[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
coming to goa from australia....need advice - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:44 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 am 

hey friends, i will be in goa for two weeks. im bringing 8 ft telescopic rod , medium sized reel, 15 lb line. any advice on landbased spots in goa, rocks or estuary. baits and species to target. and if my gear will be sufficient? thanks heaps......john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

John,

The setup you mentioned should be fine for MJs and Barrmundi on lures.
But for groupers it might be a bit too light, but again it will be a lot of fun with MJs and Barramundi.

If you don't mind me asking, which part of Goa are you visiting and when?

Because I am there for 9 days in April and was looking for someone to fish with, because I do not want to be alone on those rocks, specially after dark. Besides, it is easier to land fish and to take pictures of the catch when there is another person fishing with you....

Here is a link to my post....

http://indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=5127

Post subject: hey buddy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 pm 

hey mate...unfortunately I will be leaving on March 28th. I would really enjoy a fishing partner. Maybe next time. (or if you ever come to melbourne!!)

Are Barrumundi caught only in freshwater I am guessing? Will they take bait ro only lures usually. And how about targeting Mangrove Jack?

I really dont have a plan to where I am going. I am in Kerala for 10 days and then meeting my friends who are coming down from Punjab. I am guessing we will meet in Panaji. I will have a scooter there so can travel to some good fishing spots.

Land bades fishing in Melboure is not very productive, so I hope to hear my reel hissing at least once.

I also just got a rod, I opted for a 10 foot telescopic.

Good luck fishing and any other help will be appreciated, but no stress ..

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:26 pm 
Fishaholic

John,

Lures work very well here on the west coast.

For a telescopic rod, I wouldn't recommend any lure over 6 inches in length as you might attract large groupers and will lose your tackle. 5 in lures should get you plenty of Mangrove Jacks and Barramundi if they are around. Get to a rock edge and cast along the rocks and retrieve at a moderate slow speed and you should get hookups immediately from MJs. Barramundi in India can be caught in salt water and also in estuaries, but not as much in fresh water.

Use light coloured lure during the day and switch to dark lures after it gets dark and slow down your retrieve speed. Let us know how it goes..... Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm 

thanks heaps.....ive opted for my ten foot telescopic and bigger reel with a 25 lb line.....its quite a thin pole, good for flicking lures and has plenty of give....that word 'immediately' is something foreign to me here in australia!!!!! also...ill have to reaearch the lures.....but im picking up most of my tackle in kerala.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Mate,

If you plan to do a few serious session I would look for something a little better that the telescopic rod. I know there are very good quality models available but generally if it is of lower quality it might not last out for too many fish. It also sounds like the action is too soft for lure fishing. Just as an example a friend bought a very expensive telescopic rod from germany. It looked good until he hooked a big barra...the rod literally exploded and ended up in 4 pieces.

Particularly with the barra you want a bit of a stiff tip as the bite can be gentle and you need to set the hooks quick. Mjs are a different story and they of course will hit the lure with out qualms but a big one might smash your rod.

I would also run Braid rather than mono and rather go on the heavy side. 50/60 lb power pro could be a good start. I fish lighter these days but until you find your feet its best to go heavy because at the end of the day its better its not good to leave lures in the fish.

You would be far better off looking for a multi piece travel rod. It might cost more but will last many years if you get a quality one and you will undoubtedly have a more pleasant fishing experience. Look at the shimano t curve inshore series. I used some when i was in oz and they are pretty good and will be able to handle an angry 10kg barramundi better that a telescopic.

check my site for some hints worldbiker.blogspot and drop me a pm if you have any other q's

all the best and good luck, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi John,

Both lure_fisherman and Scott have given you good advice, your present setup leaves a bit to be desired.

I suggest you pick up the 4 piece Shimano 902 Inshore travel rod for $185 or so and match it with,say, a Penn Slammer 560 which are going cheap at $85 these days as they have been superseded by the newer Spinfishers.

This outfit will serve you well for rock and beach fishing,although slightly heavy for estuary fishing, and you can take it for future trips to any corner in the world .It will last a long time with proper care.

