->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Snake Bite precautions,
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi folks,

If anyone out there knows where to get a snake bite kit in India please let us all know.

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:08 am 
Fishaholic

I have got one, courtesy Eljefe. However, it needs to be put together as you don't get a ready made one from the chemist.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:28 am 
Fishaholic

Mr.B,

I've long heard stories of cobras and vipers etc on the cauvery. Since I do a lot of walking through the undergrowth this is of some concern, since getting bitten would pretty much mean adios.

Maybe you could indentify the species to look out for and what to do if nipped.

Keep up the good work,

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:29 am 
Fishaholic

Will do as soon as I have packed the little fellow to school.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:58 am 
Fishaholic

Jeff,

Apart from the anti-venom kit Eljefe has given me 31 pages of notes on what to do when bitten by certain poisonous snakes, viz. Common Cobra, King Cobra, Krait and Russels Viper.

If you wish I could photocopy and post them to you because I'll be damned if I am going to type out 31 pages as I do not have a scanner.

I cannot precis the bloody thing because there are still a few things I don't understand and am waiting for Eljefe to actually demonstrate how to go about it.

In the meanwhile, I will draw Eljefe's attention to this thread and time permitting he may be able to give us some pointers.

Rustam

Post subject: snake bite-1
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:18 am 

OK Guys,
Bit of a long topic and my typing skills are just great, so hang in there...will post in instalments
1.Snake bite kit-should be part of your FA kit
DO NOT USE ANY TOURNIQUET
Newer, highly effective technique is to use the aussie wrap-using a crepe bandage or dupatta or any suitable cloth.Wrapping the bandage from bitten part upto the armpit or groin, assuming the bite has been on an extremity.

Snake anti venom -lyophilised , powder form vial-2 (can keep in sun , desert wherever and is effective even years after expiry date!Do not buy Bharat Serums liquid ASV-needs refrigeration!!)
from Haffekine Lab or Indian Serum Research Institute, Kasauli-about Rs.450ea -2
Inj. Adrenaline 1:1000-2
Inj/Tab Rantac -2
Tab.Avil or Claridin or Allegra 180mg-2
Tab.Medrol 8 mg -2
Alcohol wipes or small bottle of surgical spirit
Betadine oint-15g small-1
Surgipad 10x10 sterile dressings-2
Crepe bandage-6"-2
1/2 inch paper plaster-1 MICROPORE is common brand
Sterile Water for Injection-10 ml x 2
Scalp vein needle sets:
No18-1
No 22-1

In the event of an actual or probable bite from an Indian or Common Cobra, execute the following first aid measures without delay.
Snake:
Make sure that the responsible snake or snakes have been appropriately and safely contained, and are out of danger of inflicting any additional bites.
Transportation:
Immediately call for transportation.

Victim:
Keep the victim calm and reassured. Allow him or her to lie flat and avoid as much movement as possible. If possible, allow the bitten limb to rest at a level lower than the victim's heart.
Immediately wrap a large crepe bandage snugly around the bitten limb starting at the site of the bite and working proximally up the limb (the full length if possible). The bandage should be as tight as one might bind a sprained ankle
Secure a splint to the bandaged limb to keep the limb as rigid and unmoving as possible. Avoid bending or moving the limb exessively while applying the splint.
DO NOT remove the splint or bandages until the victim has reached the hospital and is receiving Antivenom.
Have the Haffkine Bio-Pharmaceutical Corp. Polyvalent Antivenom ready for the victim.
DO NOT cut or incise the bite site
DO NOT apply ice to the bite site
DO NOT apply Suction devices from OTC/Sawyer snake bite kits
Kit is common to all the big 4 of India,as snake antivenom is POLYVALENT.
How to use.
Shoo the snake away, worse case scenario, kill it!
apply surgical spirit to bite, over this TRY to apply little betadine ointment and strap , using the surgipad and plaster.
Then apply the crepe bandage as described and transport teh patient ASAP.

If you have recognised the snake to be a venomous one, please also pop the following tabs:

Rantac/Zinetac-2
Medrol 8mg-1
Avil or Claridin or Allegra 180mg-1
When you reach the hospital, tell the physician the history/background and be prepared for an IV line.
Snake antivenom is made from Horse serum and can cause bad allergic reactions, upto and including death! thats why you have taken the pills mentioned above.Incidently, the same pill regimen can be used for a bad allergic attack , with nbreathing difficulty...
Before starting ASV therapy, I give the patient 0.3 ml lof adrenaline -(epinephrine, aka epipen-a preloaded injectible pen, abt 55 USD, 10 rupees if you mix your own!)
DEEP IM.So, if your doc hasnt had experience in handling snake bites, tell him to do this before starting ASV intravenously-If you are a heart patient then 1/2 this dose, repeat again in 15-20 min.It causes shivering and tremors and kicks up heart rate, but will prevent a ANAPHYLACTIC REACTION to horse based ASV
OBSERVE PATIENT CLOSELY for signs and symptoms of envenomation which usually manifest between 15 minutes and two hours following the bite.
If NO signs or symptoms have been noted after TWO hours, there is the possibility that the patient received a dry bite (no venom injected).

VERY SLOWLY begin to remove the bandages and splint watching carefully for any changes in the patient's status. If any changes occur, assume the patient has been envenomed and prepare to give antivenom immediately (as directed below).

If signs and symptoms still fail to manifest, continue CLOSE observation of the patient for an additional 24 hours.

IF ANY SIGN OR SYMPTOM becomes apparent or has been noted during the course of evaluation, begin Antivenom Therapy as follows:
Each vial of Haffkine Institute Polyvalent Antivenom is packaged as a lyophilized dry preparation in a glass vial with an accompanying vial of sterile water (to reconstitute the antivenom). It is preferable to reconstitute the antivenom in Lactated Ringers Solution. The contents of TWO vials of antivenom are to be used as the Initial dose. Withdraw 20 ml of room temperature Lactated Ringers Solution into a sterile syringe, and then transfer 10 ml to each antivenom vial.
Carefully mix and reconstitute the antivenom in each vial by covering the open ends with several thicknesses of sterile gauze sponges and then shaking each vial vigorously for one minute. Allow the vials to stand still for one minute to clear. Withdraw the CLEAR solution into a clean sterile syringe (leaving froth and undissolved particles behind), and prepare to transfer to IV Fluid bottle.

Administer the reconstituted Antivenom intravenously over a period of 20 minutes at a rate of 1 vial per 10 minutes (i.e., 1.0 mls per minute).

Should any signs of ALLERGY/ANAPHYLAXIS -This is reaction to the snake antivenom (e.g., coughing, dyspnea, urticaria, itching, increased oral secretions, etc.) develop, immediately discontinue the administration of antivenom, and treat symptoms with epinephrine, steroids and antihistamines.
As soon as the patient is stabilized, continue the antivenom infusion at a slower rate.
After the first two vials of antivenom has been administered, the splint and the bandages may be removed. This should be done VERY SLOWLY over a FIVE minute period to prevent a bolus release of venom. If the patient's condition worsens:
Reapply the crepe bandage. Prepare a third vial of antivenom (1 vial in 10 mls of Lactated Ringers Solution) immediately as directed above.
Infuse this dose at 1.0 ml per minute for 10 minutes.
Release the bandage again slowly over 5 minutes.
In any case, an additional vial of antivenom should be prepared and allowed to dissolve fully. Anticipate giving this next dose approximately Two hours after the first two vials has been delivered. If the patient's symptoms should persist or worsen, administer this dose 60 or 90 minutes following the first dose or doses.
ANTIVENOM THERAPY IS THE MAINSTAY OF TREATMENT FOR COBRA/KRAIT ENVENOMATION.
Many of the symptoms are ameliorated or entirely eliminated by the antivenom alone. Other symptoms will require additional modalities of therapy to correct. Local symptoms may take several days to weeks to completely resolve; their progression, however, may be treated with antivenom therapy.

