->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum though I have joined it a few days back.
I had been going through all the topics and photo gallary and liked them very much.

I want to know whether it will be safe to buy angling stuff from cabelas.

Are there any dealers or retaillers selling angling goods except the three shops in Goa?

I have visited all the three shops in Goa during my year long stay there.

With regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Apoo,

I have been buying stuff from Cabelas since years and have never had any problem with them. They accept Indian Visa cards and their quality control is great. I generally order stuff online and pay for it using a credit card, then send it to a friend or relative in the US who carries the package down for me. I have never tried International shipping due to customs hassles and the expensive shipping rates.

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Bopanna,

Will there be any problem with the customs if I order online and take delivery at my address in assam. I dont have any friends to bring my stuff.

What kind of hassles are there with the customs? If you can give me some ideas it would be nice of you.

A few days back I had ordered a packet of plastic floats worth Rs.2000/- from Germany and there was no problem. But that was shipped to me via Airmail.

Actually I had already ordered a few things with cabelas and I am a bit worried now.

Any way thanks a lot for the information you had sent

Regards,
Apoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Apoo,

You will have to pay customs duties on the items you ask for. Rustam knows a whole deal more about this subject and will surely reply soon.

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Bopanna,

Thanks a lot. I will ask Rustam about the things.

I think I am in a mess.

Any way thanks again.

Regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:22 pm 
Fishaholic

apoo wrote:
I think I am in a mess.

Not really, Apoo.

You are legally entitled to import fishing tackle.

When I got into fishing last year, I had no choice but to order a rod, reel and tackle box from England. There were some other items but those were brought down by a friend from the U.S..

I had paid for airmail postage (the trackable kind) from England but it got sat on by Bombay customs first, followed by their counterparts in Bangalore. As I recall it took just over a month before I received the usual Show Cause notice from Bangalore Postal Customs. No need to panic if you do receive one. Basically, they will want to know your importer code number, how the payment was made, copy of invoice, etc.

At this point all you need to do is write to the person who has sent you the notice explaining that the items sent are for sporting purpose and for your own personal use and not for any commercial purpose and hence an importer code number is not required. Send this covering letter along with the relevant documents by Registered Acknowledged post. Within a week your local postie will either bring the parcel to your door and collect the duty and demerage (if applicable) or leave a note asking you to pick up the parcel from your local P.O., where you will need to pay the import duty and demerage (if applicable).

The import duty is 17.5%

Sometimes they will insist that you meet them in person. This is just to squeeze some money out of you. They start at Rs.500/- here but you can haggle it down to 1/5th. :mrgreen: First send the letter and documents and only visit them if they call you.

I will try and find a copy of one of my covering letters and will post it here shortly.

Hope this helps.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Rustam,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I was quite worried about it.

I never thought this kind of transactions will bring the customs people to me.

Anyway thanks a lot again for the advice.

With regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Apoo,

Couldn't find a covering letter for the fishing stuff but here's another that will give you a rough idea of how it's done. In this instance I was sent a CALL MEMO (whatever in hell that is) rather than the usual SHOW CALL NOTICE. The wordings are the same though.

21 December, 2005.

Assistant Commissioner of Customs,
Postal Appraising Department,
Museum Road,
Bangalore – 560025.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Sub.: Foreign Post Parcel No. 11060.

My friend, Mr. Nahaar N. Sayeed, and I are both keen target shooters belonging to the Karnataka State Rifle Association (K.S.R.A.)

The items enclosed in Parcel No. 11060 are accessories required for target shooting and maintenance and are not available in India. Hence, we placed a joint order with a shop in the U.S.. Placing a joint order helped us save on overseas postage.

All the items in the parcel are for our own personal use and not for any commercial purpose.

Enclosed please find the following:

1)Photocopy of my K.S.R.A. membership card.
2)Photocopies of some of my target shooting certificates.
3)Photocopy of invoice.
4)Letter from Mr. Nahaar N. Sayeed confirming that half the contents of the parcel are for his own personal use, along with a photocopy of his K.S.R.A. membership card.
5)Photocopy of the CALL MEMO issued to me.

I trust you will find the above information to your satisfaction and will let me have the parcel at your earliest possible convenience.

If you should like to hear me out in person, I can make myself available.

Thanking you.

Yours sincerely,

Rustam H. Bana

Encl.: As mentioned above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Rustam,

Thanks for the sample copy of the letter you had sent to the customs people.

But I dont have any credentials to show those guys like the one you have sent as certificates and all.

Let me wait and see what they want? Me, papers or money?

One more thing I would like to inform you that you dont have to say "yours sincerely" to me as I think you are elder to me.

With regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Rustam,

I made a mistake reading your sample letter to the customs. Actually the words "yours sincerely" was written to them and not me.

