->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Emcast and Spheros
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:21 pm 
Fishaholic

http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/detail.aspx?ID=188

http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302036650&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1155895613928

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

If I was to take a reel, just looking at the pics you posted and without the run-ins I had, I would go for the Shimano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Just looking and putting up some stuff so we can effectively compare reels and get others to comment as well.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Diawa Emcast:

Penn SS:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,
Any idea what kinda drag the Emcast/Emcast sport puts out?

Mighty Marlin.

The advantage I'd presume would be the amount of drag the Spheros puts out.

Going by the pics it looks like casting distance would be further with the Emcast.

I'd use the Spheros for light popping/jigging and maybe chunking possibly.Guess the Emcast would be better for beach applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:39 pm 
Fishaholic

We have the Shimano Spheros, Daiwa Emcast & the Penn Spinfisher SS. Which wins in the shootout. I reckon they are in the same price bracket US$ 120-140.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

The Emcast in question is NOT the red sport version but the one which Bobby posted an image of. The sport version is not as solid as the other one.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:37 am 
Fishaholic

I found the Emcast Plus, is that the reel CC was looking at?

http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/detail.aspx?ID=51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
Bobby,
Any idea what kinda drag the Emcast/Emcast sport puts out?

Mighty Marlin.

The advantage I'd presume would be the amount of drag the Spheros puts out.

Going by the pics it looks like casting distance would be further with the Emcast.

I'd use the Spheros for light popping/jigging and maybe chunking possibly.Guess the Emcast would be better for beach applications.

No idea about the drag mate, the only drag test I do on my spinning reels are
1) Check for smoothness, not by turning it by hand, but by wrapping line on the spool and pulling it out

2) Check if it locks completely, by turning the spool by hand, the only reel I ever came across that did not lock completely was a reel by "Dam" which had a rear drag.

Drag is a funny thing, I am sure you are all aware with the leverage principle when it comes to drags, you would be surprised what a difference that can make.

For Chunking, Jigging I would go with the Penn. But between the Spheros v/s Emcast if not for my negativebias towards Shimano, I would go with what you suggested for the above applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm 

I`ve got an Emcast. For the money it`s a top reel. The drag is based on the Emblem (which I also use), and it is excellent. Really smooth with a positve, click round Drag knob. Highly recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:23 pm 

You get 2 spools aswell

Last edited by THseer on Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Nice reel, but it's too heavy for constant spinning.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:27 pm 

Your probably right, I use mine for carp much of which is static. The spare spool you get free is a bonus.

Post subject: Slammer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:33 pm 
Fishaholic

I purchased a Penn Slammer 460 (the 560 was not available in the store at the time) and have used it on all my trips ever since. Pls have a look at the review on this link: http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... p?t=459612

I find the Slammer far more solidly built than the Penn SS reels - its got a real nice compact feel - unfortunately the line capacity is not enough - and assuming you want minimum 300 yards you can achieve that by using fireline - though I feel that instead of using only fireline, one should combine mono with the fireline (125 yards) and that way you'll be able to load 225 yards or so - which is pretty good for the Golden up north. These capacities are for the 460, so the 560 will hold some more and that should be great. Maybe Penn will build a 660 and that would be fantastic. The best part about this reel is that its easy to work all day - the bail arm of the 460 is also solid, but does not lock in easy - so I lock manually.

Does anyone have some feedback on the following reels? They are mighty expensive, the first one is $750 and the Shimano Stella is in the $600 rangeand

The Penn Slammer is Highly Recommended, have a look
http://www.pennreels.com/01_products/re ... er/560.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Viraj,

As far as my knowledge goes the Penn Slammer is made in China so you can expect these niggles with the reel.

I have the Van Stall but mine is the earlier model, I understand the only difference between this one and mine is the counter balance (on the new one) to eliminate the wobble. I quite like the reel, but some people don't. It comes with a life time guaranty. I am a little bit eccentric about fishing tackle so unless you have got al load of reels and just want to buy one for the sake of it, I would suggest you go in for something more practical. Note this Van Stall one has a Manual Pickup, I think that they have another with a bail.

I do not like Shimano, when I went to buy the Stella, I noticed that the handle met the bail arm at a certain point when retrieving, this put me off completely, albeit it must be a flaw on that particular reel only but the fact that a flaw like that could get through on such a high end reel was something I could not fathom.

I will be getting a Daiwa Saltiga.

Regards,

Bobby