[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Lured Myself.... :) My first lure creation... - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:19 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:42 am 
Enlightened

Well I am lured by the lure!
Lure shopping can create a dent in the wallet. Especially quality popper lures. The original ones cost in excess of Rs. 700. While the Chinese ones cost around Rs. 350-450, but have poor casting distance due to less weight.
Decided to try my hand at constructing my own popper.
Got my work bench out of the dust in the garage and began the work.
In less than 10 mins I had the shape of the popper ready, however by mistake cut the face of the popper with a slant. Hence plugged a Snapples bottle cap up ahead to give the flat popper head effect. I spray painted it flat black with the disposable cans readily available. Think I will outsource this to a woodcarver, who I am sure will not charge more than Rs. 40- Rs. 60 to carve the wood.

Need to PU/ lacquer coat it and test it in the water for the action.

It has passed the buoyancy test in the water in the bucket, but need to check it in the estuary of Marve. Should be heading this Sunday afternoon for a bit, will have it checked. The lure weighs around 80-100 gms.
Will be making more lures in different weights and checking how to the fare in casting and action of the lure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

Nice efforts Ralstonraz!!! Waiting to see a lot more from you..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:17 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks Venkat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Nicely done....TFS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:38 am 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:07 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:40 am 
Enlightened

You will get it at timber stockists. Google it - should have some guy selling blocks of it around your area. Also scout around old timber shops around jogeshwari - near Oshiwara, you will get it there. A friend of mine sourced it from Bombay Central. A quick tip - for starters, you could use the "washing bat" (many ppl still wash clothes by *spanking them.. :) - it's a white bat with black rubber handle that are sold in markets. I think it should work - haven't use one myself, but i think it will do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 am 

I got some deodhar wood and have been carving it for 3 hours straight . will post the pics of the carved wood soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:02 pm 

OK so here's the piece of wood
http://imageshack.us/f/593/y02g.jpg/

Which took me 3 hours to carve into this

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/kvkt.jpg/

Will complete it after sometime as all that carving gave me 2 blisters in both of my thumbs .As I am to my native place in konkan on 5th . I will post the picture of the completed lure later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am 
Enlightened

Great going..... sand it down with a heavy duty sand paper to shape it the way you want and then finish it with an extremely fine sanding paper to make it smooth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:08 pm 

Sure . But I am facing a problem . I am not getting I hooks . Any ideas ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:47 pm 

I am lured to this topic too.. ;-)
Good job Ralstonraz and appreciate your knowledge sharing. [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Anglernick, "I-hooks" are are easily available in the hardware stores. They are generally used in old styled wooden windows, to hold curtain springs etc.
Hope this helps. [smilie=hammerit.gif] [smilie=fixtit.gif]
Best of luck.. and please remember to put the pics of finished lures.

I too will try this soon and let you guys know the outcome.
-Pradeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:02 pm 
Enlightened

Hi all,

Find below a set of completed lures. Did a basic paint job, that included masking. Will try something different later.

For there I have used stinless steel wire construction for the end to end joins and I-Hook for the middle hook.

Will be putting the split rings and treble hooks, a shortly. I got the split rings custom made from a guy who makes springs. Got 120 rings for Rs. 300/- sweet right? considering the cost of the rings from tackle shops. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:04 pm 
Enlightened

Nick I-hook are avaliable at the hardware store. Get the smallest size available. They are not the best to be used, but its fine for small to medium size fish. Be sure that you smear aradlite on the I-hook before inserting in the lure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Lures Ralstonraz!! 120 rings for Rs 300 is a great deal.. What is the size of the lure? Looking at the image I feel the cup size needs to be a little bigger to give the pop.. and the middle hook is placed a little far towards the rear. Just my thought!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:39 am 
Enlightened

You are absoulutely right, however these are pure narrow pencil type poppers. The next lot I will make the cup faced. Got a beautiful rotary bit tool that carves curvatures in wood with ease. Will definately get some done. :)

About the size, they are 15 cms made of Deodhar wood. Processed as follows

1. Sanding filler
2. Primer
3. Acrylic paints ( bosny cans)
4. Coated with Woodtouch & coated one of the lures with clear lacquer (bosny)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:46 am 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:46 am 
Enlightened