[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Mono Line problem - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:55 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Mono Line problem
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:43 am 
Fishaholic

Hi friends,
I am facing a problem with my line..... :roll: . Whenever I cast with a light bait or lure, my line stays like coil in water :cry: . Even I hanged a heavy lure with the line for two days in my home, but the line is not getting straight..... :x .

What should I do :?: .

Regards,

Pradeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Pradeep,

what brand of line you are using ?
Use a good quality like Suffix , Daiwa lines.

fish4fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:37 pm 

mono has a memory ,it will take the shape it had before,use braid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:05 pm 

You are using a heavy Mono line for that lure..

This is how I use the monofilament for casting lures and it will not cause the loops/coil in water..
If its a lure between 7gm to 22gm use between 4lb to 10lb monofilament line..
Above 22gm to 40gm between 10lb to 15lb monofilament line.
You can use braided lines of similar diameter.

It's better to buy reels with extra spool for this purpose.One one spool you have light line and on the other you have somewhat heavy line and you should be able to change the spool when and where necessary.

If you don't have extra spool and don't want to buy extra reel then you can add weight on the line or the lure.When adding weight on the lure you should be aware of the dynamics of the lure so that you donot mess with the movement that it was designed for. if you want to add weight to your line add some split shots 15 to 20 inches from the lure and cast.
let say you have a 7gm lure and a 12 lb monofilament line.Then 15 to 20 inches from your lure add approx 22 to 28gm weight and cast.

if you want to add weight to the lure then you can do by adding weight on the stem of the treble hook.you will need some long nose pliers to tight it on the hook and big split shots for that..
if you dont' have the big split shots find a wire that is heavy (like a lead wire) and wind it on stem of the treble hooks tightly to add weight.

Also check your rod for the supported casting weight and the line rating.if its slightly above the range then no problem.For a rod that is rated to support max upto 1 ounce(28gm) you can cast 45gm lure as well but it will not cast to the desirable distance with ease.
Similarly, if the rod is casting less than the casting weight its rated it will be an undesirable cast. Like if your rod is rated to cast minimum 10gm lure.You can cast a 4gm or 7gm lure with it but it's not recommended. The same is applied for the line rating.You can use a 40lb monofilament line on 10-20lb rated rod but it's effects are undesirable.

So multiple factors have to be taken when casting lures and to avoid the loops/coils that are formed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fish4fun,
I have very less knowledge on good brand lines, because I am a novice. When I bought the reel it was pre spooled with Berkely mono line. But few days back I have purchased a Daiwa and a Suffix line :-) . I will try that also. Thanks for your reply :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rfdes,
thanks for your reply. I am using a spinning reel. I have plan for a Baitcasting reel. Surely looking for braid on that.... :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rocky,
thank you for helping me again. I am using a 17 Lb Berkely line. I didn't know that I am using super heavy line. After reading your mail I got to know that my requirement is in between 10 Lb line. You know few days back I have purchased two lines of 7 & 8 Lb Suffix and Daiwa mono line.

Actually I am not facing the problem of bird nest..... but whenever I cast the line doesn't stay straight on water. It looks like so many Jalebis in a straight line. One of a friend said that mono has memory. Then how can I delet the memory :lol: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:42 pm 

if the Berkley line you are using is Trilene, then that may be the cause. Trilene lines is thick & have less stretch. They are more suited as leaders.

line coil doesnt always fall to brand issue or line test alone. the shape of your spool is one factor to be considered. if the spool is long (height) & small in diametre, it will cause line memory. another factor to be considered is the way you spool new line into your reel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:17 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:47 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:06 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Pradeep,

Answer: Spool a new line.

1- Match your tackle - (all comes in poundage of line, lures and Drag class) - NEVER use a higher poundage line!!! You can damage your reel should you hook the big ONE... Over sized mono can caused an uneven/inconsistent line arrangement (higher end reel may help) while spooling especially when you are bait\lure casting a different size /weight lure and way result in "bird nest" loops and such.

2- Matching your MAIN line with the type of fishing you do... Braided line used for sensitivity and LENGTH... Mono for most application except jigging/popping: Mono lines come with LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH memory, matched with your fishing mode.

3- Change your mono line as often ... Mono changes its characteristic with usage; water you fish (chemical reaction), sun (UV and heat)... your problem may be caused of these. For economical sake, I normally purchase line in a bigger spool (300 yard) in 2 color (dark & clear) so I can change as often after reasonable multiple usage.

4- Manage your cost ..... Braid may not be your answer.... it is expensive and mainly use for lure casting, jigging and popping. Read some reviews on the net.... You don’t want to use braid in a dirty murky water snaggy area. You may use Mono in fluorocarbon type for less visibility in super clear water but it is stiff but you can choose lower poundage for lure casting... Floro line is expensive too.

5-The thinner the better -I always use the max (with minimum thickness for length) poundage the reel can take. Easy to cast, achieve distance and the line can be spooled better (less possible "bird nest" and those coils)..

Upps... gotto go....

Last edited by shah747 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Shah 747,
thanks for your valuable inputs. I am sorry I couldn't reply you soon. I understand that you are a very good fan of braid line. I wish oneday I will be also a great fan of braid line. Your suggestions are valuable and I will implement those suggestions soon.

Regards,

Pradeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:11 pm 
Enlightened

Last edited by shah747 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:44 am 
Enlightened