->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:54 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Ever since "the one that got away" got away, I am not getting any bites, plus every time I see a big fish splash in the river, I become nervous and my hands start shaking(after effects of the big fish ordeal)[smilie=shake.gif]

Anyways, I am thinking of experimenting with different baits and attractants used throughout the country by anglers plus a few ones I think might work.
hookBaits:
1. chappati
2. fermented rice mixed with atta
3. Pav (as Ken had suggested)
4. Green moss(as manish, lakhyaman and trancer suggested)
5. konda with atta( don't know its available here)
6. boiled or cut veggies like corn, radish etc.

liquid Attractants:
as groundbait wouldnt work because the water is flowing, I was thinking of trying to lure the fish to a particular spot with liquid attractants, either mixed with the hookbait, or directly dispersed into the river water at regular intervals...
fermented and strong smelling stuff

This is what I need help on guys... have went through numerous posts about calbasu feeding, and most of the time it was said they are atttracted to fermented and strong smelling stuff.
I can't do groundbaiting or making the fish accustomed to a particular bait by throwing food for a long period, because I only get one off in a week...
:roll:
I shall overcome(calbasu), someday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

What is another name for 'Calbasu'? Try keeping the bait in a bait feeder in the place where you plan to fish. This will provide a supply of food for several days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

labeo calbasu/khalbouse/kanusi/kanas... That might not work here as the river is flowing and will again flow even more during the heavy rains which are almost at our doorstep...
the bait feeder is a good idea, but would work in a river where the current is very slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:27 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:55 pm 
Konda with atta is any of your flour brands like P****bury, A***purna - there is lots of husk in them. Look in particular for the extra fibre brands.

Truth to tell, you are missing your vocation as a master chef. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 pm 
Fishaholic

http://pdfdownloadfree.net/?pdfurl=1qeX ... otjJ1pSk6w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:54 pm 
Quick, someone grab that mouse away from Omesh before Bops sues him for spam. :)

This is the 3rd thread he has attacked with the same link. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

bobtheangler wrote:
Quick, someone grab that mouse away from Omesh before Bops sues him for spam. :)

This is the 3rd thread he has attacked with the same link. :)

well if sharing some real good information is attacking a thread I guess many people should be sued.

Regardless,

Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:37 pm 
Just kidding, dear Omesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

bobtheangler wrote:
Just kidding, dear Omesh.

Well I really felt as though your attacking me..... i'm relieved since you've mentioned your only kidding.

Cheers,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:10 pm 
Never, I can even dream of taking a potshot at you. You are a very dedicated angler. God bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

hi bob !
long time man... hows the fishing going ? I thought konda was some kind of fermented drink... or is it fermented rice husk ? because I was browsing through a community and saw one guy who had uploaded a picture of a 4 kg calbasu "caught on atta mixed with konda "...

Hi Omesh,
thanks for the link...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:58 pm 
Enlightened

Hi All

Omesh:
brilliant link. High intensity experiments will now be conducted to ensure species specific mixes on my own heavily stocked lake for Catla, Rohu, Mrigala, and Calbasu.

Raka,
If the river is in flood then it is likely to be difficult to catch Calbasu. Wait until the water clears after the monsoon. Thats when we fish for them in rivers here (Bangladesh). Whether you fish for them paternoster style using algae or on the bottom (Ali's cage feeder rig is effective) using paste, alwayss look for structure (sunk branches, rocks, pilings etc.) and fish near them. Hook and HOLD. Do not let the fish get into structure. A long limber float rod (UK style) will help you in this allowing you to play the fish off the rod itself without giving line. Its not the best way to play a fish but if you want to keep it out of any structure where you will surely lose it, then it is the only way.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi lakhyaman,

Thanks a lot for the info...
The heavy rains havent yet arrived. The water is still greenish, but the flow and water level has increased. the only problem is that float fishing doesn't work in fast currents and the ledger rig gets snagged in the rocks... there are lots of rock structures for khalbouse to feed on. The One that got away actually did that. he rubbed my hybrid line against the rocks and made it weak... From then on I have tying a leader when I fish. The paternoster might work. Will try that rig this week... Thanks Again bro ... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:57 pm 
[quote="raka"]hi bob !
long time man... hows the fishing going ? I thought konda was some kind of fermented drink... or is it fermented rice husk ? because I was browsing through a community and saw one guy who had uploaded a picture of a 4 kg calbasu "caught on atta mixed with konda "...

Konda is rice husk. I dunno what they call wheat husk. At Tata Power Walwan, they feed the captive mahseer konda mixed with peanut oil cake. Konda has a nice rich fragrance of its own. Konda off the South Indian parboiled rice can be smelled a mile away by us humans (leave alone fish). It smells even greater when kept moist for a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Rakesh,

It is really heartening to see you experimenting and targeting specific fish. Here is a bit of advice that if you want to catch a Kalabose, more than the bait, you should have a fish specific rig. Out of all Major Carps of India, Kalabose has the smallest mouth so the first thing one wants is that the hooks should be really small. I recommend as small as size #10 hooks. One more thing, using exotic ingredients in a river system where there is no angling pressure may decrease your chances of catch. I will recommend more natural bait. If you use, critically balanced setup with moss on your hook, and let it drift with the current, experimenting on different depth, starting with near the surface, I am sure, you will catch your elusive fish..

