->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:35 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Since we have quite a few mahseer anglers on board let's see what makes an ideal spinning combo for mahseer.

Come on folks tell us what you use or what you think will be a good rod/reel combo for big mahseer.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm 
Fishaholic

OK, you know this already from seeing my gear and our conversations but here goes:
I'd want a rod of between 7 and 8 feet that is powerful enough to cast upto about 2.5 - 3oz (80g or so) - maybe more in fast water. I'd want a through action rather than a tippy one so the fish basically hooks itself as it hits the lure.
It should have a short but so it can be moved arround your body in a coracle or when casting from enclosed positions on the bank.
My personal choice (given the constraints of having to carry it strapped to a backback) is the heaviest of the StCroix Tidemaster travel rods.
Given the charicteristis of this rod, I'd have little hestation in going for the 1 or 2 piece options from the same range if I didn't have to carry it and transport it by plane.
Sme peoplemight prefere a longer rod but give me light weight and casting accuracy over a couple of extra meters of range anyday.

The reel really needs to be fairly robust so I currently use an 8000 size Shimano Stradic - but will probably be swapping this for an Ocuma VS of the same weight (One size smaller) in the near future.
Either way, the reel needs to have two proper spools so that one can be loaded up with 10kg braid and the other with mono of about 12kg so that you can fish the right line for the environment.

This outfit will cover all but the heaviest of aplications and will double up for throwing medium poppers for GT's and the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I feel that rod could be matched with a slightly bigger reel Bops.
The rod is meant for use with 12-40lb line, where as the reel is for use with 10-15lb line. OK if you plan to use 15lb line on it, but basically the rod would be a little heavy for the reel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Owen, dunno if you noticed but the reel is 16 Ounces and the rod is only a 7 foot. I think it will balance pretty well.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops.
The rod that you're looking at is one of several that seem to be built on the same or a very similar blank to the Ocean Master that you tried out when fishing with me.

The particular model that I have has now been discontinued and it's replacement is available from BassPro for (I think) $120. Although I landed fish to 24lbs with this rod (I got a bigger one before the 23 that you saw me take) I'd definatly put it in the lighter end of the mahseer spectrum - although it makes a lovely barra rod.

My mate Soren (in Denmark) is looking to buy either the new version of the OM rod or something like the Quantum but I don't know which one he has actually gone with.
If you can wait a couple of weeks, I should be able to have a chat with him and see what conclusions he's come to - and if he's placed an order, what he thinks of the rod he's got.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Ken. The ocean master is nice but I'd rather have a slightly heavier rod like your St Croix which I can use for both Mahseer and Salt spinning. I'll hold off on the rod purchase until I hear from you about Soren's experience.

Are you catching any Barra in Goa? Or is it all babe watch :lol:

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:06 pm 
Fishaholic

What can I say, I spent a week on the river with only blokes for company.

Not had any barra yet 'cause the weather is terrible and the tide times aren't good.
Three of us fished for hours last night for one hookup that was subsequently lost - not good at all.

I'm heading towards staying in this neck of the woods on this trip cause the weather looks wet for the upper Ganga (will definatly be scheduling a northern trip for my next visit though) so I should get stuck into some fish next week.
Even if this wind doesn't stop, I know a few places where I shouldn't get washed into the sea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Difference between IM6 & IM7 blanks anyone?
Ken any rod that costs over 50 quid better be worth the bucks.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:09 am 
Fishaholic

I agree. After a certain budget the increase in performance is really not that much. But then there are good rods and ther great ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:48 am 
Fishaholic

I agree about there often being marginal differences in quality for a major increase in price but the 4 piece 8' rod that casts upto 4oz would be a seriously versatile tool. It would throw poppers for GT's and big lures for mahseer as well as coping with light trolling and boat fishing as well as bait fishing from a beach or with ragi.
I just wish there was an equivelent from one of the budget manufacturers, 'cause I'd be reluctant to put a rod costing that much through the riggors of travel - which is ironic because that's what it's designed for....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:59 pm 
Fishaholic

I personally would'nt use a split handle European style rod for mahseer spininng. For one thing the two handed cast that it requires can be quite tiring in the heat and its also proves to be cumbersome while fighting a big fish.

Bopanna, if youre comfortable spinning with that outfit then it also has its benefits ie you can set the hook more efficiently and cast further.

I prefer the American style rods with shorter handles. The heavier versions of the Ugly Stik series by Shakespeare work great.

Post subject: tackle for masheer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:05 am 

Hi Bops,

I think when it comes to fishing for Masheer you cannot take a risk, in my opinion combos are not of very high quality (there may be exceptions). For masheer the rod should be medium heavy or heavy and the reel should have good line holding capacity upto 300 to 350 yards some big reels have upto 600 yards.

Good hooks are important as masheer have thick leather like mouth.