->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Noels Pepsi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:53 am 
Fishaholic

I have posted this here so that Bobee does not SHOUT himself hoarse..

Hi Makarand,

My lures are back in India, perhaps Fred can post a picture of the one he has.

It is a very simple Lure to make, take a Aluminum pipe, Diameter - what you would like. Cut the pipe into 4 or 5” lengths, the length of the lure is up to you.

flatten one end completely drill a hole in the flattened end, this is for the split ring to fit into for the hooks.

Melt some led, pour the molten stuff into the pipe, again how much led depends upon how heavy you want the lure to be.

When done, fill the rest of the lure with Styrofoam or Styrofoam balls (sold as confetti).

Then flatten the other end perpendicular to the one that you flattened earlier.

Drill another hold in this end as well for the split ring. We used to put trebles at both ends on our spoons and lures like this one.

It is a dead simple lure.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:40 am 

Thanks Bobster,
Another weekend project-now where's that 1/4 " copper pipe i used to use for vhf antenna projects :0??
Will try a smaller variation -say 2 " max, with some loose lead shot in it to add to the rattle...hey, I know all you salty's ay size matters-sure it does, to us marral types too!
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:24 am 
Fishaholic

Asif ... dont use copper mate ,, the pipie will crack at the edges when u beat the pipe down ... use the wifes aluminium curtain rod .... its perfect :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ... thats the best as the pipe does not split at the end once you beat it down :wink: :wink: .. the idea of the leadshot a good idea ... will help with the casting ... word of advise ... close the bail arm as soon as the pepsi hits the water and start retrieving ..... the bloody thing just goes through the water like a bullet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:35 am 
Fishaholic

And that is why it will not be a good lure for Murral I think...

But should work great on any fish that takes poppers..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:57 pm 
Fishaholic

This is not the Pepsi, I leave Fred to post it..

But since we are on the topic of Home Made Lures this is one I managed to find here with me in Hong Kong. Rest are all in Bombay..

I made a few of these and some other minnow type lures, they work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bob! are those made of wood or what mate ? They dont have a lip on them ??
Please explain what you mean by poppers as i really haven't a clue. Probably have some stored away and don't know what they are called. Better still post a picture of one.
I have a few homemade plugs, but have never got around to using them.
Problem is i have never had the confidence that they will work on the Kaveri.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Popper - You kidding me or something? I don't have a picture of this lure the Pepsi and all the originals are in India.

Fred seems to have one I had made with/for Noel.

The Lure in the picture above is made of Pine, and the tricky bit is running the stainless steel wire right through the lure in 1 piece.

There is no lip and the forehead of the lure is plained as it is at an angle which eliminates the need for a lip.

I have drilled holes at the bottom and filled them with lead to get them to sink a bit and balance.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

No Bob dead serious. All that we pop in the Kaveri are ragi balls :lol:

Yes i can see those tiny holes drilled in the plug. How do you get that wire in there? Cut away a section of the wood and re-glue it ? Or run the wire through a hole and then curl the wire ?
You can make a pretty good plug with thermocole and balance it with lead, then run some 80lb mono through it or even wire. Insert an aluminum sheet lip on the mother and paint it as required. Coat the whole thing with araldite.

I picked up a 9" blue and silver lure from Colombo some time back just on a whim. Looks like a mackrel, what would one use it to catch Bob ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

The poppers was what I was discussing with LF on the post he had made about the GT's.

About the wire, I had bought very specialized drills and used to drill the holes through and through. The hole at the bottom has to tap the main line running through. Did think of cutting through and through and sticking but I was not very confident of my sawing skills and may not get the perfectly through the middle.

The hole on the belly of the lure is a larger one and after I pull the wire through it I fill it with lead to balance the lure.

I think what you picked up was a Trolling lure need to get a look at it though, but I would assume it would be used for Kingfish, Barracuda and Wahoo and the likes of that lot.

Regards,

Bobby