->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Inland barramundi?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:32 am 
Fishaholic

Can anyone advise if you can catch barramundi in any other location except the sea coast in India?

How far inland do the rivers that flow into the ocean (Indian, Bay of Bengal)
hold barramundi ?

Is it possible that, if such rivers do hold barra and overflow during the monsoons - barra could wind up in ponds and other bodies of enclosed waters ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:57 am 
Fishaholic

In Australia, barramundi get well up rivers and when they partly dry up after the wet season leaving behind a serise of freshwater pools or "billabongs", the barramundi do very well.
Barra are actually stocked in a lot of reseviours and impoundments in tropical Aurstralia and they grow to huge sizes in totally fresh water.
I used to corespond with a guy from Queensland who fished a reseviour where the barra averaged 20 - 25kg's !
Those fish were stocked as fingerlings but I've read that barra, MJ's and several other estuary species can be successfully adapted from salt to fresh water in as little as 10 hours by gradually decreasing the salinity.

The only major difference between salt and freshwater barra is the colour.
Saltwater fish are bright silver with yellow tails whereas freshwater fish are usually much darker.
Predictably, saltwater barra are said to be better eating though.

Not sure how far up the Ganges and other Indian rivers they penetrate though.

Edit: Oops ! Sorry Kingfish, I just noticed your location. I rather suspect I've just tols you what you already know.

Post subject: Re: Inland barramundi?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Is it possible that, if such rivers do hold barra and overflow during the monsoons - barra could wind up in ponds and other bodies of enclosed waters ?

I have noticed some ponds/water holes do hold barras. During the monsoons when fresh rain water from a pond over flows into esturies and the fingerlings swim up stream. These fingerlings grow upto 1lbs till the month of Dec or Jan . Some fish swim back some get stranded in such water bodies. Conditions do change from location to location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

From what I have heard they are know to travel upstream. I know of places which are 30 miles away from the Coast and have been holding barras and MJ's as well.

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
From what I have heard they are know to travel upstream. I know of places which are 30 miles away from the Coast and have been holding barras and MJ's as well.

Cheers - DeZZ

HUMMM!!!!! :roll: :roll: hope to see such place some time in life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken,

Not to worry - you have expressed things very clearly for those who were not aware that barra can be stocked in dams and perhaps this is something that the Indian fisheries can contemplate?

Kind regards,
Kingfish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 pm 
Fishaholic

mailme.mario wrote:
teritex wrote:

Cheers - DeZZ

I have been to that place. And the only authenticity of this is the people who have told me about it. I have not personally witnessed it. Again the factor of "Anglers NOT Lying" has to be taken into consideration. But at the same time I can assure you the so called water body has link to the sea :) So as the probability theory goes, there is a possibility of their existence that far :)

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 am 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
mailme.mario wrote:
teritex wrote:

Cheers - DeZZ

I have been to that place. And the only authenticity of this is the people who have told me about it. I have not personally witnessed it. Again the factor of "Anglers NOT Lying" has to be taken into consideration. But at the same time I can assure you the so called water body has link to the sea :) So as the probability theory goes, there is a possibility of their existence that far :)

Cheers - DeZZ

I TRUST your words man. But just wondering :roll: :roll: :roll: when teritex is going to invite me again which you suerly will but can i make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:59 am 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
mailme.mario wrote:
teritex wrote:

Cheers - DeZZ

Cheers - DeZZ
we both will try out this place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Seriously though, I wish to raise the following points:

1. How far upstream (upriver?) has anyone caught barramundi in India ?

2. What is the possibility of stocking dams (impoundments) with barra in India?

This has been done very successfully in Australia (as Ken pointed out) and I see no reason why it can not happen in India.

The climate is quite similar and I would think that the barra would survive by eating the insects, frogs ,snakes and baitfish that reside in any large body
of water in India.

Just imagine, this would enable us to go after 20 kilo barras !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:12 am 
Fishaholic

On most big rivers on the west coast Barra's have been known to be found upstream. I have land on Mumbai - Goa highway and a tributary of the main river that empties at Jaigad on the west coast runs parallel to the land. Last year after the monsoon, locals there netted 4 barra's and all were above 12 – 15 Kg mark. The distance from jaigad to this place would be approximately 20 to 25 KM.

Another river down south where I go fishing, I have lost some monster fish that were opening my 4 x hooks. This was almost 10 - 15 KM up river. I also landed several big MJ's at this place. Fish I lost could be barra’s.

Another river that is north of Mumbai, one of my local friend has taken a barra of 15 KG and the location is good 10 to 15 km upstream. (I have also caught a small trevally in monsoon there)

All this places have deep pools which are not easily netted and I am sure Barra's there are of enormous size.

Some smaller dams in Raigad Dist. of Maharashtra also have stocked barra's. In some of this places the not all barra's can be harvested due to rocky and uneven nature of the bottom, so I am sure finding some big ones there is possible.

Powai lake in Mumbai also had barra's that were introduced many years back. Lot of this barra's were lost during Mumbai floods, however many claim that few monsters still survive and are unstoppable.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:13 am 

don't know how far upstream it comes but its found in the rivers in and around sundarbans, never seen or heard one caught in hooghly though. But I know for a fact that it is farmed all over southern West Bengal, in ponds and fisheries.
Largest one i saw in a pond was in sundarbans weighing in at 12kg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:15 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you santosh and jishu87 - what you have said reinforces my feeling that there were inland barramundi in India, which were not reported for any number of reasons.

If some authorities have had the vision of stocking barra in dams and these are also stocked in ponds, is it not feasible to lobby the Fisheries Dept. to stock more places for barra angling?

I know that things work slowly and also that such stocked barra will taste very muddy (going by reports from Aus. anglers) but what a fantastic boost to sportfishing !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 am 
Fishaholic

MERWYNTIGER wrote:
we both will try out this place

Indeed Tiger :)
@ Mario: The place is good for fresh water fishing. You have more fun in landing fishes from unknown places. Imagine the excitement if you land a barra or a MJ from a place that far. Where so far I have only managed to land freshwater eels :) Witnessed murrels and mahseer. BARRA would be an icing in the cake :)

Cheers - DeZZ