[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Help judging a product (Abu garcia Blackmax/cabela proguide) - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:20 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi all,

I stumbled on this forum a couple of weeks ago and really thought I would enjoy angling. I live in Bangalore. I read the forum threads a little while and based on the knowledge I gained, I bought the Abu garcia Blackmax/cabela proguide
The reason why I choose casting over spinning gear was I saw in the comparisons where it says casting is difficult to learn. Since I am going to learn the whole idea/art of angling anyway, I thought I will start with the difficult one.
I was worried I made the right choice/ordered the right rod and reel. I would like to see your opinion as I have chance to cancel the order for another couple of days.

thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Abu Garcia Blackmax is a good reel, not sure of the rod.....

I trust all the Abu garcia products. I personally use the Abu garcia C4 and ordered the Abu Garcia Veritas Rod, was using the C4 with Daiwa Crossbeat.

Why dont you spend a little bit more money and get the Abu Garcia Black Max reel and the Shimano Voltaeus casting rod in 6.6 or 7 feet, they do not come as a Combo so have to buy seperately.

Cheers,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the reply Christopher. I did not spend much time deciding the rod, Just made sure the rod (Cabelas pro guide) had enough good reviews that I wont feel cheated. I almost ordered shakespear ugly stik, but then I thought I could buy a good rod from here later ( with your help maybe :wink: )!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:12 am 
Fishaholic

Kryptoz,

If it is still not too late, I suggest that you go for a spinning reel as it is an easier reel to handle and is very versatile.

My worry is that you will be heartbroken with the number of bird's nest
(tangled line) that occur with a baitcaster.

These invariably occur at the worst possible time i.e. when you are into a hot bite and you will not have the time to either clear the problem or to rig a new line.

With the spinning reel, there are no such issues. Furthermore, if you buy a spare spool for the reel, you can change spools in a jiffy.

This allows you to use a new, heavier or lighter or similar line (in case you break the first one) readily.

This will not be easily possible with a baitcasting reel.

In Australia, hard core baitcasters are switching over to spinning reels
and with good reason.

Pls give it some thought.

Regards and happy fishing.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:54 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:42 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:51 am 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 pm 
Enlightened

Hi ,

i have Shimano curado 301e7 baitcasting reel with Shimano basstera 7ft MH rod . u will not feel comfortable still u match it with a perfect matching rod . i am not gonna say againt spinning. i use Baitcasting where its needed and spinning too .. both have there advantage and dis-advantage. To me if on spinning you can cast 10 times in a min i can cast 15 - 16 times .. More over about Abu black/silver MAX reels there are bad and they dont come for long,, I have one fallen at home .. But its a good reel to get used to baitcasting. As setting goes ..once u master baitcasting you can be accurate and cast no matter what kind of place it is. u can use against fishes like murrels, bara's , etc

But said what when i go for saltwater or for some Mad fighing fish. I take my shimano Twinpower 6000pg. Baitcasting cant hold one too fishes that fight crazy . Like masheer , Grouper , red snapper, etc once ur hooked on these fishes the 1st think that pops in there mind would be stones, he he he ..

hope this helps ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:13 am 
Fishaholic

Last edited by ravinp58 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:32 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:46 am 
Fishaholic

Jeen,

I agree with you, each to his own.

Baitcasters are very accurate in presenting their lures to,say, barramundi
amongst river snags (sunken trees) or casting under overhanging branches.

This comes with constant practice and the use of an "educated thumb",as
mentioned earlier by ravinp58.

With spinning reels (that I favour), we can make similar, accurate casts to the same sort of obstacles by "feathering" the line.

This simply means that we make a cast that overshoots the target in the
air, at which stage we put our forefinger against the lip of the reel.

This stops the lure in midair and with practice, one can land it exactly
where one is aiming for.

For overhanging branches, one makes sidecasts almost parallel to the
water.

Best way to learn accurate casting - find an open space, place a bucket
at say 30 meters and practice feathering until you start dropping
the lure with a CEP (Circular Error Probability) of 10-20 cm around
the bucket (or in the bucket!).

This will give you the confidence to make those difficult casts when
accuracy is paramount.

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:47 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Guys,

I use baitcasters & spinning outfits. I like (read love) using the baitcasting outfit, but do not use it very often due to various limitations while fishing. I use a Abu 6600D6 for jigging & an Abu Revo SX for bait fishing, casting lures. I recently started casting lures & realised that I can get more distance with a baitcaster, however, due to lack of practise I am not all that accurate. With a spinning set up I am almost dead accurate if casting lures within the casting range & hence it is my personal preference.

The issue that I face with baitcasters is that besides the rare / odd birds nest that occours, is the line cutting into the spool while using braid. This happends when you have a big strike & fight a fish, once reeled it, the line tends to cut into the line spooled on the reel due to its thin diameter. The next cast after landing a big fish is going to cause you lots of misery unless you strip your line out & respool it with even tension on the line. While jigging I use braid on the baitcaster & for lures / baitfishing, I use mono.

Spinning outfits give me the option of going 'All braid'.....low diameter, equivalent knot strength (no loss of line strength due to knots) & great casting distance too.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject: