->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Everyone,

I went to the harbour today morning and the water was warm and clear and I had my hopes on. The high tide was around 5:00 AM, I was there by 06:00 AM. Couple of weeks back a guy hooked a big GT (with live shrimp) at around 06:30 AM, during the full moon phase when the high tide was at around 05:00 AM. I thought it had something to do with the tide and timing and I planned the trip so.

And yes, I saw the fish breaking the surface chasing the bait fish around 07:00 AM. There were too many of them. I saw the Big Grey body of monsterous Giant Trevally. It was like fire works all over the surface of the water. Bait fish suddenly oozing out of the water followed by a big splash by a grey body. I couldn't resists myself seeing this less than 15 yards from where I stand.

Now I will come to the frustrating part. I was fishing with a 1.5 ounce Gibbs Polaris Popper. Tired Pop.. Pop..Pop, Pop reel Pop, Varied from very slow to very fast retrieve with the rod tip low. They did not take my lure, but were still chasing the bait fish and hitting them on the surface.

I tried Charlie Graves J9 with dressed hook, with plain hook, slow retrieve to very fast retrieve... to skipping the tin on the surface. No use.

I tried a Yozuri deep diver plug that had produced GT for others. Tried all sorts of retrieve.. useless. But the fish were still feeding.

It all stopped by around 08:30 AM, and I came home back. The entire school of Giant Trevally that were feeding close to me showed me their big arses.

Can someone tell, or guess the possibility of a fish that literally feeds on anything that moves to not to take a lure. I was told that GTs hit about anything that moves in the water.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:38 pm 
Fishaholic

You should use large poppers rod top up because you ned to splash the surface with a popper.

If they are feedng on the surface, it is really hard to believe that a GT will not hit a popper unless you are doing something really wrong or perhaps it is just not your day :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

The popper I used was about 4.5 inches. As I was not catching anything on big lures I went to smaller lures as I have told you before. I also splashed with the popper from a mild splash to as much as possible on different casts, but it didn't work. I think I should be using bigger poppers as I have heard that a 3 Kilo GT will hit an 8 inch plug.

I had been fishing for a year or more catching nothing, but today was my most frustrating day as I saw the fish, big ones, lots of them. I couldn't help myself now. My head feels like exploding.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

This is unusual, I have never "not caught" GT's when they were feeding. If they are feeding on top splashing, then they "will" hit poppers that splash. Small fish will only hit very large lures if they are in a frenzy (which means they will hit almost everything) or if they are territorial or aggresion. I have seen small Ravas (threadfin) that were actually caught on lures that were larger than themselves, not fowl hooked but hooked in the mouth.

If they are feeding below the surface then Minnow type lures work.

However if they seem to be feeding on the top and stay in that area then they will take poppers. How accurate is your casting? Besides you must pause when you splash or pop, they take the lure on the pause most of the time.

I have caught a lot of small GT's on these poppers:

See if you can get something similar, especially the greenish one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby,

I am back home after the trip today. Today is a holiday here (for Pongal). The same thing happened today, no hook up. The fish were there, the strikes were not as many as it was yesterday, but still it in plenty. Once I was able to see the entire fish with it dark grey and flat body almost parellel to the surface of the water, striking the bait fish.

A comercial fisherman caught a barramundi about 15 pound (estmated) today with live shrimp. They were fishing few yards away from where big GTs were hitting the bait. When I go there next time I got to ask them why they ignore GTs (that's good anyway). Because a comercial guy showed me the place where I should fish for GTs and he moved away targeting Barramundi. He told me on which rock I should stand, and yes all that GT strikes were within 30 yard from where I stood.

I was also told that a guy used to come there a long time ago with Raphla swimming lures and catch a lot of fish. But still that Raphla Lure he mentioned is a WIDE CHOICE, which I had to narrow down. I think it is time to go for the Halco Roosta poppers as I was told before. And any idea if the lure in the following link will work?

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates ... hasJS=true

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

The commercial fisherman ignore GT's because they are not considered much of a table fish.

However there is a way to prepare a GT, you take off the Dark Flesh on the sides in the middle (that run under the scaley line on the sides) this should improve the flavour.

