->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:13 pm 

Okay Big Boys,
After a strike of a BIIG Fish (may all your wishes come true) most of us have read about screaming lines and then, tighten the drag and the fight begins.
Another school of thought says, keep drag on tight right from the start and fight your fish in from the word go...
Given the state of space age materials available for fishing today, what woukd you agree on?
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Okay first of all I am not one of the Big Boys. Pretty short and in now way in the same league as some of the other people here. But I have had my share of break offs and I remember each one of them as if they just happened. (That brought tears to my eyes).

So the question tight drag vs. loose drag. I think the the loose drags is a better method for a few reasons.

1. The fish is not in the danger of being hurt that much. Especially in fasts water. To the angler a tight drag gives a better and harder hit but it does the same for the fish.
2. with a loose drag the fish takes out more line. and the fight lasts longer.
3. I have seen fish just barely hooked, a little more than skin, being landed. This is not possible with a tight drag.
4. with a lose drag you set the drag according to te weight of what you have hooked and not what you want to hook.

And lastly with a loose drag them big mahseer don't have a chance to straighten out those flimsy rapala hooks that you were to lazy to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Rule of thumb is that your drag should be 20 - 25% of your lines breaking strain. So if you have 10lb line your drag should be set at about 2.5lbs pressure. I only use a scale to set my drag on my big-game reels with other reels I just "feel" for the correct drag setting.

"Leverage" plays a huge role when with your drag setting. E.g. If have 10lb line on reel and set your drag to 5lb pressure with a full spool, then with that same drag setting with half a spool of line the drag setting will be 10lb. because of the reduced diameter of the spool. So if you hook into a large fish and she runs taking away little more than 1/2 your line and exerts more pressure than 10lbs after that the line will snap.

The beauty of tiring a fish out faster is estimating the max drag setting and loosening it as the spool empties out thus exerting the max pressure you can on a fish from the start of the fight. This is why lever drags are so advantageous.

I am not recommending anyone do this unless you are really good with your drag settings and know your reel really well. It is very tricky with stardrags. Best thing is to set your drag 20 - 25% breaking strain of the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:04 pm 
Fishaholic

To me drag settings are different for different types of fishing.

If it is at the lakes, i give the fish plenty of line to run, besides powering fish with soft mouths with small hooks spells disaster.

In the river i invaribly load my reels with 40lb mono, and depending on how much room there is in the channel, or how far i can afford to let the fish run before it hits the rapids i set the drag accordingly.

Once he enters the rapids, you have no choice but to slacken off on the drag, and only put the minimum possible pressure on the fish or he will break you on the sharp rocks.

There are no 2 similar settings that will work on a fast flowing river, each location needs careful thought. The only time i use a stereo type setting is when the rod is on a stand and the reel on bait runner(multiplier), but even then you need to have your drag correctly set so that when you switch from bait runner to drag, there is no huge jerk that can break something of pull the hook free.

After 15 breaks on 40lb mono, i am still searching for the perfect drag setting. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:11 pm 

I've got bites!
Thanks Bobby and OB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Agree with Owen - You cant set the same drag setting for lake fishing and river fishing.. two different styles altogether, and OMO has already explained that..

Also agree with Mken - Most of the time I keep my drag a bit loose and then start tightening up once I play the fish.. Don't wanna be losing a fish on account of a very tight drag..

I think we all will have our own preferences when it comes to the drag settings and in the end we will settle down with the setting that best suits us and which we are more comfortable with..
Books and articles can tell us a lot about what we should or should not be doing, but hands-on experience is the best way to learn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:03 am 
Fishaholic

It depends what species u fishin for,in the case of Barra u have to make sure u set the hook first because then he is going to do some spectacular jumping which will throw out any lure if the hook is not set,in my case i always reeled in when the fish jumped to pick up any slack line,the next case scenenario is the fish making a mad rush for the bottom or a outcrop of reef,the essence of a good fisherman is to read what the fish is doing and be one step ahead of him.Basically start of with a tight drag and then slowly loosen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Im with Neil on this one..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

I have read somewhere when fishing for groupers, if the fish is allowed to get into his hide out then he is a history. In such case it is told to keep the rod tip high with a tight drag and tire the fish with the bent in the rod. i.e. Not to pull the fish hard and also not to let him run, but with the bend in the rod and gradually keep gaining the line and bring the fish to the surface.

LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:23 am 
Fishaholic

Groupers are mostly bottom dwellers,they can outsmart you while close to the bottom,if you pull him out to a shallow depth his air sac will expand givin him more buoyancy and then he almost starts floating up,basically embolising,For a person who has observed these fish at close quarters they can be very fast on the bottom normally hiding in old drums,under pipelines or any space they can hide,they can be very teritorial i know of a pair that hang around the Hira complex as big as Sedans,been there for years and many of our divers have seen this amazing pair(no u cannot go fishing in Hira its out of bounds for fishing boats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:06 am 
Fishaholic

HI LF,

Perhaps what you are referring to are Rock Cods/Estuary Cods which we come across more often than true Groupers. You are correct with what you said to some extent. However with both these fish, the fight is won or lost on the strike and the next 30 seconds. You have to hold that fish “there” giving no quarter if you are to win immediately after the strike.

With Giant Grouper, it is near impossible to fish them out from the depths, the only way to land these fish would be when they are higher up on the drop off and again the fight will be won or lost immediately after the strike.

As far as Gropers go a stiff knee to the groin should work just fine ask any woman...

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Right on Bob and Neil ... guess we all are from the same farm ... nothing more to add here :idea: