[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
new to fishing with a rod and reel - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:32 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Please PM to Indianangler..

He have some good stuff....

Happy Fishing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Post subject: THANK U FRIENDS
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: ya got it
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 pm 

hi rai
fishing for mullets is not easy and even not tough
you need micro hooks i mean smallest hook you can get
and 1 or 2lb mono .10mm
mullets takes 99% in worms
bite of mullet almost undetectable so only very thin line to detect bite well
only in many practise you can master it
if mullet start biting you get plenty in lines

Post subject: Re: THANK U FRIENDS
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: reel
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:38 am 

Post subject: gear ratio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:37 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:17 am 

Finding threadfins only 50mtrs away, must say you are really lucky ! Whenever I hit those waters, these guys tease me from far at the horizon. Anyway for you, try to cast the halco twisty jigs past the spot where they are feeding i.e. the jigs should ideally land a few mtrs ahead of the area where the mullets are flying. As soon as the jig hits the water, start reeling in, such that the jig skims on top of the water creating a good trail as it comes in; normally these feeing threadfins then hit these jigs. Having said that, I have caught them while doing the normal shore jigging method - where you let the jig sink after it hits the water and retrieve it keeping it under the water itself, but this works mostly when the feeding/action is minimal; you know that these guys are there, but they don't come up.

If you notice occasional feeding on the surface, I suggest you try the "surface jigging" method described above only at those feeing frenzies, i.e. cast the lure only at the right moment you see the feeding. If you observe no feeding at all, try the "underwater jigging" ! Instead of the halco jigs, you can try other jigs, stick baits etc because you never know what might work at different times.

For the techniques described above, actually your gear ratio is good. A gear ratio in simple terms mean how many times the spool rotates when you finish a single crank of the reel handle or just how fast you can crank the line back onto the spool Eg, 5.2:1 means for every full crank of the reel handle, the spool rotates 5.2 times reeling the line in. Faster ratios are normally found on smaller size reels like 5 or below, slower ratios on larger reels and as a general thumb of rule, slower ratios are good for spinning using lures etc and faster ratios for jigging, trolling and similar techniques. Faster/smaller gives more speed where as slower/larger gives more power per crank.

To place the jig/lure at the desired distance at the desired spot is a key factor, to achieve it, use a very balanced system, i.e. match the lure weight with what is specified on the rod you are using. A 9-10ft med action rod, 20-30lb braid with 1mtr leader, 2-3 oz jig/lure would be a good beginner setup I reckon. Hit the beach and practice the casting as much as you can to fine tune the distance/placement.

Good luck !

Post subject: LURE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:56 pm 

I have seen the bruiser combo and it is not so bad and quite adequate for the fishing here. I believe it is just that one needs to practice how effectively they can use the gear they have rather going after fancy ones.

I am no expert in salmon or for that matter angling itself, I explained whatever little I know and how I have tried. As you say, your fellow anglers suggested the way to cast, it is better to follow them. I have not been to Munambam in a while, so if is the place you are trying, there are scores of salmon anglers waiting on the rocks for the fish to break the waters ! I would say, observe how they are casting, retrieving, the jig/lure they are using etc and just follow them. Also there are other species in the water which you should try, which are more tricky and fun.

Post subject: lure
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm 

hi.........now have some wat mastered the casting tech............any idea u can suggest for lure which r more succesfull in Indian shores like the red heads and fire tiger.....i have used the fire tiger but haven't landed any...........no body i have seen here doin jigs but all metals spoons and lures only.......which is the best for snappers

Post subject: fish
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:44 pm 

Thanks a lot friends ............with all your expert guidance now in my first ever fish caught on lure ..................the day began early ...i was casting in a deep jetty ...place with more big game fish but my lure was for goin up to a depth of only 1 metre...so was not able to get to were the fish was .....so i moved my location to more shallow waters......and to my surprise with my first cast on the shall water i hooked a 2 pound grouper......and it was all then pleasant surprises .....lure fishing is so good............caught some few small groupers but released all only took my 2 pound trophy fish....... happy fishing guys....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:34 pm 

Congratulations on the first.

Over here in Kochi, I have had most success with redhead coloured lures. It could rather be from any brand, what I think most affects is the action, retrieval speed, dive depth or basically altogether how you present the lure.

The jigs I meant are actually metal spoons itself, silver colored works the best for threadfins as far as I have experienced.

Redhead is a must have, apart from which you may get these colors - firetiger, hot tiger or yellow red combo, green and gold combo, chrome/gold with black combo. Also look for 3D color patterns which are equally good. Of the brands halcos work out cheaper and durable, pioneer, bomber, rapala, yozuri, shimano etc are few other very good brands.

Especially groupers, barramundis go for very slow and sedate retrieves, rest of the species I think medium speed retrieve are ok.

Post subject: lure
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:21 pm 

..yes now have started collecting lures...........i landed the grouper in fire tiger lure.......and as u said i have been using the slow retrieve and its more effective.......i dont have a red head but .. heard so its a good lure....... now i am collecting different spoons coz the place were fish is very far from jetty need to cast along way..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 pm 

Post subject: LURE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:05 pm 

Post subject: fishing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:33 pm