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:27 pm 
That is awesome advice, Alibhai.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All,

Thank you for the advice on Kalabose as thats the fish raka is targetting, while all this knowledge is being shared, I was wondering the merits of Drop shot rigs in a river with pretty decent current as the rains have now arrived.
A few questions I have about this technique/rig are:-
1. since the weight is at the end of the line, would using a float work as a bite would move the sinker.... which is at the end of the line and the float.... will it go down or not?
2. how many inches above the sinker should the palomar knot be tied and the hook be placed. The few online sources says the best is 16-20 inches, however can be placed more close to the sinker if we can see fish feeding at the bootom. With the rain and the current I doubt I'd be able to see the bottom so can there be more than one hook placed like one 6-8 inches from the sinker and the other 16-20 inches?
3. Which hook size is best in this method and what bait would be best!
4. A question for further experimentation later is that can a feeder rig be used combined with this rig?
5. Will fish like kalabose/kanusi/rohu/catla be able to take this rig?
6. Ground baiting again if we mix a decent amound of mud with the ground bait and target a apecific area will it become a familiar feeding ground for the fish despite the current? as the mud would still take the bait to the bottom of the river!

If anyone has any input on the same and has used this rig ever before! Please share some information!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm 
Fishaholic

bobtheangler wrote:
Konda is rice husk. I dunno what they call wheat husk. At Tata Power Walwan, they feed the captive mahseer konda mixed with peanut oil cake. Konda has a nice rich fragrance of its own. Konda off the South Indian parboiled rice can be smelled a mile away by us humans (leave alone fish). It smells even greater when kept moist for a few days.

hmm the south indian parboiled rice, the puffy one... my mom said its boiled with the husks still intact and then the rice is seperated from the husks when cooked... yes the fragrance is strong. can work... Thanks bob ! :D

Hi alibhai,
Thanks for the suggestions. A lot of dry days next month, will be trying that time... I wanted to know more about khalbouse feeding behaviour... already know they feed on algae from rocks, flowing or no flowing water. they are bottom feeders. please add anything more you might have observed about their feeding...

Hi Omesh,
is the drop shot rig and paternoster rig same in design ? I am planning to use paternoster for the flowing waters, and as the lead weight I will be using a heavier weight, which will stay put at a particular spot... the float will act as a indicator of the position of the rig.

I have no idea about other points, so will leave it to the experts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 pm 
Enlightened

Omesh

To use a float on a paternoster you would have to attach it top and bottom. You would need a pretty substantial float which would have to be fished with the rod tip propped up high to keep the line attached to the top of the float out of the flowing water. A slight bow in the line with a properly adjusted fixed or stopped float would certainly allow it to sink if a fish took the bait. However the bite can easily be detected on the rod tip. Fishing from anchored boats I have seen rods pulled in before unwary anglers could react. However the usual bite is a rapid vibrating tap tap tap on the tip. Strike and hold.

Regarding using a feeder, I have often stuffed old style tube feeders with "Bengal mix" and used these as the weight at the end of the line. The mix if made of the right consistency stays in the tube but gives out a lot of scent to attract the fish. However if the fish are where you are fishing it is not necessary.

I preferred to fish with a single hook (size 6 limerick of stout wire) as this avoided tangles in the structure especially after hooking a fish. Also I just think it is more sporting and less likely to injure the fish but the ethics is for you to decide. My usual depth was approximately a foot above the sinker. The hook length was about six inches. Use a weaker link to the sinker and if it becomes snagged while playing a hooked fish the sinker will break off and leave you still attached to the fish.

I strongly suggest you use a long flexible rod and don't try to fish too far out. Bait in my case was either algae or bread paste mixed with ants eggs.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:08 pm 
Enlightened

Sorry double post (second time i've done that).

Last edited by lakhyaman on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you very much Lakhyaman! this means this rig is going to be used soon and the brilliant Idea of using a feeder instead of a sinker makes it even more tempting to use!

Thanks again! I understand a float is not completely necessary!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Raka, you should try u-tube and see float fishing on a river
the river trent in england is a good example
we used to fish that mighty river with either feeder or stick float
now the with stick float the shot was put on the line like the buttons on a shirt
and the float fished off the end of your twelve foot rod... it pulled the line off your reel as it danced its way down the current you just willed it to disappear then you struck...the float is held in place with two rubbers, which allows you to keep altering the depth simply by sliding the float either up or down your line
get a loaf and liquidize it saving the two ends for hookbait as the crusts are easy to hook... dampen the bread crumbs from the liquidiser... and pinch some between finger and thumb and toss it into the current as far out as your float is travelling...
and always remember that the times you dont catch
make the times you do, so much sweeter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 pm 

what is "konda" ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

bobtheangler describes it as 'rice husk' therefore it will be more of
a carrier than a food supply i would imagine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:27 pm 

Trancer, it is actively used in fish feed here. The mahseers at Tata Power are grown exclusively on a diet of peanut oil cake and rice husk. This is mixed and extruded through a pellet maker and dried and gulped down by the fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:18 pm 
Enlightened

I an tired of trying for Calbasu. I kind of get pissed off when I see them splashing around. Got no clue how to get a strike :x