The Poppers you have posted out will work however they are used for large GT's over 20lbs. I would go for more conventional poppers, like the hydro tiger etc. I notice, that your choice of lures tends to be extravagant, go for more regular colours and shapes than the flashy ones you like, Lures seem to be catching you and not fish :lol: . Try something in the shape and colour like what I posted above

Also buy a Red (head)/White popper that will work. Yo-zuri has some good ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby,

The fish I saw breaking the surface should be around 20 lbs or more, that was why I couldn't resist. Imagine that mad fight with such a monsterous GT. The comercial guys told me that the fish that were breaking the surface are smaller ones :shock: and mentioned that the bigger ones don't break the surface like that and are upto 60 lbs and feed at a dept and could be caught by livelining mullet.

The closest I could find like the poppers you shown are in the following link. Eel Punt custom made poppers. The Bunker Scale and the Yellow Pearl likes good.

http://www.stripersonline.net/cart/shop ... T_SID_HERE

Can I use that Yozuri Surface Bull lure mentioned in the previous post as the fish were very big. I have heard from guys that they work excellent for GTs. Also they were chasing mullets that were way over 12 inches. How ever I will also get the hydro poppers which you mentioned, they worked for a guy who fishes from a boat near ennore harbour for GTs.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:03 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

The Poppers on the link you just posted should work. See if you can get a Hydrotiger as well.

If the GT's grow as large as 60lb then yes try the Surface Bulls by all means.

If you are aiming for Large GT's that are feeding below also get your self this Rapala below. All the colours are good and though I like dull yelow/greens like the first and last lure, I have noticed that GT's tend to like blues especially on Minnow type lures and I believe the second last lure will work the best as far as colour goes. These are the new Rapala X Rap Magnums, even the old Rapala Magnums will do but these are suspend lures and cast a lot better than the old Magnums. I used these for the first time on my last trip and was hit by a GT on lure no 1.

I dont know what terrain you are fishing in but large GTs can really run hard and sound, they will go down to the bottom and try to rub the lure off, in the process cut you off on some large rocks below. Also when you get them close they will resist you by swimming sideways, creating max drag and try to rub the lure off on any thing that they can like rocks or the jetty wall/pillars. So somethimes you will have to literally pull them away from (below) where you are standing as they will go literally just underneath you if you are on a jetty in an attenpt to to rub the lure off on the jetty wall or pillar.

I would suggest a long leader of 5 feet even if the terrain is really rough and you are expecting GT of over 20lbs.

I am sure you will land one very soon :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

Here's a picture from yore where Ravas (Threadfin) were in a feeding frenzy, you can see the tiny size of fish in hand, there are 3 fish in total. All were taken on a Toby spoon by my brother. You can see the spoon at the top of the Rod one of those fish is slightly larger than the spoon.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby,

I will order my plugs within a couple of days. Till they arrive I have planned to fish with live mullet by snagging them and then live lining them. I fish from the harbour arm toward the open sea (too much rocks and tetrapods). I use 25 lb mono main line and 50 lb shock leader (around 20 foot length). Will also use metal leader once I get my lures.

I have planned to go with the following lures.

1. Couple of Yozuri Surface Bull GT lures
2. Raphla X Rap (With the first and the last but one colours from the picture you posted)
3. Bomber HD Long A (6 inch version Plugs in Gold colour, Yellow over White colour)
4. Storm Wild Eye Swim Baits

Hoping to land one soon.

Thanks again,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

All the best, as far as the X Rap goes, since you are going after GT's go with the 1st and the second last.

All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
The commercial fisherman ignore GT's because they are not considered much of a table fish.

However there is a way to prepare a GT, you take off the Dark Flesh on the sides in the middle (that run under the scaley line on the sides) this should improve the flavour.

That is good anyway, else they are going to empty the species.
If someone asks me how good are GTs for the table. Should I say "They are okay, but are supposed to cause some cancer in stomach" :twisted:

Thanks,
LF

Last edited by lure_fisherman on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Just say they taste like Cardboard..that's what I do :badgrin:

I know you have mentioned this earlier, but where do you fish for these GTs?

Can you post us a picture of this jetty and the surrounding terrain..

Here's a picture of a GT taken on a similar greenish popper (or perhaps that very popper) I have posted above. I had to take this image by myself while playing the fish just before it was landed, you can see the popper in the GT's mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:44 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF & Bobby,
I like this thread guys. Just might make a visit to Chennai and check out the action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:51 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Good to have you back mate. I was wondering what happened, I thought you finally had enough of Gavin :lol:

As LF describes the action it looks real good and I cannot understand how he is not having any success. Read through this post and I am sure you should have success if you go down there.

You hook into a 20 - 30lb GT and you will have a ball, I am sure it will fight harder than any Mahseer..

Some time ago, I was accused of not posting pictures 8) , well I have posted a lot over the last few days albiet not all in one post but here and there, hope you like them. Have some more to post, will do in due course, do not want to exhaust them all in one go :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 am 
Fishaholic

Hey LF ... will call you when im on one of my trips to chennai ... lets check out the action and ill bring some poppers along

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby, Owen and Fred,

It was all happening in the fishing harbour in Chennai, the most intresting thing here is that, all the fish (GTs and bait) were breaking the surface close to one particular spot well within 20 yards radius very close to the rocks. There was not even a bait fish breaking the surface OUTSIDE that spot as far as my eye could see. The local fisherman say "Count the rocks 1, 2, 3, .... to X, from here and that is the Xth tetrapod where you should stand and fish and that is where the GTs are".

Also make a note that the GTs are not there in that place all the time. But when they are there, the entire school of monsterous ones are there depending on several conditions in which water clarity if considered to be the most important by the local fisherman.

I have ordered for a couple of Halco roosta poppers ans they will be here tomorrow. Will give it a try on Sunday morning and see how the meeting goes with Mr.GT.

Bobby, where did you catch that fish. That looks a little like a Jack Crevelle in that picture. Did it have a prominant spot near its upper side of the gill.

Here is a link with a pic of Jack Crevelle.
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... p?t=514344

Thanks,
LF

Last edited by lure_fisherman on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

That fish is a proper GT mate, americans call GT's CJ's

Now, I catch GT's here in Hong Kong from similar terrain from what you describing. Under these circumstances GT's change their mode of attack from persuit to ambush.

I am going to have to charge you for this , but seeing you catch a GT has now become a personal challenge for me :D :-

These GT's are also feeding in a Beat like most fish that ambush, what they will do is go to one of their favorite spots (just like anglers) and wait there, if nothing happens or after a while, go to their next spot and the next so on and so forth, when they reach the last spot they will work their way backwards.

If you have identified 3 rocks and I am sure there are more of these ambush points that you don’t know about, but you concentrate on just these 3. You must by now must know a time between which you see feeding at one spot and another, if not time it. You need to anticipate where the fish is going to feed next so you can get there first or you concentrate on just one spot and hit it hard, focus only on that point as you know the fish is going to return there.

Bring your lure across that spot casting 3 - 4 meters behind it and bring it as close as possible to that point, a GT will hit you just as you go past from behind. If it is a minnow type lure, slow down your retrieve as you reach there and navigate it using the rod tip just as you reach the spot. If it is a popper splash it just as you arrive at the spot so that if “falls off” as you go past and that is when they will take.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bobby

Last edited by Bobby on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby,

I have updated the previous post to be more clear, it is the Xth rock (only a single small place where they congregate and ambush in the entire 200 metre arm) and not the rocks in between as far as I know or from what the local folks said. The rocks 1, 2, 3 and such were showing the direction or distance to the Xth rock by the fishermen to where the GTs were lurking. As you said the fish were feeding in Ambush mode by hiding inside the tetrapods in the harbour arm.

However as you said I might not be aware of the other ambush places. The south arm of the harbour was told to me as a better place for fishing by some folks, than the one I visit (north arm).

I am hoping to land one with those Halco Roosta poppers if the fish were there and I will give an update here on Sunday on how it went.

Fredfish, Owen let me know when you guys come to Chennai, we can go there and fish.

I spoke to the Halco dealer in Madurai today and told about IndianAngler and I think he is now in as our new member RAMU.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

That GT above was taken in India, close to Goa.

I now get a better picture of what you are telling me. I am still trying to understand the arm of this Jetty though does it have rocks for breakers? or is it a clean jetty where boats dock against?

This is the terrain in which I hunt GTs in Hong Kong, the breaker is a built around a Yatch Club for protection. The Club is on the right in the picture. The protected area on the right serves as a nursery for small fish and GT's, Barracudas and LadyFish come in to spawn.

What the GT's do in hide in the rocks in the stone breaker and wait in ambush. When they do that what I do is cast my lure about 4 - 5 feet away from the breaker and bring it along the breaker, parallel, about 1 - 2 feet away.

