->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:13 pm 
Fishaholic

I dropped my lamiglas conventional rod on a cemented floor and find that there are a couple of guide rings that are cracked. I was told that I can replace the guides myself, but I think if some one who knows and does rod building does the job will be better. I can buy all the stuff like the same quality fuji guides or fuji SiC guides, wrapping threads and stuff. Please let me know if anyone you know will repair rods (Guide Replacement), and how much would they charge me.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

LF, do it yourself mate. I have tied and untied guides several times.

The glue I use is Araldite, it is easy to find and every hardware store in India should have it. You can even use normal cotton thread if you cannot get your hands on binding thread.

I have done this so many times and never had a problem, the finish is also very professional.

Infact I just did one a few months ago, the maid Opened and closed the storeroom door and two of my rodtips got smashed in between the the door hinges.

So I had to cut a bit of the rod and reset some of the guides.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't use Araldite or Superglue !

For tip rings, just warm the metal sleave with a lighter (take care not to directly heat the carbon) and slip off the old ring with a towel to protect you from the heat. Use hot melt glue to secure a new ring in place and you're good to go.
If you use Araldite, you can't remove the ring next time you break it and you'll have to cut the blank to fit a new one !

For intermediate rings, I usually carry a few single leg guides for emergency repairs whilst travelling. Just cut the whipping on the top foot of the broken guide (cut over the foot rather than the blank to avoid damage) and remove the whipping. Then pull the old guide out with pliers (you might need a bit of wiggling) before doing a temporary fix by sliding a single leg guide into the remaining whipping and securing it with a dab of glue or nail varnish.

For more permanent repairs, you can do it yourself by buying matching guides and threads over the net (remember to use proper thread or the lint will mess up the finish on your epoxy or varnish coating and don't forget that the thread will darken considerably when coated) but for valuble rods, leave it to an expert - it's riduculously expensive in the UK, so I have my rods re-built in Singapore or Malaysia where a quality service can be had at a reasonable price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby and Ken L,

You guys gave me confidence along with the info. But that rod is expensive for me, so I prefer some expert in India to do the job at a reasonable price than me doing it, as it will not destory the beauty of the rod. If I can't find any one then I shall give it a go. Anyway, Life is a lesson....

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

Ken is right, Araldide is a permanent job. Was suggested as it is easy to find, you can use one part resin only.

If you can wait, and get your hands on all the stuff that Ken has suggested then go with his suggestion.

When I fixed my rods I did not have all the materials readly available.

All the best with the Rod mate..

Regards,

Bobby