->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Project Bream
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Well

Guys, i saw some videos of breams being caught with Hard Bodied lures in Australia.

I have caught countless breams on bait, but never on hard lures. So i thought this should be interesting.

So i looked around in Dubai for any lures i could find suitable for the task and managed to get two Yo-Zuri L minnows.

The lure specs are under:
Length = 66 mm
Weight =16 gms
Sinking.

Lure 1

Lure 2

Size Comparison With YoZuri 2012 3D Magnum Minnow 165mm

I will be casting these from a beach and bounce them on the bottom. The line will be 4lb mono. Lets see if these get the bream's attention.

Has any one targeted breams on lures before ? Will these lures be ok or i need to scale down to even smaller lures.

Any input will be welcome.

Tight Lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:43 am 
Fishaholic

If these are the same bream as the one's here , then there is no reason why your hard bodies will not work.. You may have to experiment with
different colours though.

If you are into soft plastics, then these would be another type to try on the bream. My suggestion would be motor oil colour or similar ( see the Gulp
Or Squidgy range) , as an added bonus these will also catch flathead.

Regards,
Kingfish

P.S. You may wish to reconsider the use of mono, bream are quite alert and we use braid with clear fluorocarbon leaders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:05 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Mate,

Yes those lures will work for sure. As kingfish mentions braid with a flouro leader will be the way to go. It will also be worth getting some deeper divers so you can cover all water layers. Soft plastics will also be devastating worked slowly along the bottom...twitch twitch stop and so on...

you will also need a suitable rod and reel to match the small lures..a 2500 reel matched with a bream rod and 10lb braid will do the trick..having the right combo will make all the difference to your fishing. The sensitivity will be there and it will be very enjoyable at the same time.

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 am 
Fishaholic

Kashaif,

If you wish to use hardbodies, one of the newest and very effective way that we use to catch bream is to use "blade" lures.

These are made of metal or polycarbonate and thus can be cast a fair distance on light gear, which may be difficult if you are using small hard
body minnow type lures on the beach on a windy day.

They work by vibrating intensely upon retrieval and catch a heck of a lot of fish of all types.

There are a number of manufacturers, although my preference is for those
made by TT Lures( metal) and Stiffy (polycarbonate),also the Sebile Flatt
Shad.

Just another arrow to add to your quiver, as it were.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks guy

Your inputs are really helpful. i will change the line to braid.

you guys are an inspiration.

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:40 am 
Fishaholic

Kingfish

I checked the TT switch blades. They are a little expensive. I was thinking to start with what is available locally and progress to these later. I am planning to get rapala flat shad deep diver its 4cm and pretty cheap on flea bay. I have also ordered some berkley gulp minnows which are on the way.

The gear I will will be using is a penn fierce 4000 reel, paired with a Shimano convergence spinning rod rated 1/4 to 1 oz. I think this is good enough to start with.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 am 
Fishaholic

Hassan,

Is it the subaity's you are after?

We were using all sorts and these breams gave a chase and followed most colors and sizes but never took a bite dont really know why. I tried rapala xrap 10 in blue as well as silver black and some rubber shads they followed everything that moved but no bites and on the other hand there were those beasts that bites after bites and no hook up and all we could say were damn heck oh shit missed it. Was fun lots a fun will head out next weekend as well. See you later today.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:52 am 
Fishaholic

Dezz no i am not talking about the Dentex. I was referring to these:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am 
Fishaholic

The only bream we have caught on lures in India were fluro green, done that a couple of times only, but always they were on fluro green lures, we were fishing for Mangrove Jacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:56 am 
Fishaholic

try the small polycarbonate blades .. king fish mentioned.. or the really small raps.. peanut size.. you'll have to stick some lead strip.. flattened out (from an aa battery) to let the sure sink more.. also small jigs with a clouser like pattern in as bobby mentioned ( fluro green / chartreuse) .. small prawn lures .. like the prawnstar... but you will need an ultra lite setup (rod reel combo) with 10 lb fireline and say 5 to 10 lb fluro leader. them bream are very skittish..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Mukhtiar,

Yes they are awesome when grilled :)

I just love them and the subaity as well.

Cheers- DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:37 pm 
Fishaholic

hamour wrote:
try the small polycarbonate blades .. king fish mentioned.. or the really small raps.. peanut size.. you'll have to stick some lead strip.. flattened out (from an aa battery) to let the sure sink more.. also small jigs with a clouser like pattern in as bobby mentioned ( fluro green / chartreuse) .. small prawn lures .. like the prawnstar... but you will need an ultra lite setup (rod reel combo) with 10 lb fireline and say 5 to 10 lb fluro leader. them bream are very skittish..

Hamour thats the best part. A bream on ultralight will give the same pleasure as fighting a big fish.

If you cant get a king make the smaller ones behave and fight like one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:37 am 
Fishaholic

.. bream are good fighters.. especially those subaity ones.. iv had some bruisers wrangle me.. when i was in the M.E. they love to stitch you up in the rocks.. the reason you need light line.. and light fluro leaders.. is coz they are very vary fish.. except when they big ones are in shoals rounding up bait fish.. in that condition you can have them on a popper as i once did.. (small popper).. the spiny black bream (palu) are much smaller..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 am 
Fishaholic

@Hamour

You wont believe Subaiti weighing more than 4.2 Kgs are being caught in RAK on regular basis these days. One of our IA memeber Afi caught one weighing around 4.2 (a few grams less than the current world record). 2 weeks back another was landed which beat the current record by a wide margin.

One thing i have observed that all the subaitis are being caught during low tide. Hope to land a brute this weekend.

Regards

Tight LInes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 am 
Fishaholic

there is a place dez.. which is still quite pristine.. remote .. where the subaiti breams are in the 5 and 6 kilo mark.. mad sizes...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

HUH!!!

Come on please whisper the co-ordinate :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:26 pm 
Fishaholic

hehehe.. dez you'll have to go to southern oman..(general direction) forget the bream every thing else is king size too over there..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hmm if not southern oman at least the MCT area. hopefully during eid.

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:55 pm 
Fishaholic

mct area.. will only greet you with tidlers.. and if you like beach fishing then you can have stingrays and sandsharks and small fingermarks.. breams here are not big.. and mostly the spikey black bream.