Neurological Symptoms (especially respiratory obstruction or failure) are usually the most immediate cause of dangerous problems. Often, these are improved by the antivenom. If breathing becomes impaired, provide respiratory assistance.
If severe muscle paralysis develops and persists, administer 0.6 mg of Atropine IV. Follow by giving 0.5 mg of Neostigmine IV every 30 minutes for a maximum of FIVE doses. (This is real despo scenario, if you are far from medical help, but the AUSSIE WRAP bandage has been proved to delay venom spread for upto 8 -10 hrs, however, do not test this!)

It is important to keep venom neutralization current and continuous. The best method to accomplish this is to keep a close watch on the patient's status. If the present condition does not improve, or should it worsen for any reason, additional antivenom should be administered. The antivenom should ideally be diluted 1 to 10 in Lactated Ringers Solution, and always given by intravenous infusion at a rate of One vial per 10 minutes (1.0 mls per min). Give all additional antivenom in one vial doses. One should anticipate using Three to Five vials for a minor bite. Ten to Fifteen may be necessary for moderate or severe bites.

Stay safe and God Bless
Asif

Last edited by eljefe on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:37 am 
Site Admin

That was a wonderful description Asif. Thanks for taking the time to contribute this artice. I'm sure it will be appreciated by all our members!

After going through the article I'm going to invest in a pair of snake chaps. I've found quite a few on Cabelas.

Do you think the American snake chaps are thick enough to protect us from Cobra, Krait and viper bites?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0033694

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Asif, gonna take a print out and keep it along with the items mentioned in my kit. Hope i will never have to use it.
Better safe than sorry.
Regards
Owen
IndianAngler wrote:
That was a wonderful description Asif. Thanks for taking the time to contribute this artice. I'm sure it will be appreciated by all our members!

After going through the article I'm going to invest in a pair of snake chaps. I've found quite a few on Cabelas.

Do you think the American snake chaps are thick enough to protect us from Cobra, Krait and viper bites?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0033694

Post subject: snake chaps
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:04 pm 

Sounds Good Bops (if i may?)
The scariest of indian snakes is the Russel's Viper-has fangs about 2.5 cm long.
The chaps are pretty tough and should deter most bites comfortably and increase the wearer's level of confidence.
Suggest members look on the net for pics of the following:
Cobra
Krait-2 types-banded and common
Saw scaled viper and
russels viper.
King Cobra is seen in malvalli/ mangalore side-Hebri near manipal was a hot fav -caught 2 Kings in 2 days.They are creatures of the deep jungle and a common saying is - if a 100 people see a king cobra, it will die-obviously it has to be sick and unable to stay in cover...
Kraits and Cobra/King Cobra are from the same venom family-Venom effectively paralyses the body, person dies of respiratory paralysis.
Symptoms start with vomiting, neck muscle weakness, inability hold head up, progress to inability to keep eyes open or speak, protrude tongue.
These are progressive and may occur anywhere between a few minutes to 30-60 min, depending on the dose of venom delivered.ANd are BAAAAD signs-rush for help-give mouth to mouth respiration if required.

Best
Axx

Post subject: full article
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:11 pm 

Guys, can I post the full 30 page treatment schedule somewhere? it has pics and drawings on how to apply aussie wrap etc?
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Asif,

If you do have the entire 30 pages in digital text then please post it right here on the forum. If it's a pdf file then upload it on www.rapidshare.de and paste the url here.

Thanks again!
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

One thing thats very important to remember is that anti venin can kill some people just as quick as venom if they have an allergic reaction.

Also a tourniquet with a bad russells vipers bite can cause awful wounds and nerve damage.

Its important to make sure that a bite is from a venomous snake and even if it is, to make sure that it is a real "wet" bite that resulted in an injection of venom or just a dry bite where no venom has been injected. ie wait for symptoms in a hospital.

Its best to go to a hospital but even there the usual procedure is to pump you full of antivenin. It makes sense to inform yourself from the info posted above and to maybe let the docs know if they over do it. Most rural areas have docs who know very little about anti venom administration. However its still better rather an adminstering it yourself in a panic.