I am sorry.

With regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
But I dont have any credentials to show those guys like the one you have sent as certificates and all.

Neither did I for the fishing related parcel. Well, apart from my WASI membership card. I had asked a certain WASI committee member to give me a letter of recomendation but since he did not pull his finger out in time, I went ahead without it.

If you are still uncertain, give me a call (080-25482267) or e-mail me a scanned copy of the notice and I will draft the letter for you.

Quote:
One more thing I would like to inform you that you dont have to say "yours sincerely" to me as I think you are elder to me.

Actually, that was meant for the bandicoots at Postal Customs. :mrgreen:

Rustam

P.S.: Just for your information, I happen to be 17. :wink: I wish... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Rustam,

Thanks a lot. You have given me a lot of support.

I will let you know about the developments as soon as i receive any letters from them.

Anyway I will be in touch.

With regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Apoo,

All the best for your parcel. Let us know when it reaches you so that we will all know how long it takes Cabelas to send stuff here.

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:08 pm 
Fishaholic

No probs, Apoo and for God's sake don't be so formal!

As Bops said, let us know how it goes. Preferably with details in chronological order as it will help others in future.

All the best.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Does one has to go through all these hassles if somebody send gifts from abroad. Is custom duty will be same in that case :?:

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Last year we ordered some Power Pro, split rings and a pair of split ring pliers. They were ordered from Cabelas. After roughly 2 weeks we received a SHOW CALL NOTICE! Not knowing what to do we went straight to the Museum Road Post office and met the officer in charge. It happened to be a rather bored looking lady who sits at the top floor of this building.
The reason our package was held up was because the invoice said "SILVER" split rings :lol: :lol: .
Realising that there was no point trying to prove the postal dept. were an ignorant bunch of %^^*&$$, we spent the next 15mins talking about fishing, mono line, tourism, bad traffic, the weather etc....
In return for providing free entertainment our SHOW CALL/CAUSE NOTICE was stamped and we were told we'd receive the package from the postman. Sure enough a couple of days later we had our package.

Now I wouldn't advise going down the path we went :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:38 pm 

Good thing i've ordered them in black!
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Was the forum upside this morning or am I losing it ? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi MM,

Take a look at the forum rules - anouncement topic. I had to change the layout back to the old one.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Resorting to censorship are we? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

I could restore the post order if you like.... I prefer new posts first!

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank god for that! If someone who's not following the thread reads it they won't make out what's happening. I guess we're all used to reading from the top of the page to the bottom and not the other way.

Good to see its back.

What's this tool bar for Bops?

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Oi Stop playing.. I am getting confused... did ya edit your post Rustam :?

Inder

Last edited by kanwar76 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi MM,

If you mean the image shack toolbar, it's meant for direct posting of images on the forum using a link from Imageshack. That way we won't have to log into photobucket everytime. We just paste the img link over here in the post.

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:58 am 
Fishaholic

Dear Bopanna, Rustam

Yesterday I tracked my shipment with ups and the tracking result is as follows:

Shipped to: GUWAHATI, IN
Shipped or Billed on: 07/18/2006

Tracking Number: 1Z 8AE 814 67 5085 532 1
Service Type: EXPEDITED
Weight: 1.90 Lbs

Package Progress:
Location Date Local Time Activity
MUMBAI, IN 07/24/2006 3:06 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
MUMBAI, IN 07/23/2006 1:46 A.M. IMPORT SCAN
CHEK LAP KOK, HK 07/21/2006 1:15 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
ANCHORAGE, AK, US 07/20/2006 10:39 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
ANCHORAGE, AK, US 07/19/2006 10:25 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LOUISVILLE, KY, US 07/19/2006 7:21 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/19/2006 8:58 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
HODGKINS, IN, US 07/19/2006 3:22 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/19/2006 2:55 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
OAK CREEK, WI, US 07/19/2006 12:36 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
OAK CREEK, WI, US 07/18/2006 10:04 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 07/18/2006 12:16 P.M. BILLING
INFORMATION
RECEIVED

Since the import scan is being done and the same had been sent out for delivery, does it mean that the customs check had been done with or it is still to be done.

I want to know whether the people from the postal customs are from the customs deptt. or the postal deptt.

I will let you all know the details of this shipment whenever some new matters comes out.

With regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

It appears the customs scan has been done in Bombay and it is now on it's way to the Guwahati postal customs office. After this there are three alternatives:

1) Guwahati Postal Customs (GPC) will release it to your local P.O. without sending you a show cause notice.

2) GPC will send you a Show Cause Notice or Call Memo without delay.

3) GPC will take their own sweet time to send you a Show Cause Notice or Call Memo.