Sometimes if one misses then a little while later the second one hits. Below is a closeup of what it looks like at the bottom of the breaker. You can see the gaps in the Rocks. That's me landing a Ladyfish.

Here is a picture of a GT I did not know I had, taken in the way described above. Take a note at the lure in its mouth. It's the very same one!

It would be nice to see pictures of the terrain you are fishing in so I could judge better. Maybe that would bring something to light that has been missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:02 pm 
Fishaholic

HI LF /Bobby,
Does Halco make cut plugs ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

I tried to take pictures of that jetty, but as my camera did not have any zoom out I couldn't get a better picture of it. I will try to post it here once I develop the film and take a print (I don't have a digi cam).

By the way, nice pictures and nice fish. Here the water is not as clear as it is in the picture you have posted. The sea is rough most of the times and the GTs I saw here were in very dark grey colour compared to the one in that picture.

Owen, here is a link http://www.halcotackle.com that is all I know about halco lures for now.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen/F,

Yes Halco do make cut plugs and those should work pretty OK on GT's.

The GT I posted on the top was caught near a corral reef, the water was teaming with coralline fish, that is why it is so clear.

Even the area where the second GT was taken in Hong Kong has a lot of corralling fish there like damsels etc. So yes the water is clean, when they started to built that Fu^%&$g Disney Land there the dredging etc did some serious environmental damage, we could see streams of red water in the current. I have not fished after Disney Land was built so I do not know the extent of damage it has done.

GTs get darker grey on the top as the mature. The ones in the pictures are not very large.

Do these GT’s stay in the area all the time or come in and go with the tides?

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Do these GT’s stay in the area all the time or come in and go with the tides?

Bobby,

The GTs are not there all the time, they come in and go with the tides like you said.

Regards,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I tried those Halco Roosta Poppers today, they cast well, make big splash, can be retrieved faster. I went there at 08:00 AM today, there were not much fish, but GTs were breaking the surface may be once in 10 minutes. I was working my new popper, as usuall nothing hit my plug. But there was a difference today, at about 12:00 PM, I saw a GT chasing a mullet and bought my lure (which was a couple of yards beyond him in coincidence) toward him and he took it immediately. But to my bad luck, the line snaped when I tried to set the hook. The line got a lot of beating from the barnacles when I was busy picking backlashes. The popper did cast well, but very uncertain and hence a lot of birds nest.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey LF .. keep at it .... use a wire trace of around 3 feet ... also you dont necessarily need to set the hook ... the GT will hook itself once it takes .. also dont keep casting ..wait for the feed and then cast in the dierection the fish is moving ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

Step in the right direction.

I would not use wire trace unless absolutely necessary. Try using heavy Spider-wire instead or about 50lb mono. Wire trace will reduce your strike rate.

What is the dia of your the main line you are using? Also what is the breaking strain?

Regards,

Boby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Fredfish and Bobby,

I was using .45 mm mono main line and .60 mm mono shock leader which I bought from a local tackle shop. Now I have respooled my reel with the same but new line (.45 mm mono). I have now bought .70 mm mono and have it about 15 yards in my reel as the leader, that is the part which takes a lot of beating from the barnacles.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

With .45 line you do not need a shock leader. I suggest using 2 strands of 80 or 100 lb spidewire or even fireline braided together at about 5ft in length as your leader.

If that was your first hit that you described, you need to learn how to pick your lure out of the water skillfully without nicking the Line.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi LF,

With .45 line you do not need a shock leader. I suggest using 2 strands of 80 or 100 lb spidewire or even fireline braided together at about 5ft in length as your leader.

If that was your first hit that you described, you need to learn how to pick your lure out of the water skillfully without nicking the Line.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Regards,

Bobby

Thanks Bobby,

I have previously had couple of hits from a barracuda and a GT but missed hookups. But with this one the line snapped, else I would have been spooled by a big one :lol:

I pick my lures with care but the line abbrasion was occuring when I had to pull the line out of my reel to pickup birdsnest. Casting that damn Roosta Poppers is causing a lot of birds nest in my reel due to its very uncertain flight. I never had so much of a problem with other lures. As the butt of the lure is flattened it suddenly dives into the water anytime during the flight and causes overruns in my reel.

