->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:12 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

I am thinking of experimenting first with only a pop-up rig( feeder later) here in pune as most of the riverbeds have algae or plants...
I have read almost all posts and links on feeder and pop ups but haven't figured out which colour rohu, mrigal, kalbouse are attracted to...
have seen most pop-up rigs with a red coloured cork/popup...and Will it be ok if I make a dough recipe and smear it over the cork(so that it releases the flavour in the water) ?
Please guide... :roll: :-)

Regards,
raka (Rakesh)

Last edited by raka on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Raka,

Use color 'Yellow/Bright Orange Food colour' for making pop-up's.
Groud bait the area well before fishing.
U can make pop up boilies at home in micro oven.

Regards
fishergomian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks man...will have to buy the colour or will use turmeric pwdr Unfortunately I only have a otg... :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Here's a picture of the pop up rig I made 1 hr ago...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Though I am not too sure if this will work for kalbouse (or any other carps) :( will it ? ... suggestions anyone ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 pm 
Fishaholic

It might!!!! never say never and you never know until you try.... One question, whats the bottle cover doing? is it a part of the setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic

hehehe... no re its for measurement comparison just in case my fingers and the lead pellet don't work... :lol: Will try it this weekend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice work on your first attempt to pop-up rig. Congrats Rakesh.

To me, we should select some natural color which is visible from long distance under water – For the same reason dark colour should be avoided and white would be best option. I am not sure if fish can distinguish different colour like us or they just recognize based on brightness and smell.
Keep on doing your experiment and tell us your successful story.

Thanks,
Sandip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Sandip ! :D
yes... also the water here is kinda greenish at most places so a bright colour would do... but mostly fish find their food here by smell, so Groundbaiting or using an attractant to attract fish would work perhaps...

Thanks again ! :D
Regards
raka(Rakesh)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 pm 
Fishaholic

It's really very impressive and attractive to see Pune Gang in action. The best part is that you guys are experimenting a lot with in a very limited access to resources.

I too believe smell will attract the fishes - But natural smell would be much preferable I believe - Try to keep it as natural as possible.

All the best. Hope you guys will try your luck this weekend? Keep us posted....
:D :D :D

Note - Please try to meet Powai gang in Mumbai specially Ali Bhai - This will certainly add lots of value to your angling vision.

Thanks,
Sandip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hehehe well what can you say ! Necessity is the mother of all inventions...and innovations...:-D
Will keep you posted bro... Thanks for the suggestions...
And I am kinda busy with finding a job next week... Will have to check n fix the time n date for powai... Par jaana toh pakka hain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

I went through ali bhai's posts again and made some changes to the weight of the old one...and made a new one with a bigger hook than the previous one... Its almost balanced...

when I am holding it in my hand and not leaving it to touch the bottom the cork floats on the surface, it seemed like it wont go down...

but after letting it go, it slowly goes down and touches the bottom...

same with the old one...

both on a proper scale... wine corks used (guess drinking wine has its perks :lol: )

I know I used mono for the rig, so I have doubt that it'll be much effective...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:57 pm 
Fishaholic

rakesh.. use 10 or 15 lb braid in moss green..round out the cork.. still some ajustment is required and then you can use it with the feeder rig (in bolt or sliding form) .. can show you if you wanna meet in the evening tomm.. also about the colours to use in dark waters.. ..its simple.. locals throw prasad into the water.. bundi etc.. the colours are mostly orange and yellow.. use the same.. will explain details when you meet.. ciao.. happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

ok... thanks will meet tomorrow evening if you are free... dont have a braided line... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Use braid as Daryl has suggested and use it with inline spring feeder (easy to make on your own). balance the rig using split shots (you can use those airgun pellets).

You also need to upgrade the hooks. they have to be super sharp.

BTW, what airgun do you have?

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hmm...braid I will have to arrange from somewhere... I will make one(spring feeder) on my own or modify the one nirupam da has bought...Should the split shot/airgun pellet be sliding one ? (should it slide up and down the braid ?) or not moving ?... The hooks I am using are: the big one :- limerick size 8 and the small one :- Mustad size 12 I think... I also have pioneer size 8 baitholder hooks, but they have barbs so might not work... these would do right ?

and I am thinking of using just pop up rigs on a float for now(will this work ?)... and if this experiment works, move on further to Feeder...thats ok kya ?

thanks for the advices santosh :D

and the airgun is an old one(15+ years)...
national air rifles .22 cal Made in India, thats what it read 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 pm 
Fishaholic

The split shot should not be sliding.

