->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:52 am 

Hey guys, since you all know I'm pretty new to Angling, I want your help in suggesting me some reasonable tackle which I can get from US easily at a good price. Currently I have a Okuma Zeon 20 spinning reel and a Shimano spinning rod (CATANA - Scatte270M ) with 7 guides. I want to know specific lures, lines, hooks, and again any other rods and reel (maybe combo). I want something general which will enable me to do both fishing in still waters and in sea (while I make a trip to western maharashtra or Goa) and help me to catch bigger fish. My friend is coming down on 1st November and I can ask him to pick up something quick for me from a tackle store. So please help me fast. I dont want something redundant to what I've now, something which will enable to add to what I have (lures etc.) and something more. Thanks guys !!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Vivek, do your bit of work. Go through all the posts in the section below and make your own list.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewforum.php?f=15

What you are asking for is impossible to answer since each kind of fishing will need a different combination of equipment. You will not find one combo which will suit all species.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Kulsdood

I'll try to share some elementary Gyaan i gathered being among these Angling Gods !!!

for plugs to play in sea waters take rapala X raps orSinking magnums in - red head, firetigerm Silver mackrel & hottiger patterns in Sizers 12 - 18 cms and for freshwaters go for shiners - black and silver , golden. Blue magnums, shads & firetigers. in sizes 6 - 12 cms. sizes will also detrmine the casting wt of your rod (Also Availble in IA Shop)

Spoons - best are loclly available still ackme kastmasters , little coleo, halco Sliced, Abu Tobbies (sizes Assortment of wts from 5 grms to 70 grms) best option is to get about 20 -40 grms for fresh waters and 40- 70 grms for sea or really big waters (such spoons would cast around 150 - 200 mts) - use simmilar line as well 10 - 20 lbs for lighter 25 - 40 bls for heavier spoons

Spinners - an assortment is required Best is to Buy the panther martin Kit available here at the form with 32 pieces - beleive me its wonderfull as it also has some soft baits and also weedless spoons.

I fish mostly mahseer waters which are full of rocks and is fast waters as well - for Line I can asure you for berkley big game & maxima mono. As for braid i can't say much as i haven't used myself but Power braid and berkly Fireline is a gr8 option.

for Hooks go ahead for owners /VMC/ Gatamaktsu's sizes - (Assortment) 8,6,4,2 -Circle / Octopus type - 2/0 , 6/0 8/0 for dead or live baiting If Mustard Go for topgun hooks.

Hope this answers your questions. and the bigiees find my suggestions corect.

Hey guys plz do post you responses and comments.

Cheers!!!
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 pm 

Kulsood,
As said earlier, you seem to have a decent rig.Now learn to use it!
The drag, line loading, CASTING? learn the nuances of the line and rod and reel...a bait alone doesent get you a catch, but once a fish has taken your bait, the intricacies of bringing it in?
Mayur's suggestions are pretty valid, as all newbies , you will get yourself a lot of stuff, even stuff you dont know how to use! Yup, I did it and am still doing it ;)
Line 1/4 lb spools of 10, 12 15lb each
Hooks
NO.8,6,4 -100 each, 1/0 2/0 about 25 each
Trebles
no 4, no 1 - about 6 each

Spinners
Mepps Aglia - no 3,4,5, - 2 each
Frogs
Scum frogs, 1/2 and 3/8 oz about 4 in various colours
or that 32 pc Panther martin lure box is a good buy for consolidated lures...
This should serve you well for a majority of fresh water outings using atta, ragi worm, bread etc
What are your usual fishing waters? what is the kind of fish you are targetting ? your rig will be based on that.
Good luck and keep on doin it
Axx