->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Crappy Okuma
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:29 am 
Enlightened

just got a new okuma epixor reel after much consideration and searching for a big reel with line capacity and the brakes required for big rivers and big fish - thought this reel had the specs to cover the line capacity (325 yrds/25lbs) and the bearings to make it smooth.

was in a complete state of shock when i opened the packet to find such a shoddy 'made in china' plastic broken drag knob with a shaky bale arm and the plastic worse than chowri bazar kind of a job - shocked !!! Looking at the reel, I doubt it had the line capacity to even take the amount of line in comparison to my Daiwas and Shimanos.

wont sit in a jeep to get to the river with this kind of a reel - better off fishing with a line around a bottle ... atleast I know the bottle wont start falling apart with a fish on.

OKUMA - sorry folks your reels are crap - drop this brand - stick with the Daiwas and the Shimanos.

Better to be safe than sorry with a stupid bale arm, a freaky drag and clumsy reel ...

Some pointers -
* number of bearings dont count in smoothness except in the case of Daiwas and Shimanos. A 4-5 bearing Daiwa/ Shimano is better than any of the 9 bearing weird brands out there.
* A solid bale arm with good spring is essential for a long lasting reel
* good bearings make a difference to the smoothness of the reel
* Big fish need solid reels

angler nightmare - casting knowing there are monsters around with a suspicious OKUMA reel ... just imagine - BANG - fish on - first run and the reel starts going weird on you ... somehome you put the brakes on holding on to the drum- the second run and the drag gives way and you hear every bearing go CRAAAAACK .........

there is no mercy on the river with stupid reels and big mahseer ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

Yeh! There are a lot of crappy reels out there. And surprisingly you can get them from any brand, Abu, Shimano and Daiwa included. What I have figured out is not to pick up anything made in china. Their stuff is crap.

Other than that I have a small Okuma and it works just fine. And I have an Abu that is crap, sounds like a coffee grinder.

stay away from chinese rods and lures as well. There is a 'big cheap brand' available in Singapore called Sure Catch. Beware of this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:44 am 
Site Admin

You get what you pay for :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

8) :twisted: :D :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I did consider the Okuma Epixor, but finally bought a Daiwa Tierra TDTR4000
spinning reel.

I was also attracted by the low cost for a 10 bearings reel.
But made a decision based on Daiwa's reputation, and the weight of the reel.

I now feel happy about my decision :D

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

I did try out quite a few brands of reels.

Initially when I just started fishing in the UAE, I started with something cheap to see if I would actually be interested in fishing. Within 2-3 trips the handle was already bent & another broke. I guess 8 + 1 bearings dont make a difference if the material used is of inferior quality.

As Bops rightly put it, you get what you pay for. I must also add, you dont always get what you pay for.
I bought a diawa from the US of A & was quite excited when the reel came. guess what? when I opened it, the 'made in china' label slapped me in the face. fortunately that reel has served me well & still continues to do so.

I do have an Okuma baitcaster, but I am too freaked out to try it. I'd rather stick to my penn baitcaster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Folks, how many reels are actually NOT made in China? Even the venerable Penn Spinfisher is now made in China. The superb Daiwa Tierra which Mak is happy with is also made in China.

Most tackle manufacturers are moving to China whether we like it or not. It's quality control that counts not where it's made.

Just because one person had a bad experience with Okuma does not mean everybdy should. Okuma makes good reels too, the new V-System is getting great reviews. It all depends on how much you are willing to pay for quality.

Post subject: shop on net
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:19 am 
Enlightened

there are less than 6-8 reels available which have the capacity required to fish big rivers with confidence if you dont want to pay $ 500 for a stella. A min line cap of 250 yrds/25 lbs is necessary up north if you want to fish them big rivers.

i guess its all about QC but the facts are that the QC seems to erratic with all the feedback coming in of various companies and reels.

i guess unless we are able to shop at physical locations and check out the reels ourselves, we are exposed to the 'made in china' gamble with net shopping.

Im just a bit more confident of Japanese QC - after all they taught the world QC.

getting a Shimano Spheros instead = be safe and sure when the fish bangs hard ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

The Shimano Spheros saltwater reel is good and has always been receiving superb reviews worldwide. A good bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Take a look at the Saltiga surf. I think it is great.... a life time reel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:10 pm 

Hi
I am totally new to fishing and after months of deciding and debating on the best rod and reel combo for a starter I finally got myself an UglyStik paired with the Okuma Epixor-65 mainly for Surf fishing.

I may not be as experienced as the others here .... but I am very satisfied with its performance in our surf conditions. Casts well, gets the distance and above all takes a beating being handed out by a newbie.

BTW, I did read somewhere that Okuma customer service is top-notch and many people abroad on other forums did go on record saying that their defective reels were replaced in record time. I'm not sure how we can manage that from India ... but just to let you know.

Here's one piece of advice given to Maruthu on another forum when he was trying to help me choose a rod and reel. I guess it pretty much helped me make up my mind
Quote:
Take my advice...
I'm the head of the outdoors department at The Sports Authority in Paramus, NJ. I don't care where you buy it, but if I were you i would buy an okuma epixor 65 ($70) and match it with a 10" Ugly Stik. ($60). Being that your friend isn't a very experienced fisherman, i would reccomend the ugly stik because it can take a beating. The reason i wouldn't go with a Shimano baitrunner is because it has the baitrunner mode which will confuse the hell outta your friend. Also, stay away from all penn SSm series reels because they are made in China. The Okuma is made in China, but it is a lot less $$ and is as durable and strong as the Penn. Plus it has 10BB vs. the Penn which has 5. Also, don't spool up with 25lb mono; that's too heavy. Go with 20lb. Ande or Berkley big game and then use either 50lb. or 80lb. leader depending on the bait you are using. If using bunker use 80lb. (you will catch a lot of bluefish, which cut thinner line). If using clams or worms, use the 50lb. Also, you don't need flourocarbon, but it helps. Take my advice; i do this for a living and have a lot of insider info on products.

Cheers
Crak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:05 pm 
Fishaholic

i have just ordered a okuma razor 30M . should be coming in in a couple of days. however, i sort of knew what i was in for. the reels are cheap as chips so i didnt expect fireworks !! they seem to be good for beginners like yours truly. and then iam also getting a free 170 yards of 6 lb mono. any guesses as to how good that ll be? - exactly !
like other sporting good, price does seem to be a good indicator of quality for fishing tackle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Bops is right, you get what you pay for.
Take the electronics market, they have cheap stuff that come with no guarentee, there is medium quality stuff that comes with a years guarentee, and then there is the best quality available with a life time warranty.
Most manufacturers have given up competing with the Chinese, instead they have given them the tools and dies and asked them to manufacture for them.
Love it or leave it, they are here to stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:30 am 

if all things fail, try ACCURATE or OCEANUS....
You get what you pay for. :lol:

Tacklebloke