->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Help identifying lures
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 pm 

Can some please tell me what these lure are and how to use them? I think the two on the bottom right are spoons, but what are the rest?

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa13 ... 1306430863

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:01 am 
Fishaholic

Ok.
If top left is very light, it's a flyrod popper and it it's heavy, it's a jig head but it's hard to tell from the photo.
The rest of the top row are spinners.
Bottom left is a shallow running crankbait.
1st in from the bottom left and the two on the bottom right are spoons and the other two are lipless crankbaits.

The spinners will be OK for shallow freshwater with a simple straight retrieve at a speed from one that's just quick enough to cause the blade to rotate to one that brings the lure right to the surface.
The shallow running crankbait can be used in fresh or saltwater and can be retrieved straight using it's own built in action, brought in with varying speeds or popped and twitched very slowly on the surface.
The spoons ( I recognise them, they are small and light and used to be sold from a card a few years vack) are used pretty much the same way as the spinners.
The lipless brankbaits are sinkers that make a lot of noise on the way in. The will cast further than the others, they are good for either fresh or saltwater and are a good choice if the water is muddy. Keep your rod up and the lure moving though or they will sink to deep and you will snag them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:29 am 

Thank you so much. I am hoping that your information will help me get my first snakehead... or maybe something bigger.

Its funny you recognize the spoons... they are over forty years old. My dad got them as souvenirs from the US when he was a kid.

There were some other lures but I cant find them.

My worst fear is losing these. If they can catch fish, I need to be able to reproduce them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:48 am 
Fishaholic

Sadly, I'm well over 40 years old myself !
The one on the bottom right may be an original but what sparked my memory was the catapilar type spoon at bottom left.
This and abunch of others including copies of the one on bottom right used to be sold in tackle shops cheaply when I was a kid.
The ones that I saw were probably the first tranche of Chinese copies of American lures to hit the western market.
At the time though, lures were hard to find in Europe where coarse fishing reigned supreme so we would buy them, catch a few fish and watch them rust away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Sadly, I'm well over 40 years old myself !

It should read "proudly" and not "sadly".
Where else are we gonna get such information from?

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I don't think I'm ready for the title of "venerated elder" just yet. ;)