I don’t have a picture of the complete setup at the moment to explain the finer details. However, you can have some idea from the below picture. I prefer size 6 & 4 wide gap hooks.

I also have one old IHP .22, have not used it for ages now.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

ok...I'll start on to make split shots out of those pellets... Wide gap hooks... thats the U shaped hooks ! I have some eyeless bengali hooks probably size 6(extremely sharp) Think that'll work ?

same here... Its aim is all messed up. everytime I try to shoot that rodent in my backyard, it misses its mark ! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Can you post a picture of hooks you have? If you wish, I can send you some carp hooks that I have.

The reason I don’t use my IHP is that I have better ones.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

These are the bengali hooks, U shaped, very sharp, and eyeless...

Lexi pen for size comparison (and my index finger)

I only have these three... the shop doesn't have this size anymore...

nice... I am not much into Airgunning... My dad and brother are... :roll:

is there a hair rig knot for eyeless hooks ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:39 pm 
Fishaholic

The hooks look OK.. i am very bad with knot names :oops: .. but I guess its snell knot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks... I'll start on the feeder from tomorrow...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Can I use my Halco Roosta and the Yozuri Dumbbell in your tank please :)

Just want to check the popping sound it makes.

All the best on the hair rig.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Sure you can ! anytime you want ! ;P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Good going keep it up!

was there any luck in your tank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks man... Still to try it though...
No man... the fishes are too small to get hooked...Now I am thinking to turn my community aquarium into a bait aquarium you know small crabs, live frogs, small fishes, shrimps, snails etc for using as bait as well for show...8)
where were you man ? busy with fishing huh ? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 pm 
Fishaholic

I am sure your rig will work. It is beautifully balanced. Suggest you make one change in the setup. You have not passed the line through the eye of hook correctly. Pass it from the other side (From the backside of hook) and the rig will be perfect. I will recommend that you use only cork as the pop up. If you intend to use pop up without feeder then you have to put dough bait on it. In that case, balance the rig with dough bait.

Braid has its advantages but mono will also work very nicely for a pop up rig. If you do not succeed, experiment with different hook length, starting with a length of 10 to 12 Cms. balanced in middle.

On day I would love to fish with all you mad guys from Pune. Keep up the passion and I am sure the journey to catch a good fish will be as pleasant as catching the actual fish,

Regards

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 am 
Fishaholic

That is some really good expert advice ! :D thanks ali bhai for patiently reading through my post, and noticing minute details of the rig...will make the corrections.
please pardon me, but I have many questions to ask and lot of information to give you on the scene here...
Firstly the scene in pune...
I am targeting mostly kalbouse in the slow flowing river of indrayani...heard many a locals catch kalbouse. the fish, as you know has a very small mouth, thats why small hooks and a small popup cork.
I have no idea what groundbait or bait on hook will work especially for kalbouse. the feeder or the pop ups I am goin to try will be in a small moving river, I think nobody on IA has tried it before in a river, hence the nervousness and confusions...
the riverbed at places is mostly covered with green moss or gravel...the groundbait I have been using is : wheat flour + sugar syrup +shahi kahwa powder(thats elaichi powder, saffron, spices and ground sugar mixed and prepacked)and/or vanilla essence.

Now the doubts and questions that I have:
1. Instead of putting dough on the pop up cork, Can injecting vanilla essence and/or hing powder and/or any other essence(please suggest) in it work ?
2. I have changed the mono line 12lb (shown in the pictures) with a lighter 8 lb mono line, the corks have been rounded, the rig balanced... your thoughts on these(will post pictures tomorrow)
3. please enlighten me on the feeding habits of kalbouse(they say it doesnt gulp but nibbles uses its lips to suck the food ball)
4. please suggest any particular attractants and/or bait ingredients and /or essences especially for kalbouse...

I swear to god, if this works, I will from my heart thank you guys and ali bhai for the help that you provided... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 am 
Fishaholic

Further to Ali bhai advice, if you are not using a feeder and braid hook length, try the stiff rig with monofilament and bolt rig setup.

Since you will be fishing a slow flowing river, this setup will actually help. And no need to add a float to it. But make sure you have your rod secured or keep the drag completely loose.

Start with little bit of shahi kahwa powder mixed with dough bait ( Knead the white portion of bread) and put it on the cork in a way that you just cover it.

