->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Double drag?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:59 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,
I've just got this new carp reel made by Linaeffe --- B-King. Its got a double drag system. I'd like some advice on the best way of using(setting) this double http://www.total-fishing.com/Products.a ... 72A03E8D5E
Thanks,
Yaj.

Last edited by yaj on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Yaj the link you posted will work only on your PC. Please post an internet link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:45 am 
Fishaholic

Oops! Thanks Bops,rectified it.
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Yaj,

You have bought a baitrunner. Its a nice looking carp reel. This reel has a twin drag feature (baitrunner) and is popular with carp anglers. I use a baitrunner as well only its a multiplier. The principle is the same.

On your reel you can set your primary drag using the knob that's located above your spool. This sets the drag on your reel, set it to roughly one third the breaking strain of your line. You then throw the lever that's located on the top of your reel. This disengages your primary drag. You can now adjust the knob at the rear of the reel, primarily to see you don't get an over run when a fish hits your bait hard. Also when your baitrunner is on you will hear a loud clicking sound as line moves out of your reel. The idea is to let the fish pick up the bait and move on with out feeling any restriction from the line. By turning the handle on your reel the baitrunner disengages, the pressure comes on and you hook your fish to fight it on your primary drag.

I hope this clears things up. These reels are a boon to use when bites are slow. I'd suggest you invest in a rod stand so you can have your rod in the stand, baitrunner on and your hands are free to scratch your head and wonder when you'll get your next bite :wink:

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the detailed explanation MM! Got it now :-)
We've got rod stands set up on Ali's machan at powai where it is probably going to be used most.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Hi Yaj, looks like MM already answered this one. Hope my live demo helped :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:38 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
Hi Yaj, looks like MM already answered this one. Hope my live demo helped :-)

Icing on the cake Bops :D
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I have been fishing quite a bit on the WASI lake for Rohus and in the absence of a bait runner spinning reel, I set the main drag to a level where the line gets pulled out easily. I also use a rod stand, and wind the spiral lead on an empty ball point pen refill, with a bead secured by a rubber band about 2 feet from the baited hook. When the fish takes the bait, the line flows easily through the refill and the sound of the reel alerts you to the fish taking the bait. To set the hook it requires some skill. I take the rod off the stand,hold the spool with my thumb to increase the drag,and strike to set the hook and at the same time tighten the drag to exert pressure on the fish. Stay calm if you wish to try this!!

Advantages: No holding the rod(s) for hours on end, you can have 2 to 3 rods in the water, no risk of the rod getting pulled into the water if a big fish strikes. Just be near the rods so you can hear the reel tick and have plenty of line on the reel.

I have landed a 5 kg Catla and several Rohus using this method.

However, I will soon be investing in a Shimano Bait Runner spinning reel!!

Sandeep