->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: GT Rod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 pm 

I have recently purchased a Shimano Kaibutsu Long Cast for GT fishing. The butt section of this rod is quite long with about 56 cm from the base of the rod to the middle of the reel seat. Even with my 6' height, it is a bit uncomfortable to use.

I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to have the butt section shortened by about 3 - 4 inches. And if it can be shortened, is there any place in India where it can done (any custom rod buliders around)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:36 pm 
Fishaholic

The reason it is so long in the butt section is twofold:

- being a long cast rod means just that..it is intended to cast to locations where it is too dangerous to go near to the reefs.An elongated butt section enables
a two handed grip to make those long casts.

-secondly, the present trend with light yet strong rods (especially those with a high graphite content) is to reel in the fish with the butt section of the rod held well under the armpit. The rod is thus held parallel to the water surface and still puts enormous pressure on the fish.

This is to avoid high sticking (putting the rod above 45 degree angle) which
will cause graphite rods to snap and break.

I would suggest you try two handed casting with the rod and retrieving with the butt section held
under the armpit and see how it feels, then decide if you wish to fish in this manner before shortening the butt.

Please also consider the imbalance cutting the butt could create, loss of inherent strength and most definitely, it will void any manufacturer's warranty on the rod.

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:51 pm 

Kingfish, thanks for the reply. Both the reasons in your reply have me slightly confused:

1. the distance from bottom of the rod to middle of reel seat is more than 2 feet, while casting I anyway have to hold my left hand at least 6 - 8 inches above the rod base. Even with this kind of a grip, the casts are fairly decent (~70m consistently without too much effort). If I put my left hand at the bottom of the rod, the space between the hands is so much that it becomes uncomfortable to cast (pulling the left hand down becomes more difficult) and the casting distance reduces a bit. Therefore, the way I see it, these 6 - 8 inches are the extra bit.

2. With this rod, most of the fightingis is done with a belt and gimbal. Unless it is a very low slung belt, using this rod with a normal belt is quite difficult since the long butt section tends to forces you to keep the rod high and increase the danger of high sticking. On a recent trip, evertytime the fish made a dive near the boat, I had to take the rod out of the gimbal and put it between my legs, I just could not avoid high sticking the rod with it in the belt. If I fight the fish with the rod under my armpits, the long butt section is less of a problem, but the belt really makes you feel the length of the butt section (but the under armpit style is not really feasible for me when targetting GTs).

I dont mind getting the butt section shortened if it can be done properly without comprimising the strength of the blank (I really dont care about the manufacturer warranty, not like they have a authorised store in India where getting customer service is a breeze). Some forums out there suggest that this can indeed be done, just need to get hold of a guy who knows what he is doing.

I personally think that this rod will be better balanced with 6 inches lopped off the butt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish, I too got confused [smilie=dunceblock.gif] by your reply. I do think that a long but section will hinder casting, as the perfect lenght will be ones shoulder width. Almost every one who bought this rod has reported the same issues and many were happy after shortening by 1-3 inches. Even getting rods in India is a daydream, forget about rod builders. It is time to learn rod building.
@Ashwyn: Kindly post your review about the rod. I am also eyeing on it [smilie=happyspin.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:11 pm 
Fishaholic

I am eyeing it too.. Ashwyn, can I have a look at LC..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Gentlemen,

I sympathise with your predicament. The uncharitable would say that you should have tried out the rod before purchasing it, without realising the futility of being able to do so if one is based in India and has to order an item sight unseen from abroad.

Perhaps you should first try to dispose off the rods as they are, before taking
any drastic action ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm 

A small correction, my rod in question is the Shimano Kaibutsu Deep Monster (and not the long cast as erroniously mentioned in the first post). My apologies for the inadvertent mistake.

Santosh, I will put up some pictures soon. You are more than welcome to check it out in person as well.

Kingfish - thanks for the suggestion, I think I will keep the rod (it was such a pain getting it in the first place). But will figure out shortly how to get the butt section sorted.