->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: leader vs main line
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

What should be the strength of the leader / hook length viz a viz the main line - stronger, same or slightly less ? The argument put forth for a slightly weaker leader is that if the hook snags one can get away with a broken leader instead of losing a length of expensive main line. Any comments ?
Of course this would not apply for heavy casting where shock leaders are recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

My leader is always stronger than the main line.

Almost everytime the line will snap at the Knot where the line and leader join if there are no nicks, and the nicks in the line will be closest to the leader.

The probability that the line snaps somewhere in the middle or towards you are very slim indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:24 am 
Fishaholic

For most lure fishing (with the exception of ultralight fishing where I might use a very light wire leader in Europe), I'm with Bobby.

The only usual reason for using a fine leader (lighter than the mainline) is in coarse fishing applications where you want to use a very light "hooklength" to fool the fish but still have a stronger mainline for casting and or getting your tackle back if a fish should break the light leader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:51 am 
Fishaholic

What is a Leader? -
how do you attach it to the main line ?
what kind of fish is it used for?
Is it best for running water or lakes?

Answers please - :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:37 pm 
Fishaholic

FISHING LEADERS

Using a Leader
Leaders. Some people swear by them; others swear at them. Freshwater anglers rarely use them. Kingfish, bluefish and mackerel demand their use because of the sharp teeth. But, are they really necessary on other types of fish? I want to talk about leaders in general.
Why Use One
Let’s look at the several possible scenarios given the types of leaders each of us used. On my rod, the leader is there to prevent a fish from chewing or cutting the line with their mouth. I use a surgeon’s knot to join the leader to the line. If I hang up, I loose my hook, or in this case jig head. It takes literally about two minutes to tie on another leader and jig head. What I lost was only a jig head.
When one used no leader at all. The loss to him if his line breaks is the same as mine – one jig head - and the re-rigging time is faster. But the probability of his line being cut by a fish or a rock is much higher. Hence, I caught more fish than he did.
Fishing in and around rocks with this type of leader gets expensive .
Which One is the Right One?
Heavy Leaders
Lots of anglers use a very heavy leader for larger fish. Our grouper in the reef would have been lost if we had used a lighter leader. The heavy leader helps prevent cutoffs from fish and structure. It also helps in landing or bringing a hooked fish aboard.
Heavy Line
Some anglers use very heavy fishing line and a leader that is heavy enough for the fish, yet substantially lighter than their line. If they hang on the bottom, the leader should break before the line, thus saving their sinker. Re-tying again becomes relatively easy.
Wire Leaders
Wire leaders present another challenge. They are difficult and time consuming to build, even with some of the magic wire wrapping tools. They kink easily and must be replaced when those kinks appear. Multiple fish can be caught on one leader, but not very often. That one kink puts a weak spot in the leader that will surely break on the next fish.
With king mackerel, bluefish, and other sharp-toothed fish, a wire leader is almost a necessity. Not many toothy fish are caught on a monofilament leader.
Be Prepared
Given the difficulty tying them, it makes sense to tie up a supply of them prior to heading out. I use those days when the weather is bad to my advantage and tie up a number of wire leaders. I keep them in small plastic zipper lock bags, and they last indefinitely if they are kept dry.
Bottom Line
A good leader, one appropriate for the fish being sought, can mean the difference between a full ice chest and an empty one. Common sense defines the word appropriate here. Don’t use an 80-pound test leader on eight-pound test line!
A Good Rule
The rule of thumb I go by is to use a leader roughly two and a half times your line strength. If you are using light tackle with eight-pound test line, a leader in the 20 to 25 pound test range will work well. A larger leader becomes bulky and tends to spook the fish. I go with this – small fish, small leader; large fish – large or small leader, depending on your preference. Light tackle anglers with light leaders have successfully caught some very large fish. In all cases, I leave the store-bought pre-made leaders where I think they belong – in the store! What you catch has a direct correlation with what’s in your leader. Believe it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:37 pm 
Enlightened

Back in the UK I used a leader when plugging for sea bass and beach casting.

For lure fishing for bass I used either a 9 or 10 foot spinning rod and 30lb braided line.
Very, very thin line.
If I tried to break the braid with my rod it would shatter in my hands.
Always use a thick glove if you are snagged with braid.
It will cut you very badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can cast a long way with an 18grm Yo-Zuri surface lure.
I used a 3 foot length of 20lb mono as a cushion against the fish.
Braid has no stretch, so my rods had some flex in the tip and the mono gave some extra protection by stretching.
Also in case a bass rolled on the line, it wouldn't pop the braid.
Sea bass have very sharp spines and gill plates!
You can also lift the fish out if you grab the leader.

A leader for beach casting should be 10lb per oz.
6oz lead=60lb leader.
The leader is something like 30ft long.
A 5-6 foot drop from rod tip to weight plus at least 3 wraps of leader around your spool.
If you are using a multiplier with a level wind the knot might jam in the level wind when casting.
A tapered leader could help this problem.

Although if you are casting close in (30-40yrds) you can use 15~18lb line and a 3oz lead and not get a snap off if you cast gently.

In freshwater lure fishing I used a wire leader because of pike.
Ultra light spin~6-10inch 10~15lb wire.
Medium spin 12inch 20~30lb wire.
Heavy plugs and light jerks 40~60lb 12 inch wire.
The medium and heavy wire was when I was after pike.
The heavy wire would be made out of titanium!
Expensive if you lose it in a snag, but it lasts many, many fish!
On the ultra light I would be after chub, perch, trout. But I never knew
if a pike would strike. Play it safe!!!

I think the thing to think about is what fish are you after?
How heavy is the tackle you are casting?
What is the under water structure like?

Only my two pence worth.

Sorry to bore.

YB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey YB!

You didn't bore. That was very informative. And this is the kind of stuff we hang around here for.

thanks mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:02 am 
Enlightened

Thank you Sir Mahaseerken!

I hope I spelled your name right my friend!

0325 here.

I must go to bed soon.

I've got to to teach tomorrow!
Drunk too much much beer and wine.
My lass still lives with her parents, she's 31, I'm 30.
If any of you guys know of any places for me to teach in India I would be very happy to come.

I'll bring my lass with me.
She would love it.

Big respect to you all.

JC aka YB,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:59 am 
Fishaholic

Two paise from here, too!

Mahseer spinning leader: 2' of either fluorocarbon or heavy mono, a Sampo 'Staylok' snap or a good Duolock at one end and a Spro power swivel at the other.

For something like the Ramganga (its not a big river), I use 20lb FC, 50lb Spro power swivel (it's really tiny but tested at 55lbs on a Salter scale) and a 1/2" duolock on a 15lb mono mainline in low water times (Nov- May). In high water times (late Sep, Oct end), 30lb FC and 3/4" snap to a 20lb mono mainline.

For the Sarju, Kali, Ganga- Sampo Staylok, 35lb FC, 80lb Spro PS.
This above for spinning.

I use a leader because in mountain waters fish go all over the place, especially into and around rocks. The first yard or so take a heck of a bashing. A very good friend uses a 4' leader. Also, the thicker leader prevents scales from getting ripped off- when a fish twists and turns, theres no telling what the line will do- usually gets under scales, gill covers and causes damage.
I never use braid line on mahseer.

One might need to lengthen the leader if fishing in saltwater, I should imagine..............

Cheers

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:21 pm 
Enlightened

Regarding leaders for tropical shore spinning.

Got to;

MikeLadle.com

A very interesting website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:27 pm 

hi YB...jus read yr last msg...what do u wan to teach??