Don’t make your ground bait better than your hook bait. Try with bakery waste (cake) mixed with the soil from river bank in a proportion of 2:1. make TT size balls and ground bait.

Kalbouse do take pop ups,.. this one did.... :-)

Good luck..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Busy with finding new places, getting less time to spend with rod n reel! my brother and shadab bhai have been to manjeera during my office hr and had some luck there. They had seen that lungi wala again which we were discussing in fb. :lol:

Wish you best of lucks for your fish hunting as well as job hunting! Do follow the advice which both Ali bhai and Santosh are suggesting. I also agree with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Fishaholic

hi santosh,
Thanks ! will try these... and what does the bakery do with the bakery waste ? do they throw it or do they rechauffe/reuse it and make other bakery products ? because I heard from my bakery teacher in college that the leftovers from croissants, puffs, and khari were rechauffed into Cream rolls ! If they don't I will ask the nearby bakery if they can give me some :D... will groundbait as you suggested...

Hi Arish !
Good man... may you find an awesomest spot, almighty's will...:) hahahaa ya I remember the "lungi waala" :D... "job hunting" hehehe Still to find the elusive "sommelier" job species... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey santosh,
Did you catch that on just the pop up or the feeder +pop up ? Can you post a pic of the rig you used for this beautiful kanas ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey raka,

I am sure santosh bhai has used feeder with pop up hair rig for kalpose.I have learned this technique of fishing from him and ali bhai sometime later so go on with this and i am sure u will get your kalpose very soon. It is just the start there is lot of trial and error finding u have to do with the hooklenghts, weights, balancing, feeder bait, ground bait etc etc.

all the best, we never rest 8)
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:08 pm 
Fishaholic

hmm...I know manish I saw your posts about the feeder too...:) learned a little from that too...my pop up rigs are balanced almost perfectly... the feeder comes at a later stage as first I am experimenting with the pop ups...thanks brother... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Went to the river today to experiment with new pop ups that I made...

groundbaited the area
ground bait used (for attracting rohu and kalbouse) :-

fermented rice
Shahi kahwa powder
hing
sugar syrup
little yeast
this was fermented for 2 days

for the hookbait and for mixing half into groundbait
bread
milk powder sweetened

mixed the ingredients with mud near the riverbank...
made into a little larger than tt sized balls and chucked in a 3 parallel line pattern (ali bhai's concept :-))

waited for about an hour...

casted once and set the drag loose

aand the fisherman walked over the spot with his large net...

I think I snapped at that moment and My whole day went bad...
:x
would it be called paapi paet ? or a greedy heart !?
anyways here are a few pics and video of my new rig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Nc3FA9 ... e=youtu.be

tried tying my eyeless carp hooks with snell knot but couldnt... the knot just slipped away...
so have to improvise(removed the baitholder hook barbs with pliers)

Is their a way to detect a hook up ? (suppose I am away from the rod for a while)a bell or something ? or can I tie a float to the rig for bite detection ?

Thank you Santosh and Alibhai for without you guys, I wouldn't have taken interest in carp fishing and come this far...
Thank you Owen and Gavin for the awesome posts on kalbouse behavior... that was hard to find but learned a lot still... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Good going rakesh, keep it up the good work. Your sense is a way to detect hook up ;)

You should have kicked with that fisherman who stole your effort! and next time don't try to prepare all the ingredients at the spot as it will attract the attention of fishermen around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks man...
Hah man my senses are going haywire these days... Get nervous on choosing locations for baiting and fishing and end up same everyday...yumty handed-u :-(
Bro I didn't want to end up sleeping with the fishes :lol: he was a healthy guy and with his whole family of 5 6 children !!! Ya man I'll keep that in mind... And Allah ne chaaha toh in machwaade ko kuch akl aajaaygi...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:40 am 
Fishaholic

very sad to hear about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hi raka!!!!!!

Your hard work will pay off soon....so try not to loose patience.

well after having a look on pictures i think your hooklenghts are too big. it is my suggestion that you use shorter hooklenghts of around 2" to 3".... decision is upto you.

happy fishing
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

hi manish,

Thanks man...:)

Yes I also think they are too long... ali bhai had said around 10-12cms thats about 3- 4 inches. I think 2 inches will be too short. Thanks again man. I'll make the changes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Good work there Rakesh, it’s nice to see you working on it, which is a good sign.. all newcomer who do this, get their dream fish. I am sure, more sooner than later you will succeed. I am sorry not to post the picture of my feeder rig. Will do so ASAP.

