->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:57 am 

Hi, I am angler from Pakistan. Since our countries have almost same species of fish. I have been visiting this forum. I 've come across many references to Ragi Paste i have some idea what you guys mean by that: but can any one post complete recipe of it so that i can try it here :P

Btw I intend to use it for Golden Mahseer, Rohu and Catla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:18 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome aboard, hasham2.

You can find your answer here... http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=251

Not sure if it would work for you straight off the bat though. Ragi is a staple food in south India and is introduced into the waterways when the villagers clean their cooking utensils in the water.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum Hasham, hope to see more posts about your fishing experiences back home.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:50 am 

Ok ... I get the complete process but i don't know one thing what is Ragi it self can you describe it in English ... We use wheat flour (Atta) in similar way in Punjab, but some Bengali anglers i know use rice powder and results are better with that :-)

Take a look at this site for fishing info abt Pakistan

http://www.pgfa.org/index.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:07 am 

Hi Hasham2,

Try the below link, it should give a better description of Ragi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_millet

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Too good Alexis!,
Hi Hasham,
'When in Rome, do as the Romans do"
It will probably take months of feeding the fish ragi, before you start getting any bites.

Atta boiled for 5 or 10 minutes and mixed with a little haldi powder does really well in the north of India, and i hear some guys have had good success with it down south too.

You could lace the atta with a little hing to see if it brings in morebites.
I have heard of others trying ragi in the north as well as abroad, with no success.

As Bops says it is the staple food of the people of Karnataka, and the fish have been bred on it for ages, hence the results on ragi.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:16 pm 

Well I don't think we use Ragi as food in our country so i think that it will not work, and i should stick with Atta mixed with Hing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Right O. Even hing may not work, again it is a vital ingredient in south indian cooking, and the fish are used to it. So haldi may be your best bet.
As an alternate, try some Vanilla essence, strawberry essence, pista essence with the atta, sooner or later you will find a winning combination.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:30 pm 

Owen Bosen wrote:
Right O. Even hing may not work, again it is a vital ingredient in south indian cooking, and the fish are used to it. So haldi may be your best bet.
As an alternate, try some Vanilla essence, strawberry essence, pista essence with the atta, sooner or later you will find a winning combination.
Regards
Owen

I am sure of hing as it is used in this type of bait here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome aboard hasham and just a word of caution .... dont ask Gavin for his recipies for fishing ... you could find yourself short on a few essentials that make a good evening .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Hasham - Ever tried Biriyani ??? :lol:

For catla and rohu, there is a thread with my recipe in it.. But fluff knows where it is.. Guess one of the old timers, who live on this forum may tell u..

Owen ?? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:33 am 
Fishaholic

The Catla Code!
Do you really want me to post it again for you Gav? :roll:
Fred sees red when you talk of the hooch hitting the water. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:41 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Owen, just put up the link. Dont wanna give Freddie boy a reason to jump from the balcony :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:11 am 
Fishaholic

The cooks culinary delight. It will keep the catlas swaying to your tune!
Owen
Here's my secret to catching catlas.. - Gavin Cook

Groundbaiting
As already mentioned in my thread, the groundbait has to be sweet-smelling and oily…

For this, take about 10kgs of molasses and mix with about 3-4kgs of oil-cake.. Take some garlic 750 to 1000 gms and pound it a bit so as to just break the pods. Then mix this to the molasses and oil cake.. Then add about a kg or a kg-and-half of rapeseed oil.. Then take a bottle of rum and mix the same with the entire lot.. PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE STUFF DOES NOT COME IN CONTACT WITH ANY MOISTURE OR WATER. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Put this in an airtight container and store in the sun.. This will allow for the ground bait to cook and get seasoned.. Longer you keep it, the better the groundbait becomes.. I have groundbaits stored for some 4 months now and intend to use them as soon as winter sets, which is the perfect time for catlas to eat..

You also need to take some avilakki or cheera and soak this in some country liquor. This should be kept overnight..
About 500gms of avilakki/cheera should do for one day of fishing.. Store this in an airtight container.. If you have got the avilakko in a bottle, ensure the country liquor level is about 2 inches above the avilakki as the avilakki will soak up the liquid fast.. Please make two lots of this.. One for the day prior to fishing and one for the fishing day..

The evening before you plan to fish, you need to groundbait your swim.. For this, take about 500grams of groundbait and mix with some mud taken from the bank of where u planning to fish.. Mix this in the ratio of 1:1.. The ground bait needs to be soft and made into golf ball-size balls and kept aside..

Then take the avilakki that has been soaking overnight and make them into same size balls.. (hint: keep wetting your hands while you are making the balls, this will not allow the ground bait or the avilakki to stick to your hands and will allow for ease. )

I normally fish a distance of 25-30 yards.. So I groundbait at a distance of 18-20 yards. Reason being that catlas being timid fish, usually stay on the periphery of the groundbait..

Both the avilakki and the groundbait is dropped at about 18-20 yards from the Bank….

Bait

I normally fish for catla with a home-made pulao mixed with bread paste and ants eggs….

For the pulao you require:
1 kg satoo (chick-pea flour), 250gms coconut oil, 200gms elaichi, 200gms javetri, 2pcs nutmeg..

First you heat the coconut oil and once bubbles start to appear, then add the elaichi and stir.. When the elaichi is 3/4 browned then add the satoo and continue frying..

In the meanwhile, ground the javetri and nutmeg to powder and add it to the satoo and then keep stirring for a little while… Once the satoo changes to a light brown, take it off and allow to cool.. You will now get a sweet smell from it.. Once this happens, its ready for use..

Store this in an airtight container…
You take this pulao and mix this with your bread paste.. Ensure that the bait is soft.. Put your hooks in and you are ready for action… Add ants eggs if you are able to get some…

On the day of fishing, take equal amount of groundbait as the evening before and repeat the above process.. The avilakki to be kept aside and at intervals of 45 minutes to an hour, you can just throw about 2-3 balls..

You bait needs to placed at least 5 yards ahead of your groundbait… The bait has to be round and in the shape of a ball… All the hooks to be embedded in the bait.. Then take a little raw ground bait and just lightly spread it at the top of the bait only.. This will attract the catla…

As Vishal as also mentioned, you can use vanilla essence but be careful not to overdo this as if the smell is too strong, the catla will not take the bait…

Regarding the cake cutting, you can also use this as an alternative for the evening groundbaiting… The avilakki is important though.. The buggers have the avilakki and get drunk and remain in the area for atleast 8 hours.. Once they get over the booze, their appetite grows and if your bait is in the area, you gonna hear your reel sing…

Hope this helps you, do let me know if you require any more details or clarifications on this...

Thanks & Regards,
Gavin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Gav u fluff .... u bent on taking the prices of the hooch higher is it ? stop throwing the stuff into the water ... im worried the fish might turn out like you and then we would have to send them to AA ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Right said Fred! :lol:
Hey matey what's up with your "chuddy dosth " Bobby ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Send him a PM ... looks like he lost "Hish Chuddy " fishing the Angre . No word from him nor news of his " Big Blue " fish .. Must have caught a rash and some sunburn with all the heavy tackle he must have carried . Hey Bobster if youre reading this post .... send us some pictures of the fish or the rash and sunburn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Freddie - But what a way to go, aint it ??? We should respect the fish and should also make them feel good at times.. A little grog now and then does help them to get over the hook-ups and the break-ups :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Very Poetic ........ Gavin Wordsworthless ... i like the sound of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:05 pm 
Fishaholic

:mrgreen: