->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Everyone,

I have been hearing from a lot of folks that, a lost fish takes the entire shoal away. But I never thought was true. Last Sunday, the high tide was at about 07:00 AM and it was Giant Trevally time (expected) by about 08:30 AM till 10:30 AM. The GTs congregate close to the mouth of a small harbour in Chennai with a narrow mouth where the mullets are flushed out during the ebb, and this happens particularly during the spring tides and when the ebb happens during early morning with fast current flow (during new moon and full moon).

I was there at the harbout at 08:30 AM and saw these guys crashing Mullets on the surface. They were very aggressive this time as the mullet population was relatively less (But still a lot). Yes, I was lucky enough to get these guys behing my popper (Halco 1.5 ounce Roosta Popper in golden colour). Last time (previous trip, but this was sight casting) I pulled the hooks out of the fish and hence had replaced the tail hook with 8/0 Gamakatsu O'Shaughnessy Hook. I was so happy when I saw a GT trying to eat my popper right at the bottom of my foot (but reeled in completely, and had to take the lure out of the water).

However, I had a strong hit (probably a 30 pounder) in a few casts and I put my thumb on the spool and set the hook. Now it was time for the battle. My rod bent like an arch and the reel was screaming with a tight drag. He was running along the sharp rock edges forming the harbour arm (locals tell that is how a GT runs) and after five minutes or so .....snap...... He got away breaking clinch knot of the 50 pound test shock leader that was tied to the breackaway clip (should have used pliers for tightening the knot).

Right from that point, the place that was burning with hungry Giant Trevallies looked dead. He took the entire shoal behind him. Looks like they will take poppers, when there are less mullets (atleast for my presentation as a beginner).

Thanks,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Better luck next time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the "Frustrated GT Anglers list"

Yours is not an uncommon story, I know so many guys who moan about this, a hookup with a GT is one thing, landing it is another.

I have a friend who always lost a big GT lure and all, they managed to cut him off always, we are talking of large unstoppable ones where you just have to wait.

Then one day I landed one of these monsters and he when up to that fish stood over it and did a dance :lol:

True story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Use a Wire leader, this helps, I have fished for GT in Andamans and in Srilanka with a wire leader never failed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Derek,

How long a wire leader were you using ?

I am assuming most of the breakoffs happen, when a GT heads for the reef.
Breakoffs could happen anywhere along the line, right ?

thanks

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Using a wire leader v/s mono is a bit of chicken and egg.

While a long wire leader will help prevent you getting cut off over jagged terrain in will reduce your strike rate at the same time.

It is a matter of personal preference, I have moved from wire to mono and the likes a long time ago.

I know of people using 5' long wire traces and still getting cut while fishing for large GT's.

Experiment a bit buys, perhaps you may like wire, there is not hard and fast rule here.

While I do not credit a fish with much intelligence, I have been trying to catch a couple of fish in my reef tank using a hook, a clown and a damsel they are killing my corals. I cannot catch them with a net because of the live rock and corals in the tank which provides them with far too many places to hide. And I cannot afford to move the rock and corals as it will disrupt the ecology of the tank.

It is unbelievable how suspicious these guys are of a baited hook even though I have baited the hook with the food I feed them daily, so far I have tried for two days, to no avail, hope I am successful today. They seem to be very wary of the metal hook I can see through the tank glass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Do you have some pics of your tank, I would like to have a look. By the way, what size are those fish that you are trying to catch?

Thanks,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

It's a small 50 Gallon tank mate..

Will be building a 300 - 400 gal tank shortly just need to think a way to get the exhaust from the chiller out of the house without making it look ugly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:48 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

It is getting better these days. Today I went there and the sea was calm without any GT action. I was working my popper like pop,pop,pop....pause....pop,pop,pop with very short but very sharp rod twitches similar to walk the dog retrieve and ...Bang... a huge monster hits my popper but I missed the hook up.

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:59 am 
Fishaholic

flyfisher wrote:
Hi Derek,

How long a wire leader were you using ?

I am assuming most of the breakoffs happen, when a GT heads for the reef.
Breakoffs could happen anywhere along the line, right ?

thanks

Makarand

I use a 12 Inch Leader, 45 Lbs breaking strain on a 60 LBs braided

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Maruthu

Since you are fishing topwater baits in an area where snags are few, I suggest you use a couple of teaser hooks attached to the rear hook ring. You will probably not miss hookups anymore.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Flying hooks or teaser hooks are a great way to ensure hook ups when fish are biting shy. Basically you are ensuring the hook goes into their mouth when they bite the lure. From what i have seen it is better to have a flying hook that is a few sizes smaller than the front hooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:24 am 
Fishaholic

Hi guys,

what are flying hooks & teaser hooks ??? Pics plss if possible.

met Dean in goa this weekend.. had some gr8 fun trying for some MJ & Bara.. and discovered a hot place with him that will produce thousands of bites .. right Dean..??? :twisted: :twisted: .. really nasty bites .. and that too by ladies :twisted: :twisted:

I used shads & got some bites, but no hook-ups.. (maybe the fish were just going in for the tail) i guess the flying hooks or teaser hook should get some +ve results... also got a rapala red head crushed by some fish.. no idea what it was.. :cry: :cry: .. BTW, the cats were too generous...

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,

like we have come across numerous times in various threads.........

"support your local hookers"

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
discovered a hot place with him that will produce thousands of bites .. right Dean..??? :twisted: :twisted: .. really nasty bites .. and that too by ladies :twisted: :twisted:Santosh

Is that what you guys are calling Mosquitoes these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Is that what you guys are calling Mosquitoes these days?

:lol: :lol: Yes Bobby.. it was really bad we even could not open our mouths to speak.. :cry: .... as a desperate measure we even applied a big coat of sun screen lotion.. got bitten every where.. just to see how many were biting, I put the torch on my hands and saw mim. 50 on each hand having a feast :shock: .. we literally had to run .. trust me we were getting bitten even while running.. :cry: :cry:

But, if one could handle those Mosquitoes, the spot will produce good MJ's and barra..

Hey Keyur, tell me when in Goa.. i'll guide u there.. good place to support ur local hookers.. :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:54 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Santosh ... looks like Deano and you had a good time .... the guys a real explorer ... the last time we met in durg he took young Shaun on a trek that was at least 4 kms each way just to fish ... I had to xxl my trip to Durg over the long weekend at the last minute hence did not return your PM .. sorry about that .... work beckoned and i just coudnt get away .. First the CWC and then this Lungi FM and the free falling $ .... may be leaving from 10th to 13th .. last chance before the water turns rough .. ill give you a call .. keep yourself Free

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi fred, .. No probs dude.. I can understand ur situation with USD coz i m too on the same side of the fence.. did 1 months forwards at 41.64 yesterday.

The guy is gr8. it was nice of Dean.. had good fun..

BTW, I hv seen an old post abt dead groupers, saw a big one near fort Agauda.. must hv been min. 25 to 30 Lbs.

Santosh