[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Of Fish Traps and Basic Lessons Relearned - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:26 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:43 pm 
Enlightened

The common carp in the lake have been acting up for the last few months. It has been a chancy thing as to whether you will get one or not. Yet there was a time when they easily provided the bulk ot the catch.

To me they are essentially a nuisance fish. They breed annually and totally upset any programmes for feeding or making the fish grow larger by negating all calculations of the fish population in the lake. Annual netting saw some of them removed but they are masters of evasion.The toll taken by the Notopterus chitala in the lake on the fingerlings and by, I suspect, all fish on the eggs helped a great deal.

But a substantial number were taken by my fishing friends. All other fish in the lake are essentially on a catch and release system. The carp catch meant they had some fish to take back home.

We being the lazy sods we are had carried on fishing with our float gear and bread and ants eggs paste without which no true Bong feels a fish can be caught and even if caught it smacks of something underhand.

The carp on the other hand being the cunning foxes they are had long wisened up to this and swore off all that whiffed of bread and ants eggs as being antisocial and a crime against anything carp.

I finally got off my butt and rigged up the simplest of bolt rigs with a hair rigged hook.

Baited it with a kernel or two of sweet corn

Threw in half a tin of the same in a likely place .....

et voila

The largest one went 4.8 Kg. We whacked them out fast and furious to the delight of all my friends. But I have to admit that the bolt rig is nothing but a fish trap. It lacks the thrills of interpreting each tremor of the float, of timing the strike or giving lifelike movement, nay - verily life, to a lure. You throw it out, the fish hangs itself and you wind it in! Egg without salt. Not my cup of tea, really. But nevertheless it is a perfectly valid and sporting tactic in itself.

Lesson 1: A lazy angler is just a watcher of the waters and no fisherman!

Lesson 2: All fish learn and a simple change of tactic - nothing cutting edge or rocket science - will put fish on the bank.

You all knew that anyway.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:11 pm 

wow...re-relearned...thanks a lot neighbour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:28 pm 
Fishaholic

what a write up!!! very nice pics and thoughts too... ( i fall in first category i guess.... lazy angler :( )

this will definitely make anglers rethink what they are doing ( or not doing )
and will certainly help them re-learn... :P :P

regards,

Dr. Prasad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:22 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:19 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Another good one from our Friendly neighbourhood :D

Thanks for sharing O Great Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks to all for your kind comments including O Great Lionheart! I am a little slow and lazy in my fishing unlike most of you who seem to be trying everything under the sun and doing very well out of it. So it was like having the class master hold me by the ear while I repeated my lessons.

Scott

The demise of the carp is the end result aimed at. That notwithstanding, I agree that one must be sporting and humane in our approach to angling. So a carp dying of starvation by being tethered to the sinker is not to be desired.

Actually that picture of the bolt rig was the first version at the start of the day. I was, as usual, too lazy to take pictures as my approach evolved. The sliding rig stopped with a swivel changed to a fixed lead system with hook link, sinker and main line all attached to one swivel. I then changed to a running lead with line taught to a stout fishing rod's tip. This did mean that the running line did not lie flat on the bottom but my carp are not that sophisticated yet. When the carp took the bait it felt the weight which possibly also pulled the hook in partially resulting in the fish bolting. This lifted the weight from the bottom on the line taught to the rod tip and pulled in the hook some more. Eventually the rod and reel ensemble would slide along the top of the fishing platform signalling to me a fish was on . I would then dive into action. It worked pretty well. It also had the merit that if the line to the hook link snapped above the swivel the sinker, a running lead actually, would simply slide of the line.

However I would like you to consider the following. I am not convinced that a carp would stay tethered to the sinker via the hook link in the case of a snapping of the running line. You hook a fish and allow the line to slacken and the fish is off instantly. Or more to the point, allow a fish to snag you and by the time you or your ghillie has gone in and retrieved your gear the fish is off. Fish have an uncanny ability to rid themselves of the hook. However, there may be a small chance that a fish may be tethered and so I agree that we owe it to our quarry to be as careful as possible.

Thanks for the advice.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful Carp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:24 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:12 pm