Quote:
I want to know whether the people from the postal customs are from the customs deptt. or the postal deptt.

Good question but I am afraid I don't have the answer.

Good luck!

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:05 am 
Fishaholic

Tahnks Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi everyone,

Today when I checked the ups site to check my stuff, it showed the my destination is a far off place where deliveries are not made everyday. This report was showing from 24th of this month. So I called up ups Kolkata and gat a toll free number from them. When I called up that number, a lady picked up the phone (may be a call centre) and asked my ups invoice no. I gave her my number and immediately she told me that the stuff would be delivered today by DTDC courier. I went to the courier office to collect the stuff. I was a little bit worried as I thought I would have to pay a lot of import duty. Two cardboard boxes were there. I had to pay only Rs.503.00 (five hundred and three rupees) as import duty for one box only. The other box did not claim any import duty.

For usd154.21 I had to pay only Rs.503.00.

From the documents, it seems the parcels landed at Sahar International Airport and the duty was calculated there only. From there the ups people handed over the parcels to DTDC people and after that it reached Guwahati.

It is so funny that the ups site is still showing the same report as shown earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

I forgot to mention that those boxes came from Cabelas, USA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Yipppeeeee.... :mrgreen:

Have fun!

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Apoo,

What delivery method did you opt for?

10 days is pretty good going. I am just wondering if you paid an arm and a leg for it.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Apoo,

That's great news! Hope you have a nice time with your new tackle. It would be great if you could let us know which shipping method you used?

Also out of the USD 154.21 that you spent, how much was for the tackle and how much for the shipping?

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:33 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam and Bopanna,
The type of shipping was expedited. Rustam you are right. I have not only paid an arm and a leg but also my wallet. With the amount I have spent I could have got a good spinning reel from India.

I paid $84.21 for the stuff and $70 for the shipment. Actually what the cabelas people do was send two cartons from different places from the States. That was the reason I had to pay $35 more. All the stuff could have come in one box only.I knew the amount was huge, since I have nobody to send my stuff there in the states, I had no options but to pay for the shipment.

Actually I could have waited and bought spinning materials from India only. But my staff consists of fly fishing materials which were costly and there were no suppliers for them. Like the Cabelas Prestige Plus Fly Line, Fly Line Backing, Loopless Leaders, Fly Box etc. The rest were small things like the two Mepps, Snag Master etc. There is a shop in Srinagar who cuts the throat of his customers instead of selling the stuff. The fly line he sells cost 11,000/- whereas I got it at $21 plus shipment.

For a few days I will stay away from the online shops.

I had ordered for a hip and chest bag from Orvis. It has not come yet.

I have also ordered a chest wader from Korea and a few things like the plano tacklt box and a rapala fillet knife. It was supposed to reach Guwahati within 15 days and till now it is 1month and 10 days and I have not seen the things. The supplier is that Rehan Rafiq from Mumbai. That was the reason I had written that anybody who wants to order from that paeson should call me first. He is telling me a lot of stories regarding the shipment. God knows what he is doing with my money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys

I have been ordering stuff from Cabelas for the last one year and have never been charged a single penny for all the stuff i have ordered

Just to give you an indication these are a FEW of the things that i have ordered and got within 4 days flat in Mumbai and with NO DUTY till date .

I dont know what im doing right or whether the customs guys think Fred is the name of some blonde haired , big busted Miss world ... but let me tell you what i have done.

1) 4 cabelas Life vests
2) 2 Shakespeare 8 ft boat rods
3) 2 Penn Spinfisher 8500 s reels / 2 abu garcia level winds / 2 penn riptide reels
4) 60 - 70 Storm Deepthunder lures
5) 30 rapala magnums / 12 berkley minnows
6) Loads of terminal tackle from split rings to swivels to leaders etc
7) Crimpers, Plyers , Filet knives ,
8) 3 Browning knives
9) 3 Buck Alpha Knives
10) 2 fish grip and weigh
11) 3 Spot lights

and much more stuff that i cannot remember right now

What i do is that I make sure that the amount does not go beyond USD 150 per shipment , I also take care that I order a lot of crap ( things that are plastic like lures wire etc and add a reel ,or something ) that is of value. If i need to order something more i make it after a week even if i have to pay the 35 USD again , it worth it rather than fill up some Customs guys pocket

I also make sure that the stuff is dilivered to my office address not residence . The customs guys get a cut of the duty levied and it is always more difficult to scare organisations than individuals and i think that the reason they lay of office addresses .

The order takes 4- 5 days to reach so i make sure that the dilivery will be on a monday in Mumbai . Customs are closed over the weekend and the monday load makes the consignment just go through because of the Monday workload . Also getting the stuff collected in the Major metros helps as the guys are more in synch with reality and it just goes through the system . My advise get the stuff dilivered in Mumbai to a friend and then couriered locally to say Bangalore etc ..