By the way, I am 24 years old. Does it have something to do with catching fish :?:

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

If you are getting hit by barracudas then you need wire trace. However, please reconfirm, the cudas were hitting poppers!? If so it is very surprising.

Spinning and surfcasting it is better to use fixed spool reels because of the very problems you are facing. Constant change in lures and adjusting the reel to accommodate for that just does not catch my fancy. Then fishing on shore you have to compensate for the wind sometimes.

Switch your reels and it will make you life easier, you will spend more time fishing and less time with your avian fancies :lol:

Just trying to judge you better so I asked your age, was planning to ask your height, weight, middle name etc etc next … :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep at it mate, you will achieve success, catching a mahseer is a lot easier than these buggers..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobby,
Wish it were as easy as you think!
How many mahseer have you caught till date matey?

Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:29 am 
Fishaholic

None, did not even try for one for want of time more than anything else.

Most of my salty mates who have tried, caught quite a few on their first attempt and did not rate them as high as most salt water fish. Now they did not say that they were poor fish, quite to opposite in fact but were found wanting when compared to sea fish. One thing is glaring though none of them who went after Mahseer were unsucessful first time round.

That is why every time I want to go after a Mahseer I am swaded to after their salt water cousins, tougher and harder.

I know you Mahseer boys have a sort of a cult following, so I did not mean to be insulting or anything.

I would suggest you try catching a Ravas (Thready) or a Barra, the amount of time it will take for you to just make contact only will tell you a few things about that fish.

I in turn must make at least one trip for Mahseer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

I would love to do some sea fishing, just making the time is the problem. Infact i love fishing mate, whatever the fish, so i will probably be hooked on sea fishing too.

The river is just a couple of hours from home, and all you need is one visit to get hooked to the place, let alone fishing for mahseer.

Twenty + years at it and i will never tire of fishing for mahseer. I don't even think about catching the small ones, i am just after the giants. So when people say that they have caught mahseer, they need to be talking big fish. I doubt that anyone who has caught a mahseerof over 50lbs will ever complain about the fight the fish put up, or compare it to any other fish.

I don't really think it is fair to compare a fresh water fish to a salt water species, but then if you like those comparisons, so be it.

Bye for now, i am off fishing
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your very candid view. I completely appreciate what you are saying.

Like you living next to a river I lived near the sea, literally within 2 minutes walking distance. So I took up to what was conveniently available and that is why I prefer fishing in salt water.

Having gone that route already I stuck, I compare fish pound for pound and so it is very easy to sway me towards the salt besides when you are talking monsters, they do not grow any larger than they do in the sea. Landing a 50lb GT is something else, I did not weigh the largest GT I caught but it must have been close to 50lbs, may be more. I was trolling for Marlin so it hit the 80lb tackle and it was pulling me off my seat, I have it on tape, no stills of that unfortunately.

Fishing more with lures than anything else, getting the fish to strike is 50% success already, landing the fish is the other 50%, so a small fish also gives me a lot of pleasure, but I would be a hypocrite if I said that size does not matter.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

I had a missed hit from a Barracuda only once. I was using a sinking popper with a very slow retrieve that day, so that it swims just below the surface of the water and that was when I got a hit from a Cuda. But I am sure that Cudas take poppers. I will post a link here after some time which has videos of barracudas and GT fishing, the cudas were after those Yozuri surface bull popper (Underwater camera).

I am better off with a conventional setup, only those roosta poppers was so much of a problem, but today I was casting them without any issues. I use only Non-Level Wind conventional reels for so many reasons including personal preference (even during night fishing), I am now used to it and like it a lot. But the only thing is that I don't catch anything, which I hope will change soon.

Now coming to the most intresting part, I hooked a GT today morning that should probably be well over 20 pounds and had a fight for five minutes (That animal was so strong). Then I pulled the hooks off the fish and lost it. As I told before that the fish were not taking lures, today I was trying a different technique. I will cast my lure (popper) to the critical strike zone and then sit & wait. When a GT is chasing mullets on the surface of the water then I will rapidly reel in the popper along with those escaping mullets and the fish takes my lure. This actually worked in the place where I was fishing. I am quite sure that a GT when chasing a bait on the surface could barely see anything but something trying to escape from it.

I had the hooks replaced with 3/0 VMC trebles on the popper so as not to loose the fish, but still it happened. I think the GT was not properly hooked or something.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Best of luck LF, under the circumstances you fish, I thought the advise Fredfish gave you was very good, wait till they feed then have a go.

