->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:42 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

I am very sorry Rajat [smilie=huggles.gif] .... I will try to grow up... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Next monday I will try to post some pictures of Barras. :twisted:

Which is the best fish market guys... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do not think, this fish market will also be a secret spot... :lol: :lol:

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Chimbai fish market.. ask Fred. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bob,
The Madh guys are still using the rods and tackle given to them.They just slaughter the Ravas when they see them.
I guess his kids in Madh must be quite grown up now !!!!!!!

Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:

Your new Protech rod has just been used to clear up the toilet drain of the local fisherwoman in Chimbai .... The tip now smells of you know what :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
santosh wrote:

Your new Protech rod has just been used to clear up the toilet drain of the local fisherwoman in Chimbai .... The tip now smells of you know what :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I think it smells like the antenna of that new multi functional Samsung phone antenna :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
I am very sorry Rajat [smilie=huggles.gif] .... I will try to grow up... :twisted:

Forget it big man lets just dump the whole thing and go fishing after all I am one of your luckiest partner :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ali there is one more market man the secret one you remember where you saw those monstrous ravas we almost took some pics that day :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:00 am 
Fishaholic

Wow there are lots of barras coming up on this post..
Bobby you have caught a lot of huge barras..
What kind of fishing are you upto now, in where you live?
And guys, i guess i should rename this post.. :P

Alibhai, waiting for your pics too :-)

Cheers,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Binu,

Have some more pictures but they cause fights so I have been advised to stop posting big Barra pics by some conserned friends :lol: :lol:

I live in Hong Kong now but I still go home for the odd Barra, did not get one on my last trip though but missed another monster, water was too clean and I was using braid without a leader.

In Hong Kong I have been fishing for Redfish, GT (small) and Ladyfish. I take them on very light tackle 4 - 6 lb line as the fish do not get over 8lb. On Saturday I plan to go for Murrel and Tarpon and I am about to go to the fisheries department for my licenses (as soon as I close this site). You need one to fish in Reservoirs and lakes here.

Most of my Friday evenings are spent watching Ladyfish :wink: can't catch these anymore, just cast a lure or two sometimes but clip the line early :lol: :lol:

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:18 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby,
I too love fishing with a light line in sea, mainly in harbor from piers preferably with a float. I like the small colorful fishes, its really exciting.. You would not know what you may catch.
What lures do you use for such light fishing?

Regards,
Binu

Last edited by binu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Saltwater fish are very colourful, I do not know what colourful fishes you are referring to, I believe they may be damsels of some kind or perhaps queen triggerfish. Try sabiki or sabkini rigs.

For real light fishing I use pins minnows by Yozuri.

Here are some of photos from my reef tank:

Damsel:

Majestic Angel:

Maroon Clown:

Damsel:

Queen Trigger (Not from my tank):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
Have caught gobies, wrasses, small snappers, triggerfish, puffer, tang and small grouper.
Also caught a stonefish once and had it in my aquarium for a while..
I have seen locals catch Lionfish, and very cute moray eels. but they would kill it the moment they take it out of water.

Your majestic Angel looks great.. Can you post a ful picture of your tank if yo have one..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:20 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Binnu,

When you say locals what are we talking about as I note your location is Pittsburgh?

Unfortunately my tank is no more, had a 3 hour power-failure in my building when I was on holiday about a year ago, all the pumps and the chiller stopped, it was during summer, the water temp went up, corrals went first and that spiked the water and all the fish went after that. I was so pissed off when I got back that I threw the whole damn tank out.

It was an established Reef tank I had going for about 10 years, with invertebrates multiplying. My angel was almost 6 years from the time I bought it and was doing great till doomsday. I sorted out the veg feed problem by buying a dried seaweed packets we get in the local Chinese food marts here they use in soups, maroon in colour, each packet cost me only HK$ 5 and lasted me 2 years. It is really an excellent source of nutrition for Saltwater fish that need veg in their diet, normally Magestics do not survive for so long in captivity.

You can tame lionfish, almost train them...almost.

Last edited by Bobby on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:59 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby, that's terrible about the tank.

