->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Ledgering
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 am 

Hi All,
Just learning a bit about ledgering, have the following doubts:
-Have tried ledgering witha spiral lead weight about 1 foot from the hook and atta/ragi bait.How ever, some dia I've seen lately on the net show a lead weight fixed a short distance from the eye of the hook.
-What is not mentioned is ; does the hook bait include the weight in it ? or do I leave the lead ball-in this case an LG size ball- OUT and mold the hook bait around the hook ONLY?
There are a couple of other variations about ledgering, the line dia I've seen are quite understandable to a novice like me and If I have problems adapting, will shout for help!
Thanks in advance
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:27 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Eljefe,
I guess you're talking about a bolt rig.

The idea is; a weight sufficient to pull the hook home is set as close to the hook as possible. To maximise this, you would usually use a bait that allows the hook point to be clear.
In the UK, we are often not allowed to use a hooklink shorter than 12" because it can snap easier and also has the potential to cause mouth damage to the fish.Without a doubt, a shorter hooklink leads to more hooked fish, with a length of 2-3" being ideal. There needs to be a little room for movement so a fish can pick up the bait without feeling the weight. Once inside the mouth, the sooner the hookpoint catches in the mouth, the better. This causes the fish to bolt (hence the name) and the hook is pulled home against the weight.
Mounting the bait on a hair rig is the perfect partner to this presentation, or if the bait is hooked directly, the point must be clear of the bait so it can prick the mouth of the fish.

A weight that is concentrated is usually better for this method. A sphere is the ideal shape, but some use a square-shaped lead as it stays still on the bottom better. Normal bomb-shaped leads are pretty good as well, but a spiral or flat lead would mainly be used where there is a high concentration of fish and you need the line pinned to the bottom to stop line bites.
River fishing is another area where you might use spiral or flat leads, in a bid to combat the current.

When fishing a bolt rig, you must hold onto the rod, as the fish will tear off once hooked. The bites are what British carp anglers call screamers! Another alternative is to use a very soft rod, and set it at an angle to the water, in fact almost parallel to the bank, so the rod bends as a fish takes.

I would suggest that the fish in your waters are not so heavily fished for that you need to use a bolt rig. A simple running leger rig is perfectly acceptable, but the fish will need a bit of free line to give a decent bite.
Having the line running through a spiral or flat lead can cause resistance to a taking fish, which will then drop the bait. Swap to a bomb, where the line runs through a swivel at the top. This will allow the fish to take the bait with confidence, thus giving a better bite.
The best step to take if the fish are becoming wary of baits is to swap to a hair rig. This allows the fish to take the bait, but when they reject it, the hook stays inside the mouth, and they give the bite as they try to move off.

Good that you're thinking so deeply about your fishing 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:47 am 

Thanks Steve,
Problem is I latched on late and am doing my best -NOT to catch up, but take it real easy.There have been times when I toss the line in without a hook and 'fish' :lol:
Easy to recommend, hard to keep up :wink:
great info, will definitely try/ improvise and rant/rave next
best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Steve,

I have often thought of trying out other rigs, but find that the simplest fixed lead on the main line which is tied directly to the hook still outfoxes most of our fish. However i can see that our wasi lakes are going to be taking a lot of stick in the days to come, and it would be time to change tactics.

You obviously know about the anti snag rigs that encorporates a submerged float to be used in waters with boulders etc. I would love to try this on the Kaveri, but am worried about the effect that submerged float will have on the fish in the area. It is obviously going to be swaying around in the current and look more like a "don't come anywhere near me sign". Any thoughts on that ?

Another thing that we anglers in India seem to have grown up with, is to ensure that no part of the hook is exposed, and therefore "coverall with bait is practised", be it worm, particle or paste baits.

On the other hand you guys have no hesitation in leaving the entire hook exposed while fishing with boilies and even some particle baits.

I know that you will probably remind us about the use of spinners, plugs and other lures that have completely exposed hooks, but at least with lures we attempt to fool the fish, but you guys make no attempt to, and think more about what the bait and rig will feel like to the fish rather than what it looks like to the fish.
Regards
Owen