->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Line conversions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:00 pm 

Hi people,
I've noticed that Europeans tend to label their line in fractions of mm
eg 0.25 or 0.40mm
What does it translate to in the lbs scale?
Ok, Line has both mm and Lb strength mentioned on package but many reels of European origin (DAM??) simply state it in mm
Help
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:07 am 
Fishaholic

That is a broad question with an even broader answer. It used to be simple but now with new technologies you should never go by that table. In Japan/Hong Kong/China they now go you line number to make things more complicated.

Conventionally, If I am not mistaken .40 = 20lb line just as a guideline.

2 things you need to consider as an angler, 1 breaking strain so you know how to set your drag and 2 diameter for abrasion and knot tying. And if you are filling up your spool, make an educated estimate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 am 
Fishaholic

My two pence eljefe!
The line dia has nothing to do with the BS.
A thinner line could have a higher BS than another of the same dia, it all depends on the what goes into making the line.

We would all like to be using thinner lines so that we can load more of it on our reels. But can you really trust the BS printed on a spool?

I test this for my self, by attaching one end to a dial scales and go for break point with an eye on the scales. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:18 am 
Fishaholic

Spot on Owen :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:26 am 
Fishaholic

I set my drag using the scales at Durg .. Load up the rod and reel -lie through the guides -- tie it to the end of the scale and then set the drag -- never touch the drag after that - but keep checking it by pulling line of the reel from time to time -- incase i need to apply some more pressure -- i use my fore finger on the drum of the reel incase of a spinning reel or if im using a multiplyer then thumb on the line in the drum -- works for me !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:55 am 
Fishaholic

Thats for drag settings Fred. And some lovely trophies on the thumb you must have when using your thumb with a multiplier:lol:

In fact once you get a feel for it, you can by just pulling line off the spool know which zone you are in. However you salties seem to adopt more accurate procedures to detirmine this.

But for checking line BS, i use the above described method.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

I set my trolling reels with a scale as well, but all have lever drags, so I do not have a problem shifting my drag settings. Dont use the thumb or fingers have been burnt a few times. With Large game reels your hands tend to rest on top of the reel and for those brave enough use your fingers. Seondly, with these reels and their large line capacity, leverage plays a huge role and your drag settings will vary considerably depending on the amount of line affecting the diameter of the spool.

With my spinning reels I do use the forefinger or palm, however depending on the situation towards the end of a fight loosen the drag a bit especially if I know landing that fish is going to be a problem. I do not really have a problem adjusting the drag during a fight even with my spinning reels.

I know old school of thought never touch your drag once set blah blah, I used to follow that, times change, things change and you learn more :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

I'm with you Bobby, i never set my drag by scales, and i am continously changing drag settings while fighting a fish depending on the fish and the water conditions. Probably not advisable for sea fishing.
An occassional bubble on the thumb is a nice feeling. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Naa mate..same thing...I do not think density of salt water will really have that kind of an effect :lol:

Off to a pub now to watch India/Sri Lanka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Fluffing " Rock Guitarists " ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:53 am 

Thanks guys,
If I get a reel which states 0.40mm line, with no indiaction whether it means mono, braid or super braid, is there a 'Thumb rule' :lol: to use? or what?
Notice most of you pro types use a leader-light main-heavy main or evebn mono / braid combo.
Are the indications (in line dia) for an european spool presumably a baseline MONO dia? all other superlines etc-go with the flow?? 8) :lol: Please clear the fog..
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

If it says 0.40 line dia, it indicates mono. The reel will take more if you are loading braid of an eqivalent BS, as braid is thinner.
If you are using a leader of a different dia, then you will have to work out how much line it will take with the combination of both.
Man you do get technical :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

I am with Owen, I would guess 20lb mono, if you do not have the dia of the mono on the spool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:08 am 
Fishaholic

Guys on the question of lines,remember they loose there breaking strain by about 0.5lbs/year as a rough guide,a good habit after landing a fish is to discard the first 4 feet since its that section that has taken most of the strain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:21 am 
Fishaholic

In continuation to what Heliox said, a few more tips for the newbie although this is probably not the right thread for it.

Reverse your line once before changing it.

It is a good practice to remove line from reels if they are not being used regularly. The line pressure can make some of the cheaper quality spools go wonky.

Drags should be loosened completely when reels are not in use, the pressure can damage the drag washers. This inludes the casting drag on multipliers.

If you ever try to service an Abu multiplier, remember that no oil should be used on the drag washers, and only a drop of oil should go into the end caps that house the bearings. Any more than that, and the oil will find its way into the drag system, and cause severe jerking while playing a fish, which is the last thing you would want to happen.

I guess the same is applicable for most drag systems.
Cheers
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:41 am 

Thanks Owen,Neil
Surely great tips and did help clear the fog.Technical? me? no way Owen, just that the there is so much written on the packing/containers 8) I even read the jam bottle on the breakfast table :wink:
Actually, I guess, there is a barrage of info overload on us newbies.If I knew what I know today when I was in US last year, i would have picked up a lot of basic useful stuff- a couple more reels, swivels,line etc But the fun is also in meeting up with the IA gang and learning on the go...prefer it any day. I cant fish every day, much as I want to, but i can pop in 'Eljefe's stupid question of the month' and get some great, usable advice from you guys who've been there done that.Thats the best part of being a newbie angler.
Thanks again.
Axx