St Johns hospital is supposedly quite good for this in blore.

btw Heres an image i took a few years ago in Madras.

Post subject: pic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Oops. here it is.
Antivenin wouldnt have helped here if things had gone wrong..!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:47 pm 

Your Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/26261381/sna ... t.doc.html

Thanks Ryan and welcome aboard, thats a good one of the ophiophagus with Rom in the background.
The last time I had to intubate a patient in about 4 min after a king cobra bite-took him 72 vials of ASV to be resurrected ...hate the Russel's viper patients-complications are too many-many die because of bleeds in the brain-entire coagulation architecture is deranged...good to have another herp onboard-me, I handle patients more than snakes, but if push comes to shove , pull out the snake stick and do a lil bit of tail wrangling, no sweat.
Best
Axx

Post subject: St Johns , bangalore
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:50 pm 

Yes Mabel and Her crew are very good.
Dr.Mabel Vasnaik is HOD of Emergency Medicine at St.Johns' Bangalore.If in need do give my reference.Dr.M.Asif Ali
Director ,Emergency Medicine,Fortis Hospitals, Noida.
Dont worry abt the noida bit, am a bangalorean in exile! :D
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Asif,

Thanks for the manual I just read through it briefly. To be honest I've had a couple of close shaves with snakes on the estate . I had no idea that the treatment would be so scary :shock:

I'm placing an order for a pair of snake chaps or boots real soon!

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Coming to think of it in the last 10+ years of fishing I've seen snakes about half a dozen times. One sand boa, 2 saw scaled vipers, a krait and a couple of keelbacks.
I always keep an eye open when I'm out spinning for Murral. Guess it pays to watch where you step.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Asif,

Is the Swayer suction pump or a similar device available in India?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:16 pm 

Sawyer pump was tried out on pigs envenomed with rattlesnake (eastern diamond back) and found to be useless.All the pigs treated with Sawyer DIED, all the pigs treated with the bandage wrap technique survived...
Taking the lead, we tried it out on chickens-couldnt run the aussie wrap, purely Sawyer and we had 100% mortality.

I am not infavour of sawyer.Dont think it is available here off the shelf-unless the chinese decided to hit Sawyer co.!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
I had no idea that the treatment would be so scary :shock:

It's merely an IV needle Bops... :roll: Or did you mean complicated instead of scary? :wink:

Quote:

You'll look a right plonker but as tailors are known to say, "Suits you, sir!" :mrgreen:

Asif, thanks a bunch for typing it up but I still want a demo when you are in B'lore next - especially that popping the veins lark.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Quote:

It's merely an IV needle Bops... :roll: Or did you mean complicated instead of scary? :wink:

Quote:

You'll look a right plonker but as tailors are known to say, "Suits you, sir!" :mrgreen:

Asif, thanks a bunch for typing it up but I still want a demo when you are in B'lore next - especially that popping the veins lark.

Rustam

We need someone from the forum to volunteer for the demo !! Any suggestions Rustam? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
We need someone from the forum to volunteer for the demo !! Any suggestions Rustam? :wink:

Either Inder or Bops. They are both techies, so no loss if they pop their clogs in the interests of science.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Rustam Bana wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Rustam

Asif
Quote:
The last time I had to intubate a patient in about 4 min after a king cobra bite-took him 72 vials of ASV to be resurrected ...hate the Russel's viper patients-complications are too many-many die because of bleeds in the brain-entire coagulation architecture is deranged...

I'd say that sounds pretty scary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

BTW if not for us techies you wouldn't have the internet or the forum to banter away! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:14 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
I'd say that sounds pretty scary...

Not half as scary as you togged up in chaps. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

LOL :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:16 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
BTW if not for us techies you wouldn't have the internet or the forum to banter away! :twisted:

Point conceded but bear in my mind we chaps come ten a penny. :wink: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Either Inder or Bops. They are both techies, so no loss if they pop their clogs in the interests of science.Rustam

Okay, In the interest of science I am ready to Volunteer, So where is that sexy Blonde nurse :wink: and i would like to have sponge bath after the experiment :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Inder :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject: experiment
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:08 am 

Ho Chaps
in the interest of saving my fellow anglers skins, butts whatever, here's my 24x7 mobile-09810047865 for an emergency.
An emergency does not mean-
"I'm drunk and thought I'd honour you by letting you talk to me at midnight" I will curse you in atleast 14 languages and wish a vasectomy/proctoscopy on you... :twisted:

For those of you salivating about the blonde nurse and sponge bath after the 'experiment' try vivid video :evil:
Right now I have a russel's victim and he's stable after 7 vials of ASV-dont think it was a full dose envenomation.Can post snaps of the bite marks...
Banter aside Guys, dont mess with a snake, having faced quite a few in the wilds, all I can say is if you stumble across one, back off , dont even think of handling-its reflexes are a zillion times faster than our city bred pot bellies...
Safe fishing, land your selves a record murrel and God bless
Axx

Post subject: Re: experiment
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Admin

eljefe wrote:
its reflexes are a zillion times faster than our city bred pot bellies...
Axx

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:59 pm 

Talking about snakebites, I know a villager who was was bitten on his backside by a cobra while answering nature's call. Don't know how he survived it, but he's still around going out walking miles and miles.

Regards,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:38 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
a villager who was was bitten on his backside by a cobra while answering nature's call

Is the snake still with us?

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:40 am 

alexisgreenwood wrote:
while answering nature's call.

Regards,
Alexis

Well know some one with a similar experience, in the outhouse wrapped around matka of water a mama snake and baby ones wriggling around. need less to say kangroo jump through the door, streaked through the house , folks screaming ....scared.

Navdeep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:29 am 

There's a game 'watcher' works for orissa forest dept in Bhitarkanika mangroves, who was bitten on the nose by a King Cobra!
Being 8 hrs by boat and road from nearest hospital, he cut off the bite area (the tip) with his rusty pocket knife and branded himself-He' s alive many years later and we filmed him narrating his story, surgically modified nose et al!Amazing resilience, what a will to survive!
He's the only known survivor of a king cobra bite in India , in recorded history I was told...
DONT TRY THIS AT HOME,ALL STUNTS DONE BY TRAINED PROFESSIONALS :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:48 am 
Fishaholic

Reading this thread bought back a few memories of my last visit to the Cauvery.
We spent the first week of our stay bank fishing and saw dozens of snakes.
Walking along, we spotted a villager heading towards a hollow behind a pump-house to relieve himself. As we got closer, we spotted a very large unidentified snake of about 8 feet heading into the same hollow and as we got closer still, the villager came running bug eyed around the corner with a strange high stepping gait and his hands clutching his clothes together to try to retain some dignity. We asked him if there was a snake (of course we knew there was) and he got even more bug eyed and said “there were two !!!!” I can just imagine the poor sod squatting down and spotting a snake at a vital moment and keeping a very close eye on it when all of a sudden an 8 footer appears in his periferal vision.

In the second week, we met with some Bangalorian anglers who were camping for the weekend. At the end of their stay, I met one of them walking up the bank with his collapsed tent in his hands and a cooking pot on his head. He looked at this European standing in front of him and stood there telling me that the cooking pot was on his head as protection against king cobras, which were so big that they were most likely to strike downwards and bite their victims on the top of the head.

I still don’t know whether he actually believed that a cooking pot was his best line of defence, whether he thought that it’d be a bit of a laugh trying to get the three English guys to spend the rest of their stay with pots on their heads or whether I just caught him looking silly and he decided to make something up as he went along.

Personally, I’d love to think that he actually believed it. Just another crazy thing that people in the sub continent have told me is true in all sincerity but which is so wrong it’s funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:37 am 
Fishaholic

Must have been in malvalli Ken??
In all my years of fishing the Cauvery, i have come across just 3 snakes (thank God), two of them just strayed into camp because of the rain, and the 3rd was a tiny one that turned up under the sleeping bag while camped at the caves in Mekadatu.
The pot yarn is a howler mate !
Regards
Owen