->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:59 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:56 pm 

We have caught lots of small mahseer on 20mm halibut pellets but are hindered by the lack of availability in India. We can only take a couple of kilos within our baggage allowance which just isn't enough for anything other than hookbaits. Bigger versions would be ideal but I don't know if you can obtain these pellets in bigger sizes. They would be good for pre-baiting.

Does anybody know if large halibut or fishmeal pellets can be obtained in India?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

I'm afraid not. The angling industry in India isn't all that advanced. You could use chicken feed or cat food.

Have a look at this, it might help.

http://www.tradeindia.com/selloffer/105 ... turer.html

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:33 pm 

Thanks Bopanna,

I may consider shipping some out in advance of our trip. I reckon we'll need 14 x 25 kilo bags for our stay so we will save a fortune if we can get it from within India.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Instead of pellets, why don't you try an attactant added to Ragi? It's far easier to carry some monster crab liquid flavour concentrate than to carry sacks of pellets. Besides ragi is what the local fish are used to.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:33 pm 

You are right that it would save a lot of hassle. We had thought of flavouring the ragi with Monster Crab. I suspect that the cost of exporting pellets to India will be too expensive and we will end up adapting ragi as you recommend. I'm sure that we can get the guides to produce extra ragi for baiting with and the cooked ragi can easily be adapted into smaller flavoured boilies. I don't think it was our intention to use pellets as hookbait - just for prebaiting.

I don't think the ragi will have the same attractant level when prebaited as halibut pellets. Halibut Pellets baited at the head of the long deeper pools which house many of the bigger mahseer will draw fish from miles of river. The ragi will never do this. Whether the fish drawn will be mahseer or other problem species like turtles, catfish and carp is anybody's guess :?

We just want to try something different and our results show halibut pellets outfishing ragi for small mahseer. The important thing is that the fish like them so I am reluctant to change plans unless they are financially or logistically impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:03 am 
Site Admin

I guarantee, you will have hordes of turtles competing for your hookbait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:08 am 

I'm not really looking to increase my personal best turtle (about 30lb!!) :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:23 pm 

Hi Ecclerigg,

Fishmeal should be available at most coastal cities and sometimes available at fish mongers in inland cities but not in pellet form. Also available is dried/salted fish which has a very strong smell.

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:36 pm 

Many thanks Alexis,

I'll try and find the nearest source to Bangalore. We just need something to carry out a regular and effective baiting campaign while we are there.

Cheers
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Dried and salted fish.... :shock: whew ....

They sell this at a place called shivajinagar in Bangalore.

Carry your gas mask :twisted: when you have to collect

I can take you there but I will take my dues in fresh fish :wink:

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:08 pm 

The road next to beef market Jude? used to be one way... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Hey Hey
Don't say anything bad about dried fish. Have you ever tried dried bombil (bombay duck) fried with rice and yellow dal or a dried shrimp balichow or dried mackerel . Making my mouth water right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Folks please don't try to hijack every thread. Some humour is appreciated but not all the time. If you have anything to contribute to the thread subject do so, otherwise use the general off topic section for chit chat.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Raggi is cheap, eggs are very cheap and dried prawns cost about 10 Rs for a big cupfull of the smallest ones. Bring a few flavourings and you'll be good to go.

One thing that you might be able to source are the dried mantis shrimp that are produced as a byproduct of the prawn trawling industry in Kerala. I have no doubt that they are processed into fish food (or at least a powderd form of dried shrimp) locally, and you might be able to source this for bait making on a large scale if you ask the right people the right questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:15 pm 

Thanks Ken - that is worth considering.

Does anybody know if the fishmeal available in India is white fishmeal or brown?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:31 am 
Fishaholic

fish meal can be procured from most govt. fishries centers. The sell it in burlap sacks, with weights ranging from 50 kgs to 100 kgs, and they are relatively inexpensive as they are meant for farmers to use as feed in stocked ponds.

Try your local cattle feed supplier. If he does not have it, he'll be able to point you in the right direction.