I found some pics of that Large GT I spoke about, will post them tomorrow from my other PC, I dont like the pics, you will see why, but will post never the less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:47 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Waiting for the pics. I have to learn to make those GTs come and take my presentation.

As per your suggestion I will go with the Rapala X Rap and the Eel Punt Poppers. But for now I will use the technique of bringing the popper close to the feeding fish. I slightly feel like snagging the fish when I do this, but it works great anyway. I went to the harbour today and there was no action.

Check these videos.
http://www.videospin.it/video.htm

The below one is not a GT but a good one too.
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UT ... 2Btrevally

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

Saw one of the videos, was really good, will take a closer look at those fish, look something like queenfish but they are not.

Here are those pictures:

This is the Largest GT I caught, did not weigh the fellow, but he would be around 50lbs or more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

That's a real monster you have caught, it sure would have taken an hour to land that fish. Thanks for sharing.

One more intresting thing was that, the fish with which I had a fight for five minutes a couple of days back gave a few powerfull initial jerks and held my line tight...very tight. The fish neither did make a fast run nor I couldn't move the fish an inch (that one was so strong). Even if I loosen my drag, it didn't make a fast run. If I didn't see the fish I might have thought I hooked a grouper.

By the way, the fish in that video is a leerfish and the video was shot in Italy.
There are some nice videos in the other link in my previous post.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hye Bobster ... whens youre bday .. need to get you a original Nash ... thats a fishermans weighing scale ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:01 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

What you have described above is typical GT fight. They either Smash your lure or bump n grab it like a barramundi pause and then run.

The GT in the pictures fought real hard but it was a no contest considering it was on 80lb tackle, still, the rod was strapped onto me with a kidney harness and I was sitting down, the guy was pulling me off the seat. I have it on video. He was one tough bugger...

Fred,

Birthday is on the 24th Feb (next month), thanks for the thoughtful gift, where do you want to send the scale, to Hong Kong or Bombay? Please let me know I will send you the appropriate address. Try and get me an original, dont like the copy thingies..

And since you are such in expert in weights and measures dept..
What do you think these fish weigh Fred? And are they the same? Dont let the lure fool you..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

The one you are holding looks like a 25lb Baramundi to me Bobby. Both fish look about the same size to me, but i am not sure if they are of the same species.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Owen, let's see what our expert Fred has to say.

Fred, would be nice if you could post that picture of that 80lb or so GT you showed me mate...the one that your friend caught at VDurg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Both in the 15 - 18 lbs range Bobs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Excellent Fred, 14lbs...

Now please post you 80lb GT..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:21 pm 

hi bob and fred u both r good fishermen and i have known u for a long time, ,but things have changed now, but freddy ,sad to read your comment about the weighing scale .freddy from Chimbai fishing village .u r the same famous freddy v knew 20 years ago ,guys like sanu,nd,ab ,pankaj maria would always say that if u catch a fish ,give it to freddy ,and by the time he takes it home, it would become a big fish ,but freddy i saw the fish u posted the big kobia ,that was cool i heard that three of u pulled the fish in great mate that was a good catch my friend ,my prayer has always been that ',Lord GIVE SUCH A BIG FISH ,THAT I DONT HAVE TO LIE TO MY FRIENDS 'and basically we all fish to relax and enjoy the time as said by a wise man 'THE WORST DAY OF FISHING ,IS BETTER THEN THE BEST DAY AT WORK 'SO FRIENDS LETS ENJOY AND DO WHAT U ALL DO THE BEST ,freddy and bob hope to c some great pictures of yur recent catch
P S freddy there r plenty of fish in mumbai u should know the spots ,ask your friend Pankaj Maria he has caught a lot of fish at Manori with Desmond of Orlem and they r still catching

Post subject: Amazin catch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:33 pm 
Fishaholic

hi,
catch looks amazin. wish i could be there around.
rgds
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:35 pm 
Fishaholic

GT Picture left at the lodge buddy .. will take a DG picture the next time im there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

No mate, you had the picture of the GT on your lap top when I was over at your place :wink: remember?

I am off to Phuket tomorrow. I found a very nice tackle shop walking distance from where I live. Bought a small telescopic and smuggled it in my baggage along with a reel and some lures :lol: :lol:

Hope I get a chance to fish!!