->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Loaning fishing gear
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

So here is the situation ...... you go on a holiday and your relatives accompany you on the trip and are most anxious to go fishing with you.

Once at the fishing spot, they see you catching fish or generally enjoy the experience and pop the question " Can I have a go"?

Big trouble. You have to give them your expensive rod and reel and lure so they can try it out .... no end of tangles and worst of all the loss of your favourite $20 lure because they forgot to open the bail when casting out or reeled in too slowly and the lure snags on weeds.

So what can one do, short of losing a good relationship?

I have mulled over this issue for a long time and decided to carry one cheaper extra rod and reel, loaded with mono line, topped with a copycat Chinese lure worth $2-3. The relatives and friends can cast away to their hearts content and I do not have to worry about losing expensive lures.

The charm soon wears off and they retreat to have a beer or packed lunch, letting me carry on with the more serious business of angling. However, two of my nephews have gone past this phase and are now accomplished anglers!

How do you deal with this issue?

Kingfish

Post subject: Re: Loaning fishing gear
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:17 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
decided to carry one cheaper extra rod and reel, loaded with mono line, topped with a copycat Chinese lure worth $2-3.
Kingfish

^This is the same thing I do as well, when someone well know, but inexperienced wannabe angler tags along.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:44 pm 
Fishaholic

I have a cheaper setup one that I would lend to a friend who wants to come fishing with me. Lures, I usually carry about 20 lures in the plug bag, and I let them fish inexpensive lures but effective ones like a Hopkins metals or Sp Minnows, or soft plastics. I took one friend to fish for flounder and he had fun catching them with Gulp. End of day he was hooked and wanted a setup for himself. Took him to Cabelas the next weekend, and showed him some stuff he would need. He now fishes a lot!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:25 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Venkat and Binu,

Good to hear from you. We seem to think alike in this situation.

It is a balancing act..... one wishes to encourage the potential anglers and humour the ones who just want to try angling without being serious.

However, when it comes to young anglers (say 6-7 years old) then I spare no expense in getting them good gear suitable for their tender years and spend quality time with them teaching them how to cast and retrieve.

My 9 years old grandson is now proficient at spinning and I have got him a nice balanced outfit for his own use. He gets to use my lures and although he has yet to catch his first fish, he is still keen.

Wish him luck!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish, I wish your grandson good look to catch his first fish soon..I remember how much I used to pester my grandfather to buy me fishing hooks..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Venkat,
With your blessings, when my grandson catches his first fish, I will put the picture on this Forum.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:42 pm 
Fishaholic

I tell them to piss off. Just kidding, I just nicely tell them, "No" :-)

Good luck to your Grandson with his first one and the ones in the years to come....

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:41 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the good wishes, Maruthu.

Kingfish