Tight lines.. Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:51 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks santosh...
please please post your feeder pics as I have found the perfect spot for groundbaiting and the river bottom is gravely, unlike other parts where its mossy or rocky...this week toh pakka man !!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Things that you will need to make a similar spring feeder:-

Fairly strong wire.

empty pen refill

cycle tyre valve rubber tubing

cork ball

Nice to know you have identified a promising spot, invest some time there and hopefully it will be rewarding.. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Kudos to you my friend! very heartening to hear what happened, none the less don't despair or begrudge the effort you made because someone came, Like Arish said, be a little more secretive and discreet when you do the ground baiting, and more over it will be more fun if we try out what Darryl has said 5-6 of us, every day one person goes and baits the area very discreetly and the 6th day or 7th day all of us hit the spot with yet a lot more bait. I guess this should ensure success, plus finding the gravely river bed is a good sign! Lets see how it happens the coming weekends, your lucky you have the time, Cheers again and Kudos to the effort you are putting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks a lot santosh... I'm on it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Omesh !
Its difficult being secretive when the fishermen are scattered at each and every spot in the river... still I'll try to find a perfect place...
6 of us man ! If I count there are barely 3 or 4 of us and will they be free on days allotted ?...and nobody will cooperate unless they are sure that it will be a success... no offense to anyone... plus most of puneri anglers are freshwater cum salty jyaada anglers... :lol:

If we really want to do it... Lets do it !!! Its now or never... because when the rains start neither will groundbaiting work nor the feeder(fast flow)...So lets make time, meet and plan...

Thanks man... I am trying my level best to become a good Freshwater angler while there is still free time...After a few months you won't even see me around... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 pm 
Fishaholic

i know a spot.. and last time even sanjay was keen.. infact it was his suggestion.. about groundbaiting a spot.. by 6 chaps for 6 days.. i went quiet suddenly coz i couldnt risk spoiling the future of the place..

rakesh...as for rains ..dont worry.. that time you wont need the feeder or pop up.. just simple ledger rig into the current and there will be action..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hmm...
I wont be around in the rainy reason bro... Job job job... So I am trying to make the most of this season :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Was very busy in between as I had gone to bengaluru for a job interview...
now finally after so much encouraging by fellow anglers I decided to make a feeder... :D

one of the old popup hook was rendered straight the last time I tried them in a rocky place...also I tried snell knots on the bengali hooks but failed as the knot slipped through it( couldn't hammer the tips too because didn't have the right tools for the job [smilie=hammerit.gif] )...:( Unsure of what to do, I cut both the hooks and sat thinking, when suddenly noticed my oldest single bengali hook(that gave me my first butter catfish)... smaller in size than the bengali hooks shown above in a jhuppi...
Collected stuff and made these in 3 hrs...

The rig with the new bengali hook tied using the snell knot

the rig and the feeder...

Mujhe shakti do maa !!! :x ... wish me luck guys... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

raka wrote:
Mujhe shakti do maa !!! :x ...

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Goinhg Rakesh, some serious study and lot of efforts. I am sure your first fish is not far away.

For your identified spot, suggest you use the below given ground bait and feeder bait.

GROUND BAIT.

Two pack of bread.
Aata
Shugar Syrup.
Powder Soyabean.

Soak the bread in water and mix the same with hand so as it bgecomes semi liquid.

Add some sugar syrup to it.

Add 100 Grms of Soyabean powder in the above mix.

Leave the same for half an houre.

Now mix as much Aata to the above paste so that you can form throwable balls from the mix.

Feeder bait.

Take 50 grms of rise and 4-6 elaychi and grind the same in a mixi. Add 250 Grms of rosted grams (Chana) inh the mix and grind them together. Add 50 Grms of shugar in the mix and againh grind the same together. Mix 250 grm of Rice powder in the above mix. Store the powder mix in a air tight container.

Now take one bread loaf anhd gently grind them in a mixi so that the bread becomes like small crumbs.

When fishing, take one part of powder and add some water to it. Mix it by hand and go on adding the water till you can form balls of the mixture by squeeze the same by hand. Add equal ammount of bread crumbs to the above mix and once again mix the same gently. This is your hook bait. :wink:

Go Rakesh, catch a fish man :P

Best of luck...

Regards,

Ali..