->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:07 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:13 pm 
Enlightened

Hi,
I'm am planning to pick up a trolling reel- wanted to check as to what would be the wright size i need to pick up.... (occasional sea fishing, more of river fishing is what i do)....

Request guidance from angler who think can help me with my shopping!

Regards
Deepak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:12 pm 
Fishaholic

I suggest a Shimano Tekota 600 - I have used it in India for sea fishing and caught a sizeable barracuda without any hassle, besides a variety of sea fish in Australia.

It would also be a good reel to use for mahseer fishing with bait( it will have adequate line capacity if spooled with 40 lb. braid).

Another aspect (that I prefer ) is that it has a line guide inbuilt, which makes life easier when reeling in as you do not need to lay the line across the spool using your fingers/thumb.

It is not a very expensive reel, as well.

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:40 pm 
Enlightened

kingfish wrote:
I suggest a Shimano Tekota 600 - I have used it in India for sea fishing and caught a sizeable barracuda without any hassle, besides a variety of sea fish in Australia.

It would also be a good reel to use for mahseer fishing with bait( it will have adequate line capacity if spooled with 40 lb. braid).

Another aspect (that I prefer ) is that it has a line guide inbuilt, which makes life easier when reeling in as you do not need to lay the line across the spool using your fingers/thumb.

Regards,
Kingfish

Hi There,
Thanks a lot for the information, in fact i have asked my bro( who is in Sydney) to pick up one.... could you suggest a few place in and around the following address ....if you know any -

Manchester Road
Auburn NSW 2144
Australia

Locked Bag 4
Silverwater NSW 1811
Australia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 am 
Fishaholic

There is a large outlet in Auburn that sells boating/fishing/camping gear and it will be very easy for your brother to pick up the reel of your choice from them.

Sorry, I cannot name the establishment due to forum rules.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:54 am 

Deepak9899 wrote:
Hi,
I'm am planning to pick up a trolling reel- wanted to check as to what would be the wright size i need to pick up.... (occasional sea fishing, more of river fishing is what i do)....

Regards
Deepak

Have you consider the Torium series? The 16 or 20 size is good and is friendly to the pocket too ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:49 pm 
Enlightened

kingfish wrote:

Regards,
Kingfish

This is the rod what i have ( http://www.caperlan-fishing.com/EN/4x4- ... 60847155/#)- what size / or type of trolling reel do u think i need

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:55 pm 
Enlightened

poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Deepak

Have you consider the Torium series? The 16 or 20 size is good and is friendly to the pocket too ...

This is the rod what i have ( http://www.caperlan-fishing.com/EN/4x4- ... 60847155/#)- what size / or type of trolling reel do u think i need

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:05 pm 

Deepak9899 wrote:
poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Deepak

are you referrring to this SET 4X4 TELE 350? This is a spinning rod ... maybe you can try the Shimano Hyperloop 6000?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 pm 
Enlightened

poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Deepak

are you referrring to this SET 4X4 TELE 350? This is a spinning rod ... maybe you can try the Shimano Hyperloop 6000?

Bro,
What i meant to say was will i be able to use trolling reel on this rod.... in case i pick up the reel.;

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 pm 

Deepak9899 wrote:
poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Deepak

Bro,
What i meant to say was will i be able to use trolling reel on this rod.... in case i pick up the reel.;

This rod is for Spinning setup and the reel (tekota and torium) that was recommended to you is a overhead setup.

a overhead rod usually will have a trigger below for better griping

example

http://www.oceantacklestore.co.uk/shima ... g-rod.html

maybe you can consider this rod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:21 pm 
Enlightened

poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
poorfisherman wrote:
Deepak9899 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Deepak

Bro,

This rod is for Spinning setup and the reel (tekota and torium) that was recommended to you is a overhead setup.

a overhead rod usually will have a trigger below for better griping

example

http://www.oceantacklestore.co.uk/shima ... g-rod.html

maybe you can consider this rod

Thanks for the info bro .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Deepak,

If you wish to troll using your present telescopic rod, you should get a spinning reel in size 6000.However, your present rod is a bit too long for trolling.

Again, there are a multitude of choices .. I use a Shimano Stradic 8000
(same as a 6000 but with more line capacity) for spinning and also for trolling.

This reel can be picked up by your brother in Sydney for under A$300
and comes with a spare spool (useful as a backup with mono or braid).

Furthermore, Shimano reels bought in Australia are covered by their 10 year warranty, which should give you peace of mind.

Hope you are not too confused.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:05 pm 
Enlightened

kingfish wrote:
Deepak,

If you wish to troll using your present telescopic rod, you should get a spinning reel in size 6000.However, your present rod is a bit too long for trolling.

Again, there are a multitude of choices .. I use a Shimano Stradic 8000
(same as a 6000 but with more line capacity) for spinning and also for trolling.

This reel can be picked up by your brother in Sydney for under A$300
and comes with a spare spool (useful as a backup with mono or braid).

Furthermore, Shimano reels bought in Australia are covered by their 10 year warranty, which should give you peace of mind.

Hope you are not too confused.

Kingfish

Buddy, Thanks alot for your help....send me address on PM if possible ....are you on Gtalk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:56 am 
Fishaholic

Deepak,

Pm for you.

Regards,
Kingfish