->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Lure Colour
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:43 am 
Fishaholic

It has been debated if fish see in colour or not. Simple logic, if they could not see in colour they would not be so colourful…

I certainly believe in Lure colour and how different colours are more productive than others at different times, in different light conditions. Even observed how a drastic change in colour can be productive after you have just hooked and lost or caught a fish and the same or similar coloured lure is not being taken.

Collectively, it would be nice to hear first hand from our own experiences:

1) Your Favorite colours (please specify salt or fresh water).
2) Favorite colours at different times of day.
3) Any Preferable colours for particular species.

Last edited by Bobby on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

I was using the Rapala X Rap in blue colour (the one you suggested) yesterday in the harbour during the Cuda time (little light during Dusk). I didn't feel any hook ups but that place was crawling with Barracudas (and hunting too) and I could see those bad guys. I came home with disappointment and when I was giving my plug a freshwater rinse, I saw that the lure had sustained nasty barracuda attack and has been pinctured and Saltwater got in. By the way, got to tell you thanks.

As far as the specifics of this topic, I was using some other lures too by that time and cudas didn't try to eat them. The other lures were - Bomber (golden), Rapala Super Shad Rap (Fire Tiger).

LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

Seal it with a resin and use it. Or just use plain Areldide

You could disolve clear plastic in chloroform to make a glue and use that as well. Be careful..

Dusk and dark, redwhite and floro Orange work well for me particularly the former.

Regards,

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:50 pm 
Fishaholic

light plays strange trick underwater. I am sure that like birds fish also see colour and have an extended spectrum.

In the day in clear freshwater realistic plugs have always worked for me.

When the water gets muddy then big noisy plugs work better. Shiny plugs and spoons just don' seem to get the bites even though this is what I was taught by the experts.

In low light conditions. That is dawn, dusk and even dark overcast days. Fire tigers, crawdads, clowns, golds and red heads work the best.

One observation I have made is that if you are fishing a floating or shallow running plug then the belly colour is more important. The reverse is the case for deep divers.

Retrival speed also plays a mager roll in the whole scene. But that is for another discussion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:50 pm 
Fishaholic

barra,silver/black- Ravas blue/silver :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
One observation I have made is that if you are fishing a floating or shallow running plug then the belly colour is more important. The reverse is the case for deep divers.

Hi Mahaseerken,

I agree completely with the rest of your comments, but do not do so ‘completely’ with this one. Is this from personal experience or are you quoting a theory?
I have read this theory in books before and do not agree with it completely. A theory that I do sort of agree more with is a Black underbelly ‘IF’ fish are looking from down at a lure above. Again this only assists visibility.

If you look at bait fish, the under bellies of a baitfish (for that matter most fish) are pretty pale in comparison to the rest for the body, and if you will observe lure manufacturers who make lures especially the ones that look more fishlike copy this colour distribution.

In my experience, if a fish is resting on the bottom it is doing just that, resting, and will very rarely strike a lure at the top. Most of the ambush predators that I have taken on lures, take lures from behind something a rock or whatever and wait for the fish to swim past, maybe slightly below the fish.

Please do not misunderstand me guys. I just want a meaningful discussion coming out of this post so that each one of us is helped by another’s experience.

Neil, how many other colours have you tried on Barra and Threadfin besides what you mentioned? I have found pale yellow/greens to work best on Barra, and have not caught a Threadfin for such a long time that when I caught the last one I had all silver spoons/homemade plugs…maybe 2 real precious cosmetic lures that were mostly show pieces in a tackle box :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobster .. the lure that I have been catching Barra like crazy is the Halco Multi ... looks like a fluffing illuminated popsicle and i just ttried it on one late evening ... been catching most of our Barra on this . If you check Deans post where the kid shaun caught the barra ... it was again ... the tutti fruiti ( I call it that ) Multi .. The other lures that Barra have been going for in the area I fish are the large Storm Green Fire tigers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Yo Bobby,

mate please don't apologise about anything... this is a great place to express our views, experiences and even differences.. so there.

coming back to the point. I plug just for mahaseer and ocassionally mulli and chitul. All the other fish up here take only feed bait.

what i have seen (and I ain't seen a lot) is that pale bellies seem to get more strikes when the fish are not too deep (lake conditions). But this is in the day. In low light orange, red, gold, etc seem to work better. Read somewhere that it is because of the refraction and that these colours seem to get darker and stand out against the little light. At first I didn't believe this but the results made me a believer.

On moonless nights colour does not matter at all. Noise and vibrations take over.

But then again this is only about fishing in Bhakra and pong.

cheers mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, pale bellies will work for big mahseer.

Bops