->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

As recently, i was causally checking a local tackle shop , i stumbled upon shimano spheros, as this were JDM version the store had 5000 pg/hg, 6000 pg/hg, and 8000 pg/hg ( note this JDM reels have the same body of the export version, just the stem is split, has felt drag washers and cast iron drive gear which is cheaper and weaker.
but as the price was around 11k and i did not do my research of JDM and export version i picked the 6000hg size, spooled it with 20lb sufix carp braid, the reel has uniform lay of braided line.
using the reel for past 2 months and landing some nasty really big barracudas and small groupers, i was impressed how the reel had good cranking power, and even with felt washers the drag was smooth.
so i decided to upgarde the drag by using crobentex drag washers, which i have already got and waiting for a fish to test them on, in fact i liked the feel and weight of the reel, that i have ordered a export version from USA, which should arrive by end of the month.
this reels casts very well and is perfect for beach fishing, with good amount of seals to keep salt water out, if you go casting waist deep in water, and cant afford to buy the very expensive van staal, this is the reel to buy.
personally i would suggest not to buy the JDM version and buy the export version, if you have friends in US and are coming to India, you can ask them to get it or you can ship it to UAE or any other country where you have friends as the custom duty and taxes in India are very high if you want to get the reel shipped to India.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:53 pm 
Fishaholic

@ RaMpEr

I have always found it confusing that the JDM version is built to a lower specification than the export versions.
The Japanese are a quality conscious people and it is surprising to see this dichotomy.

However, the Spheros SW reel has got excellent reviews across the board and I am sure you will enjoy using it.

At some stage, you can sell the JDM model to recoup some of your cost.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Received my export version of spheros sw 5000, this is one of the smoothest reel, in fact its more smoother than the jdm version, the reel got smoother the more i used it casting lures, paired it with 9 feet penn battalion inshore rod, and what surprise as to how light this setup has got, both the rod and reel arrived on the same day, as i had not used either of them before.
now i need to hook something big to test it fingers crossed as big barramundis will be coming out near river mouth as the summer kicks in

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:55 am 
Fishaholic

just made a youtube video for spheros below is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7bNMjtiTjo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Good attempt at making a video..... keep at it by filming some of your catches of barracuda!

Kingfish