[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
How light can you fish - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:40 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: How light can you fish
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:25 am 
Fishaholic

Hi

fishing for barramundi, in mangroves/beach how much light tackle can you use.
i mean lowest lb test line, on 3000 series daiwa reel, and which rod would you recommend.

i was thinking of using uglystick 5.10 feet medium action.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:24 am 
Fishaholic

Interesting.

I would be comfortable with 20lb braid and a 30 lb leader on your outfit .

The Uglystik rod you mention is rated 6-15 lb and is quite adequate for your setup.

Daiwa sizes are always larger compared to Shimano for the same reel size.. So you will have plenty of line capacity and perhaps a higher drag rating than a comparable Shimano.

This will be to your advantage, of course.

So what will be the lures and their weights that you propose to use with the above outfit ?

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

I always thought that an 8# test (mono) tackle should be good for barramundi from the beach. But, my friend lost a big barra as he was using only 20# fluoro leader from the beach due to abrasion from the mouth. If there are big barras, I'd go with 12# test tackle with 40# fluoro leader.

But again I haven't caught that many barramundi neither do I specifically target them. So, I can't say for sure. I just got my 7' St Croix Avid inshore rod rated for 10 to 20 # line and 1/2 to 1 1/4 oz lures, for specifically targeting barras. I have a Shimano Calcutta 200 GTB reel loaded with 12# mono that will be paired with this rod. This is a bait casting setup, but I think you get the idea :)

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:59 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish

ill be using lures max up to 22gms and less, its just that i want to have some fun pushing the gear to the limit and successfully landing barra.
ofc there are chances of bycatch of snappers and trevally
leader wise am comfortable with 20lb wire leader, or 40lb floro leader.

also same setup will be used for fishing with live prawns.

[smilie=fixtit.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Just a general lament,I do not find anybody posting any reports with pictures
on the forum since a long time.

Most of the enquiries seem to be from new anglers and I for one will try and help them where possible.

But what are the established anglers doing? No reports = no fishing?

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:20 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:40 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:17 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: ????
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:15 am 
Enlightened

I do not see a problem in putting a fishing report without the fishing location. If people feel their location is going to be bombarded, they can keep it as a secret but at least post a report….after all its a fishing forum and it does make it a bit interesting with catches from different location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

i use braid and mono also to fish using a float, i use adjustable float, so i can vary how deep i want the bait to be, yes when you have a bite, your float just disappear, so its important to keep you eye on the float.
i use this method at night, if its pitch dark than you can use a glow stick above the float ( they last 8 hours )
you can also use circle hook to improve ur hook up chance as you fish on a limp line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:54 am 
Fishaholic

There are no fish where I go fishing anymore so no reports from me, plus many local fisherman I been speaking with say their nets remain empty even after being left in the sea for quite some time, some of these netting guys don't follow rules and keep their nets in the sea all night and all day! some of them have said that if this continues we might not find fish around India in the next ten years! It might sound funny but it is also alarming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:59 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Omesh,

Understand your sentiments.

However, how can an outsider such as Worldfisher (Scott) find such excellent fishing in India in such a short time?

My point is that the fish are there in India but in more challenging haunts.

The bulk of the Indian anglers,it seems,are not adventurous enough to try new situations and places.

They seem to wait and find out where a compatriot is catching fish and then hammer that place, invariably from a shore based location.

Why have different techniques not been tried,such as going out in a boat and actively looking for schools of fish (tuna,mackerel) slashing bait on the surface and then casting to them ?

Other Asian anglers are far ahead of us in this respect and are more innovative and adventurous.

We have a long,long way to go it seems.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

cant agree more, there is still a lot of fish to catch, you can land fish from places which you must have thought is a dead spot.
when you go out casting , why do you carry different color lures in your tackle box ? you will not know which lure will work on which day.
same applies to size, color swimming dept of the lure.
you need a lot of variations, same way you need variations in fishing style,
when i go fishing with live bait, i also do carry lures, in case the fish want to bite plastic.
you should even have variations in live bait also, you can mullets, prawns, live squid.
and the dept you fish them also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:32 pm 
Fishaholic

How Scott does it is definitely a thought provoking. One of the biggest draw backs of finding such places and fishing are our local cops. They stop us, examine our tackle, ask various funny rhetoric questions and then ask us to leave the spot, sometimes they are drunk with a pistol and at liberty to shoot! They won't do this with a firang but with us it's their "baap ka maal" I'm lucky my tackle hasn't been taken away (confiscated is not the right word here), I'm happy I haven't been beaten up or shot by a drunk policeman suspecting me to be a dubious character when my agenda is to fish. I have a tent and everything I need to find new spots and go fishing, somehow going solo is something I haven't been able to accomplish yet, always need atleast one friend/companion, it is much safer this way, plus the couple of occasions I did venture, one I came back empty handed and the other I encountered Mr. big moustache drunk policeman with a gun who had complete authority over the land I was standing on. Needless to say I love my life more than angling. I wish the situation changes. I wish we can procure a license and once flashed to someone from authority they should let us be without poking their nose in our business.