->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Telescopic or Take apart
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

I know this is repeat of the "travel rod" subject on which dibu has been most helpful, but i need some definite advice on one specific point:

If one has to choose between a telescopic travel rod comprising of 10 sections and a take apart travel rod comprising of 6 sections, which should one opt for? Both are of carbon composite material, identical in length (8 feet) and both have a casting weight of 10-30 gms.

Could the experienced help the novice here ?

hawkeye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hawkeye,

There are a couple of things to consider here:

1) A 10 section will fold smaller and so perhaps it will give you more packing options.

2) A 6 section rod will be larger (longer) when folded, but it will be stronger given there are fewer joints.

If it were between these two, I would go with the 6 section rod. Perhaps another thing would be the number of guides, do you want more or less?

However, I reiterate, I would go with the 6 section rod.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:47 pm 
Fishaholic

I dont know ! How is that important ? The 6 section take apart has 6 guides, while the 10 section telescopic has 8. There is another 6 section take apart available with 8 guides.
Is it better to have more or less guides ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Put very simply, if you are spinning with an fixed spool reel, lesser guides. A fixed spool reel is what I would expect you to use with a telescopic. More guides would hinder casting (distance) with a fixed spool reel. A rod with fewer sections and lesser guides would make a better all-purpose rod.

The question about less or more guides being better depends on a number of factors. Sorry to have brought it up and confuse you further (if I did).

I would not break my head so much over a travel rod (telescopic), I would go with the one with fewer guides/sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:04 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Hawkeye,

I would agree to Bobby that the 8 Section telescopic rod would be better for travelling, but -same as him- I still would prefer the 6 section rod as it should have a more balanced action and as it should be stronger and more resistable against breakage.

I would even go further and my favourite would be the pictured Shimano EXAGE STC 210. At a length of 2.10 m/10-30gr CW it got only 4 sections. The transport length is 57 cm when packed loose and 66 cm when you use the Shimano rod tube which is coming together with this item. In my opinion still very much OK for all kinds of travelling.

The shorter the transport length/number of section... the bigger the compromise in regards of strenth and a well balanced rod action.

Opposite to Bobby I wouldn't care too much for the number of guides -as long as the rod is decently guided...these Shimanos are- as I would anyhow use a fixed spool spinning reel for such a light rod. Spincaster multipliers are not really common in Germany and need some practise till your able to cast small lures and other rigs well.

Dirk

the rod I'd prefer for the funfishing discribed by hawkeye

a selection of Shimano travel rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby and Dibu !
No confusion at all, in fact you have definitely helped me in my decision making.
To cut things short I have decided to ask for the Shimano exage 240 stc - it allows 2 lengths at 8 and 9 feet and can cast upto 45 gms and has a transport length of 56 cms .... that should fit in a regular bag during air travel... and I shouldn't be caught short of power in case I hook a larger fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Look at the Ron Emersons Travel rods .. They are real good .. I have a couple of them and they ae dynamite .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi everyone,

How di I get the shimano or the ron emersons?

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

Go for the multi section travel rod instead of the tele.
Teles have a bad habit of getting their sections twisted up when you apply sidestrain on a fish, rings go out of alignment and the damn thing squats on itself at the most critical time, especially whan you have the tip high to land the fish.
Go for the small Exage- I used a friends' last season, landed a 34lb true golden (putitora) after a hectic 30min tussle (on a small gold-green mackerel Magnum by Rapala) in murky water (month of May, flash rain, clearing water, great fun with artificials) with no probs but much anxiety. Can't say how to get your hnds on one, tho'. Regulars may advise...

Cheers,
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:38 am 
Fishaholic

apoo wrote:
Hi everyone,

How di I get the shimano or the ron emersons?

Cheers,
Apoo

Hi Apoo,

You can order them from online shops in the U.K. such Fosters of Birmingham or from Thai Fishing Guide. The customs duty is approx. 17.5%

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:42 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Go for the small Exage- I used a friends' last season, landed a 34lb true golden (putitora) after a hectic 30min tussle.

Vedan,

Was it the seven footer, since that's the smallest in their freshwater spinning range?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:52 am 
Fishaholic

Ordering them by mail from UK is possible but not at all cost effective. The exage travel rods cost around 50 UK pounds but they charge 90 UK pounds for shipping to india !!! Best is to have someone get them over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

I will let the pictures do the talking.

[img][img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/RHB65/DSCN1138.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/RHB65/DSCN1140.jpg[/img][/img]

The parcel consisted of the following:

1) 7' 2-piece rod.
2) Shimano Baitrunner Long Cast.
3) Plano 4700 tackle box.

Items were sent via air not surface mail and the postage came to GBP 51.15 as can be seen on the top right hand corner of the customs declaration form stuck to the box.