About taming fish. yup they are pretty smart. my daughter feeds them and they know her by sight. When she walks by the tank the get all excited and follow her. Something they do not do when anybody else walks past. Maybe it's just the height thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:24 am 
Fishaholic

[quote="Mahaseerken"]Bobby, that's terrible about the tank.[quote]

Yep :( tell me about it [smilie=headfuck.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Bobby, that's terrible about the tank.

About taming fish. yup they are pretty smart. my daughter feeds them and they know her by sight. When she walks by the tank the get all excited and follow her. Something they do not do when anybody else walks past. Maybe it's just the height thing.

No Mken its not the height ... Turst me on this one

My Golden Arowana does just that . She sits in my bedroom in a 5 foot tank and being in a place that has a lot of traffic she swims pretty sedately without much ado .

However whenever I walk towards her with food in my hand ie goldfish or any other fish ,,, and im talking from a distance of over 10 - 12 feet she actually starts dancing in front of the front glass and then when im ready to put in the meal she wait stationery and patiently and then all hell breaks loose with her chasing the goldfish all over the place . Once she has eaten I can actually put my hand in the tank and she will swim by and brush against my hand

Will try and post something on you tube and maybe send Princess a CD of my managerie ... only then will you be FORCED to bring her down :)))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,
Am sorry about your tank. :( . I always wanted to keep an emperor angel and blue tangs, but did not buy one because i read you need to feed them algae, and getting fresh supplies of algae was difficult.. That was informative abt the seaweed, would give it a try... I was in Chennai, and came to Pittsburgh for a one year assignment. There are a few rivers near the downtown. The Ohio river starts from here, but am not sure what fishes are there in it. Heard there are Bass, blue catfish, flathead catfish and carps.. Just got a Plueger rod and reel, and am going now to a local tackle shop to get some idea about locations and fishes they catch..
Fred, i have seen your Arowana in one of the posts, it looks beautiful. I like arowanas when they feed..

Cheers,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:42 am 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:
Bobby,
Am sorry about your tank. :( . I always wanted to keep an emperor angel and blue tangs, but did not buy one because i read you need to feed them algae, and getting fresh supplies of algae was difficult

You could try spirulina, it is easily available.I have just started giving it to my dogs.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Binu,

Remember one thing, you need to put the weed into a mixer and chop it up into little bits about 1 cm sq. A quick short run of about 45 seconds should do the trick. Then store it in Airtight containers. You should get this in any china town, it is plain dried with no additives, I will try and find out what it is called in Chinese and let you know.

Yaj's suggestion is also good, but I had a problem feeding the spirulina suppliment to my fishes. I used to buy them in pellets and soak them in a few drops of Vita Chem by Boyd Enterprises. Vita-Chem is really excellent, make sure you get the one for Salt Water Fish though.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:

Yaj's suggestion is also good, but I had a problem feeding the spirulina suppliment to my fishes. I used to buy them in pellets and soak them in a few drops of Vita Chem by Boyd Enterprises. Vita-Chem is really excellent, make sure you get the one for Salt Water Fish though.

Bobby you get sun dried spirulina in powder or crunchy form.The Auroville site has it on sale.
http://www.auroville.com/natural-foods- ... 3_101.html
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the information Bobby and Yaj.. :-)

Regards,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:46 am 
Fishaholic

Yeah... Last surviving murral in my tank committed suicide yesterday by jumping out of the tank. I got 4 of them from the local market. This one survived for four months feeding well and occasionally nibbling the tails of the tilapia I had kept for feeding.
I came home in the morning and I bet I saw the tilapia smiling… Today after shift I will feed it to the RES turtles………. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Am sorry about that mate :( .. Murrals are one of my favourite fishes to have in a tank. You have to have a strong lid tightly closed, otherwise you would find them in some corner of your room or under the cot...
How big was your murral mate?

Cheers,
binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:14 am 
Fishaholic

It was about 4inch in length... :( ...I got 4 fingerlings for 5 bucks from fisher lady... By the way I went home today put on the Jaws sound track and chucked the tilapia in turtle tank.... :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
It was about 4inch in length... :( ...I got 4 fingerlings for 5 bucks from fisher lady... By the way I went home today put on the Jaws sound track and chucked the tilapia in turtle tank.... :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: