->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Everyone,

I have decided to buy a castnet to catch some mullets and fish them from the harbour wall. I initially thought that cast net was not easy to use from the harbour wall full of rocks, but there is an inlet at about 20 minutes drive from the harbour.

I think it should be easy to get some mullets from the inlet area and transport them to the harbour and fish them. I have a constraint: I do not own a four wheeler and have to carry the bait using my motor bike. So, I have to make some arrangements in my bike to carry the live bait. And also have to get some plastic container that has a rectagular base and some battery powered aerater.

Now my question is, what should be a decent sized (l" x b" x h") container that will keep mullets alive and very much active for about 4 to 6 hours provided I need to keep about 6 mullets about 5" to 8" in size.

Based on the input, I had to give the specification (dimension) for a metal carrier to be custom made, that can be placed in my bike temporarily while I go fishing.

Thanks,
Lure Fisherman (thinking live bait)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:04 pm 
Fishaholic

I think heat is a bigger killer than anything else. We used to carry minnows in a 'gadda' or 'mutka'. This would ensure the water remained cool and it even aired it a bit, though we changed the water every one hour.

Try a test run with this set up. It will be cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

LF

You will need one of these else the Mullet will not survive.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0002141

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

Ideally, you need a bucket that you can keep submerged in the water, this bucket would need to float and have water flow through it. It would eliminate the need for an aerator and any temperature issues. I had thought up this idea but gave it up as I moved to lures full time. Incidentally the job of the aerator is not to oxygenate the water but to release the carbon dioxide from the water by stiring it up.

You modify a bucket with a lid and a clip so that the bucket is securely shut, tie some Styrofoam around it at the top so it would float. You could drill holes (ideak size) in that bucket for water to flow through. Nylon secures the handle.

Put the live mullets into the bucket and lower it into the water besides where you are fishing, the water will fill in by it’s self, styrofaom will keep it afloat.

You will have to figure a way to take the mullets to the place you are fishing by yourself.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

We use the same set up in Durg that Bob has mentioned .. large plastic pail or jar with a scrwed down cap .. holes in the sides ... stone in the jar to hold it steady and down ... long nylon rope to hold it to the required depth ... transporting the mullets .... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks everyone for the inptus, actually the professional fishermen in the harbour use the similar kind of setup to keep live shrimp alive. Last week they had a small mangroove jack and a very small grouper alive using similar setup. I think that should be effective for mullets too, but I need to transport them to the harbour which is a 20 minutes drive from the inlet. I have bought a battery powered aerater and made a small hole in the lid of a plastic container that is about 12" x 8" x 8" size.

But I thought of making a provision in my bike to carry the container that was of right size to carry about 6 mullets in 5" to 8" in size. So, I shall tie this one with a rope or something and do some experiments and after finding the right size container I shall make an order for the carrier that can be used temporarily in my bike for easy transportation.

Thanks,
LF