An Exage rod tube shouldn't cost more than 20 odd quid. Failing which you can buy it from TFG who charge approximately Rs.2000.00

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:41 pm 
Fishaholic

If seven people paid me £50 each to bring a rod for them, that would pay my entire airfare!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:23 pm 
Fishaholic

How about 10 for an Exage for Hawkeye? ;)

It will pay for the bus fare. :mrgreen:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

50 quid postage is still a no no.
My exage will hopefully arrive in a couple of weeks thanks to visiting in-laws. Who knows, maybe they could be generous too... and I could claim a christmas gift :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Quote:
Go for the small Exage- I used a friends' last season, landed a 34lb true golden (putitora) after a hectic 30min tussle.

Vedan,

Was it the seven footer, since that's the smallest in their freshwater spinning range?

Rustam

Bana sa just checked up on the rod in question. It was a 310 MH and not the 210. Sorry Apoo. Nice rod, though- sensitive but good backbone. Reel mounted was a Shimano Aero Baitrunner 6000, spooled with 12lb Trilene Big Game.

cheers

v.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vedan,

If it was a MH rod then it must have been a 270. Failing which a 330 H. There are no 310s as far as I know.

Was the reel an Aero Baitrunner RE or Aero Baitrunner GTE/B?

If it was the former, I'd like to know what you thought about it.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Hi Vedan,

If it was a MH rod then it must have been a 270. Failing which a 330 H. There are no 310s as far as I know.

Was the reel an Aero Baitrunner RE or Aero Baitrunner GTE/B?

If it was the former, I'd like to know what you thought about it.

Thanks.

Rustam

Well it was the 10' job which went 11' after the extra section was fixed- that should be 270 the.
The reel was the Aero RE, rear drag. Very nice ree- well made, sleeker than the usual eggbeaters. Line capacity not the same as a GTE/B. Good for summer work on the Ramganga, especially if you spool it with superbraid for backing, topped off with a hunner yards of trilene Big Game. Good drag on it, too. Adjusts predictably in the course of a tussle.

Cheers,
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vedan,

Sounds like 330 but with MH power. Not in the present catalogue but could be an earlier model.

Thanks for the opinion on the reel. Will definitely help when deciding on a carping reel.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:52 pm 
Fishaholic

IMHO, the Aero Baitrunner GTX RE, 8000 or 10000 with it's complement of spools would be just about the only carp reel one could keep, unless you take other spices in your curry. Spooled in the same way (100m of 20lb mono over 250 of 30lb superbraid) would give you all the line you need for the longest running fish (would a 40kg rohu make a 350m run? Or a 20kg one?). Smaller spools for smaller waters, or even some serious spinning. The Daiwa Fuego is surely a piece of art (used one for a fortnight in Garhwal on unsuspecting browns and rainbows. Amazing machine, very high feelgood factor. 14lb mahseer, too, on 6lb line, Alaknanda river (read heavy, deep, white water) but it doesn't come with a rear drag and can't hold enough line.
And, yeah, the 10000GTX is a great pahari spinning reel, too, hence the unforcedbias. Didn't crash in two seasons of gross abuse, even while landing a 68lber for a friend out the Sarju. Finally it was stolen...,

Cheers,
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:08 pm 

[/quote]

especially if you spool it with superbraid for backing, topped off with a hunner yards of trilene Big Game. Good drag on it, too. Adjusts predictably in the course of a tussle.

Cheers,
V.[/quote]
Vedan, Whats 'Backing' and 'topping off?'
100 yards of braid loaded first onto the reel, then mono? Didnt know such combo's were in use. Whats the logic? sorry, newbie qn!!
Help
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Jefe,

I use the mono+braid formula for all my pahari river needs. For spinning big snowfeds like the Ganga, I use a 25lb mono mainline backed with 150 m of 60lb superbraid (Fireline). My 8000 GTX Biomaster swallows around 180m of Trilene Big Game over 150 of Fireline. That's a lot more line than the 230 of 25 it usually takes.
The monofilament is for fighting and all your casting needs and backing to pull it all in, especially if you have a long running fish.
Using superbraid has several advantages-
- on eggbeater reels, it prevents mono compaction and associated damage to the spool (wind around 2 meters of mono around your finger and you'll know what I mean).
- you can pack in so much more line without investing in a bigger reel
- with mono at the front (100 m or whatever you topped up), you can fish reasonably rough water (its more abrasion resistant and shock absorbent)

On the 25 mono backed with 60lb braid, when I do have a really long line out, say, when drifting deadbait for mahseer, I don't need to worry about whether the unused coils of mono will take the strain or not. Even with a fish on a long way out, the mono acts as a shock absorber and the braid does the bullying.

Cheers,

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:53 pm 

Hokay Vedan!
Thanks a ton for that.You use the blood knot to join or...?
Will use when the time and oppurtunity comes...
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Jefe,

I use a modified Albright knot for the joint. Will be in Delhi on the 6th, will meet and show.

Cheers,
V.