->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:20 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,

I have a fish problem in my saltwater tank and I need to get rid of a few fish that are destroying my corals.

I need to catch the culprits and have to do so with hook and line because of the amount of rocks and corals in my tank. So I bought some No. 12 hooks and am giving it a go with shrimp.

What has been interesting to observe though is how the fish take the bait and spit it out as I get a superb view from the side through the tank glass. Because I do not want them to swallow the hook I have to strike fast before they can turn and run, this most of the time pulls the hook out of the mouth even thought the whole hook was taken in.

What I did note was when a fish "takes", all the time the hook is swallowed sideways so that it goes flat into the mouth and when you strike it comes out easily, because the way the hook is taken it remains in that position and the point being sharp most of the time finds the opening of the mouth and assists the whole hook out. You must realize that because of the bait on the hook the mouth is slightly open assisting the hook comming out. What is also interesting is that all the time after taking the hook they initially swim backwards before they turn, this again contributes to the hook coming out when you strike early.

I was having a lot of problems connecting, so after this observation I bent the front length slightly sideways and my strike rate was 100% when the fish completely took the hook in.

However ss Murphy’s Law goes I have been catching all the other fish except those buggers.

This may be something you live bait guys.

The above will work well for shy fish that cautiously take the bait, in a shoal where bold fish take and immediately run may not make much of a difference.

I note there are several hooks with twisted shanks that actually turn in a fish’s mouth to increase hook ups and you get a lot of hooks with the front length bent already. The hook I was using had the front length bent already, however it was not enough and I had to twist it a bit more to work.

Something you guys should try out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Very interesting write up, Bobby - its what I would call as "evidence based" observation. You should have made a small video of it.
Come to think of it, at least in my limited experience, most the fish that i have hooked, have the hook caught in the side of the mouth. Perhaps your observation provides some explanation for this.