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Belli ... u got your hole patched ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:15 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Freddi...not yet was watiing for your suggestion....any ideas?...Using glue would be temp....Will be great if you could suggest some heat treating method....Thanks for asking..
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Glue in any form is a bad idea... I've got an 8 seater Zodiac... the seam ripped in the heat... tried patching it with glue, silicone and a bunch of other stuff, but they wont take any load...

Is the raft still out of comission? I got my boat fixed by this guy in delhi who builds RIB's for the govt. There is a specific solution you need to use... will email you his number if you still need it...

If you plan to use it alone, what I'd suggest is take it to a car tyre puncture wallah, and have him patch it up with patches cut from a car tube... do a cold press as a hot press will go right through the floatation tubes!

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Belli,

here in Dubai, since I work for a company dealing with refurbishment / construction of oil rigs, we do use Viking, a company that manufactures life rafts etc. Besides this, we also manufacture for Esvagt (Danish Co), Personnel Safe transfer baskets called Esvagt SPT Baskets.

We do use patches on the basket for tug lines & I have found out that Viking uses the same on their life rafts. Once applied properly, it can hold upto 2 tons (this is what we test our systems with). I dont think your fabric of your raft can hold that weight, but it would surely make a strong bond. Just make sure that the surface is properly cleaned before you apply any sort of glue.

The make & compound no are;
Akzonobel - 2323

Do let me know if you need any more details.