Some braided line in the 40 lb range, a bunch of Squidgy/Gulp soft plastics, Halco Twisty metals in the 40-60 gm range and a good supply of Halco Laser Pros in various depth ratings will just about have you covered for all spinning scenarios.oh, also do not forget some fluoro leaders in the 60 lb range as well as some wire leaders for toothy barracudas.

Good luck and enjoy your fishing.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Scott,

My favourite setup for the west coast is a 7' G Loomis Pro Blue Rod (PBR843C) rated for 12 to 25# line, paired with a Shimano Calcutta 300TE, loaded with 50# power pro braid. I am able to cast the lightest lures with ease and also have no problem landing decent sized fish.

But, I can't help with the groupers and for what ever reason, may be just the place I fish or my technique, I hook into big groupers while I'm fishing for other species with lures and get my line cut off the rocks. Next time, I am gearing heavy and specifically target groupers, but that's typically not the kind of fishing I do.

Just wanted to ask you on how often you run into groupers while you're fishing for other species from the rocks and how do you handle a 10kg grouper with light tackle. Once I'm comfortable with groupers on heavy tackle I'm planning to switch back to my lighter inshore setup for fishing from the rocks with 50# braid connected to a 15 feet leader using an FG knot.

BTW, I have marked some small sandy river mouths in Konkan for April and I will be using my 6'6" Shimano teramar inshore rod rated for 8 to 14# line and 1/8 to 5/8 oz lures, paired with a Shimano Calcutta 200GTB reel loaded with 8# test mono main line for fishing small soft plastics in 3" to 4" and hard plastic swimmers and top water lures. I have caught stripers with this setup in the bay, so do you think this is good for Barras from a sandy river mouth?

Thanks,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 am 
Fishaholic

hi
where exactly are you staying in goa ? north goa or south goa
you need to use minimum 40lb braid and reel which can have at least 250mts of line.
halco laser pro 160mm is perfect size lure for casting ( red head, silver,golden colour lure work here.
also you can get rubber lures preferably white colour.
best place to target barramundi is at river mouth at night or before sunrise.
make sure you fish when tides going out.
rapala lures wise 12cm glass ghost is going to catch a lot of fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Marathu,

yes that set up will be fine but my personal preference would be to use braid rather than mono. It of course depends what you are used to but for me I know I will convert many more bites into hookups with the braid.

If there are no snags about then you will have a blast if the fish are biting with a light set-up but do try and check at low water what the underground topography is like before fishing if you have the chance. There is always the chance of a big fish running well over a hundred metres.

And also it is wise to be very discreet if you fish any very small rivers as it won't take much to destroy the fishery with a couple of nets!

Good luck and do drop me a mail when you are coming as it would be great to meet for a fish :)

all the best, Scott

worldbiker.blogspot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Oh and I forgot to answer your grouper question. The truth is i don't come across them very often as they are very localised in certain areas. I think (i'm not certain) that many inshore fish have been killed in recent years by pesticide run off during the monsoon season so I get the impression stocks might be depleted in some areas.

And to handle one on light tackle landbased..... luck is the name of the game. Even on heavy tackle it is hard to stop the first run and by then it might be all over. So I think if you are encountering them often it is better to stick with the heavier tackle because at the end of the day if they get the chance to go in a hole they will and none of us likes to leave lures in fish.

if you find an area where only barra are taking the lures then switch to a lighter set up...

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Scott,

Thanks a lot for the information!

I'll stick with mono on my lighter setup for now and will definitely switch to braid sooner....

I shall fish with heavy tackle this time due to the presence of groupers as per your suggestion. I have lost all the groupers I've hooked with the setup with which I was able to winch some decent MJs without any issues.

I shall let you know on my next trip. For now I am planning to do a 4 day trip from 13th to 16th or 14th to 17th March. Will PM you with more details on that. Then I am planning a 9 day trip in April from 12th to 20th.

Cheers! Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:08 am 
Fishaholic

Hey cool, yes let me know the details :)

all the best, Scott

Post subject: Goa
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I will be in South Goa from 15 to 20 Mar 2013. Hope to catch up with the locals.
Regards
Cavalier.