This has been my experince with online as and it has never failed me as apart from Tackle I also order a lot of stuff for my big bike riding and stuff for my Honda ST 1300 ..

Maybe U should try giving it a shot ..... unlesss like i said earlier ,, the guys really think im some blonde haired , big busted Miss world

Tight Lines

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Fred,

Thanks for all the info. How well do the Storm Deepthunder lures work for inshore fishing here in India?

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops

Well Im an out an out Storm man ... if they had a Vodka by that name i would stock up on that too ... The cobia was on a storm Deep thunder Blue Mackerel . Well to answer your question ,, ive used the storm in the river at Vijay durg and its caught barracuda, red snapper , estuarine cod , and of course loads of barra ,

They come in 2 sizes and in 2 depth variants

Sizes are 4 " and 6 " and fish depths 4--- 7 ft in one model and and 12 - 30 ft in the other , I prefer the deep diver 25- 30 ft as the fish im after are usaully around that depth and also the bigger lures get the bigger fish .

Colors I prefer are the white redheads ,blue mackerel n green mackerel
I fish them depending on the water im in .

Lemme know if you would like to try out one ... Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info again!

I'm curious to know whether Barramundi can be caught from the bank using heavy spinning gear, around Vijay Durg? If so what would be the best plugs to use in this case?

Thanks for the offer on the lure. I go trolling out with some friends in Chennai and we were wondering how deep our lures would have to go to be effective for King mackerel and GT.

Cheers
Bops

Post subject: Appoo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:05 am 

Hi Appoo,
I was in Guwahati a couple of months ago and saw the brahmaputra from a hotel near the governor's house...very impressive.Do you fish on the brahmaputra? what are the fish there ?
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:06 am 
Fishaholic

Dear Axx,

It seems that you had been to ghy and went to Hotel Belle View. It is such a good spot to go for angling but I have not tried it yet. I go and watch the sunset from that area quite a few times. There I had seen a guy landing a 4 - 5kg Borali fish ( I dont know the english name). But the best place to fish is few kilometers upstream. Still now I have not tried it at river brahmaputra. All the time the Bangladeshis use those nets and those ferries use to move around in those places. The tributories are a better option. The kinds of fishes available are the rohu, borali, chital etc.

So you had been to Ghy. Tell me more about your trip to Ghy. You must have gone to shillong also. There is a lake (Umiam Lake) where most of the anglers from shillong go for angling.

The best places to go for fishing is near the Arunachal Border at Bhalokpung. In Arunachal it is Tipi, Tezu etc. There also I have not tried my rod and reel.

Actually whenever I go out these days, my Langoti ( my fiance) is with me and somehow I cant persuade her to come along with me for angling. And I cant leave her at those places.

With regards,
Apoo

Post subject: belleview
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:25 pm 

Thanks Apoo,
Had come to GNRC to conduct a 5 day training program.
We were overwhelmed by the warmth and hospitality.Went out for typical assamese food a couple of times, saw the River finally on the day before we left-we were busy the other days and could not get free before 8-9 pm.Stayed at a hotel in christian basti-forget the name just now.Now that I'm into fishing, I will carry rod and reel if i ever come back...Please do keep us informed about how your halco lures etc perform
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Asif,

I think you had stayed in Pragati Manor. Anyway it is nice to hear from some outsider that they liked Guwahati. Right from the airport you must have seen a lot of water bodies. There also ther are a lot of fishes. But I havent tried there also.

Regarding the halco lures, I have not tried it yet. Didnt get the time. I wont be fishing this year as I am busy with the construction work and since I am getting married by the end of Oct this year, I dont know whether I would be able to go out to fish soon. My fiancee does not like my hobby at all. So, all you have to do is buy a few halco lures and try it yourself and let me know about it.

Regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 am 

Congrats in your staus change Apoo-looks like you landed yourself a big catch!
there's a post of mine asking-"what will you tell your wife/partner when you go out fishing" hope you can learn fishy sounding excuses from the rest of the gang there?
Looks like its time you got yourself a 3-4 pc travel rod for low profile fishing :wink: :wink:
yes it was Pragati Manor.
best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Asif,

You are married. Are you not? What did you tell your wife? if not what are your plans? Let me hear it from you first.

Look, I wont use a 3-4 pc rod after my marriage. What I will do is keep my kit in my friends house or in the office. At times I will have a extra marital affair with the kit and the fishes.

My fiancee always calls the fishing kit "Sautan".

Hey Doc where were you yesterday? Might have gone for fishing.

Regards,
Apoo