->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:04 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:38 pm 
Fishaholic

That is correct Ken. Indus system includes Indus, Jhelum, Chenab, Ravi, Beas,Sutlej and more than a thousend other small rivers/streams that flow through the entire length of Kashmir, North Western India, Pakistan and fall into the Arabian Sea. These rivers originate mostly in Hamalayan/Karakoram mountain ranges at very high altitudes/ cold climate and roll through the warmer plain regions of Pujab and Sind. Trout and snow carp are the predominanat fish of higher altitudes, mahseer are found in middle semi mountaineous regions with cold temperature whereas Goonch, Singhara, Mulley (Wallago Attu), various carps etc are found in abundance in plains (warm to hot regions).
Unfortunately, we dont have crucian carps here. And most unfortunately, i couldn't explore the link that you mentioned; some connectivity problem. Thanks anyway.
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:34 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L,

Yes they are, but we're discussing the upper Indus which is basically icy mud. Lower down both are native.

Sualaeh & Shaphan

The mahseer is not found in Chilas. I have a few relatives their who have a habit of damming up portions (side streams) of the river in winter when its flowing very low and ecimating the fish who get caught in the pool. No mahseer or catfish, other than little khaga like flat headed thing, are found that high up.

I think the mahseer does not go up much further than Raikot bridge or Kohistan.

As for Chitral being moderate. Gilgit rarely ever gets any snow in winter. Chitral is covered in white for up to a month at a time.

Chitral has hot summers and cold winters, The very opposite of moderate. Tourists who come in summer wonder how a place so high up can have Multanesque temperatures and are amused when people tell them it snows heavily in wintwer. Government officers who are posted there and stay the winter think that theyve landed up in the arctic.

I could go on about how Chitral is like the Northern Areas in every single way, weather, culture, traditions etc. but since its grouped together with Swat and Dir most people assume its like those places.

To put it simpely, people in Dir and Swat dont play polo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:16 am 
Fishaholic

Anotehr odd thing about Tarbela is that its full of a species of Snow Carp (Swati Macchi) but they never bite, Plenty are caught in nets though.

I have caught some beneath the Tarbela spillway though.

As for carp culture in the North. I am highly against it, people actually keep carp in waters that are suitable for trout, but at least in Chitral most people have the common sense not to do that. Tourists come to eat "Trowt" or "Barfaani Macchi" not your common gulfaam...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Sualeh.

The link should be fixed now.
If you're still having problems, you can go to the homepage at http://www.fishbase.org/search.php
From there, scroll down the page to "Information by Ecosystem", select "Indus (River basin)" and click the "All fishes" tab.
The site also holds information about the Cauvery system or you could just select either India or Pakistan from the information by country list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ken, useful database. Interestingly, i do not find few very common fish like Channa Marilius (sowl), Labeo Rohita (Rohu), Wallago Attu (Mulley) etc in the list. There is also no mention of Mahseer whereas mahseer is found in abundance in Indus river sys, specially in Jhelum, Chenab, Punch rivers. (well its no more in abundance: courtesy illegal netting). This list perhaps needs updation.
Regards
Sualeh